We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What did they get or do right/wrong?

Eudemon

Alrighty we know that TDU2 is in the early stages of planning or even development so it got me thinking, what did the original Test Drive Unlimited get right and what did it get wrong? In your opinion what pleased you and what annoyed you. Please back up your post with a sentence or two and don't just say "XYZ rocks!" or "XYZ sucks!" and the like. You never know who is watching the boards (well not right now as it's quiet but you know what I mean) and of course we are the ones who buy the game so we know what we're after and want in the final product.

Please post like:

Did/Got right:

* XYZ - sentence or two about why it was right and what you personally liked about it.

Did/Got wrong:

* XYZ - sentence or two about why it was wrong and what you personally disliked about it.

Thank-you.

Got Right -

The Modeling Of The Cars

Some Of The Car Sounds

Driving Physics.....70% Right (Thats What Hardcore Mode is For)

Got Wrong -

Smoothness Of The Roads

Sounds of ALOT of Cars.....i.e SLR, Enzo etc

Making The Windscreen get dirty....then Not Being Able to clean it

Making The Airport's out of Dirt

Thats all i can think of really.....i know about all the silly glitches...but they will get fixed for TDU2 im sure

Alrighty we know that TDU2 is in the early stages of planning or even development so it got me thinking, what did the original Test Drive Unlimited get right and what did it get wrong?

:hmm: only 1(Xbox 360)/4 of original tdu is out, and they´re developing new already!?!?!

I´ll add my list when it´s relased to PC.

There was a post on the EU boards a couple of months back asking what would you like to see added in the next TDU. The next iteration of a series is usually being planned before the first one is out the door as they learn so much while making the first that they know how to better improve perfomance in the next. It's like the developer at Bizarre Creations (Project Gotham Racing series) says:

Each game is a learning experience and over the course of two years you can learn a massive amount, but you can’t keep going back and changing things every time you know how to do them better than when you first started. There has to be a period in the project when certain aspects of both Art and Code are locked down and only looked at if serious bugs appear. As an artist this is frustrating but it is necessary!

Got right

• Car Models
  • Expanse of road networks
  • Enough Houses
  • Ease of getting all the cars you want without too much difficulty
  • Everything else i don't criticise below

Got wrong

• Streaming from disc technology - Most people have a Hdd, use it to pre load from the disc!
  • Not enough variety of vehicles, we should have exotic, rare and concept vehicles, but should also incluse 4x4's
  • Off road driving - driving on grass is the same as sand or the airport "runway" - there should be specific changes seen on types of surfaces so there is a possibilty of beach drag racing or runway drag strip
  • The addition of bikes - seems like an afterthought
  • Realistic weather effects during freeride - races could be varied by using weather, and it would be more interesting from stalling in the wet
  • Night time driving - i like NFS:U2 due to this, it would be good to have a day / night rotation

Right

Sence of speed

Some car sounds

Reflections (not mirrors though)

some aspects of interior view (windows, gearchange, rearview into back of car)

tyre smoke

car pricing

Size of map

Wrong

Speedos (digital and ones which go all the way back to 0 when you hit 160mph..)

Interior (not enough hand animation, no backlights on dials, mirror draw distance sucks!)

speech on mic (no indicator of who is speaking)

gravity (wont let you jump at all)

needs a prefix tag to indicate clubs

needs better integration of clubs

there should heavier traffic where it would be (rarely any traffic in mountains, lots (gridlock maybe) in city

no night-time

no weather

i rarely drive in the city, i usually just drive outside of it

Likewise..

Got Right: Hmmm

Got Wrong: Tuning (way too limited)

Inside houses, alot look the same in the inside! This is just plain Lazy!

Teleporting to people on the motorway, very often sent on wrong side of the road!

Bigger selection of cars/bikes (well it's coming along)..

Likewise..

Got Right: Hmmm

Got Wrong: Tuning (way too limited)

Inside houses, alot look the same in the inside! This is just plain Lazy!

Teleporting to people on the motorway, very often sent on wrong side of the road!

Bigger selection of cars/bikes (well it's coming along)..

I agree we need more bikes, we only have a handfull of them

Right

Sence of speed

Some car sounds

Reflections (not mirrors though)

some aspects of interior view (windows, gearchange, rearview into back of car)

tyre smoke

car pricing

Size of map

Wrong

Speedos (digital and ones which go all the way back to 0 when you hit 160mph..)

Interior (not enough hand animation, no backlights on dials, mirror draw distance sucks!)

speech on mic (no indicator of who is speaking)

gravity (wont let you jump at all)

needs a prefix tag to indicate clubs

needs better integration of clubs

there should heavier traffic where it would be (rarely any traffic in mountains, lots (gridlock maybe) in city

no night-time

no weather

I Compleatly agree with this list. Opening up all the airports would have been good plus more people on each server.

My opinion of what they did well

-the free roaming concept (still some bugs with the world not always loading or slight pauses but nothing serious, also a little issue with being ploped on the correct road when there's over/underpasses)

-alot of the car sounds and looks

-the feel of the world (places look different enough that you can get a feel for each area of the island)

My opinion on what they can improve

-the gearing on some cars (primarily the ones that hit top speed in 5th gear instead of 6th in real life, the first couple gears are basically useless as is in game)

-gauges that are lit up so you can read them all the time (as mentioned above)

-more players together in the world at one time

-smoother transitions during elevation/pitch changes in the road surface (to many abrupt angles which upset the cars handling)

I can probably think of more but most have probably been said or will be so I'll leave it at those for now.

• 1 month later...

good-

Little extras like opening windows and ability to change driving aids while on the move

The car milometers- make it rewarding to add distance

Achievement difficulty - challenging but not impossible

Improvements-

More cars and DLC

More traffic

Nightime and variable weather

better secret island

Easier to connect to friends

Option to use car washes and petrol stations