We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Looking for a survival game

MephistoRacing

Hey, been looking for a decent survivalish game for a while now, something like Jericho-ish (the TV series). So something post-apocalypticy, and more about actually getting by than just killing crap. Anyone know of anything like that?

Protip: Fallout is just killing crap, don't say Fallout.

I Am Alive looks decent-ish. How is it in terms of story telling? It looks a bit too action/horror-ish in that trailer

Isn't DayZ that zombie mod for ArmA? Looks fun in the videos I've seen, but not quite what I'm looking for. Also, Arma pretty much destroys my CPU.

EDIT: Just read this on the I Am Alive Wikipedia page:

"During encounters with hostile survivors, the player can use various tactics to stay alive, including sneaking to surprise enemies with a machete quick kill, performing stealth kills with a bow, or using bluff and intimidation e.g. pointing an empty gun at hostile non-player characters.

The game has an emphasis on climbing and exploration. The player will scale wrecked buildings and navigate hazardous areas. Every effort has a cost"

That does sound pretty damn awesome. Definitely in the maybe pile.

EDIT2: Reviews are making it sound pretty linear. Is there anything similar but open-world? (Sounds a lot like I want Minecraft, doesn't it?)

PC only? I would recommend the original Condemned if you can get it. If not just PC then there was an epic survival horror for PS3, would need to look out it's name. Fatal Frame is scary as hell on the Nintendo consoles too. There's also that 'The Forest' but that's still to come rather than out now.

Yeh, PC only pl0x.

Played a bit of I Am Alive, it's pretty decent, but I've died in every little fight so far, which I like, but sometimes it's annoying to try to pick the right guy to attack first while they taunt you and such.

MC in hardcore mode is easy, I just do the same thing as normal mode. Which is farm and run like hell to get home as soon as it gets past noon.

Yeh, I know of the server, but thanks to my CPU (guessing it's that) I get about 15 FPS on a good day, so I prefer single player for the certainty that things will still be there when I return to somewhere I've run off a cliff :p

And if I did come on there, the entire world would turn into mile-high mob grinders and everyones cobble would be stolen