We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Self-built PC: no beeps on start-up, no signal to monitor

CLR-GTR

:cry:

I thought, this weekend I can finally start using the new pc by installing windows and copying over some stuff. Wouldn't be typical though if it went right the first time. As a refresh, the setup:

Corsair RM650

Intel i7 5820K (3.3Ghz 2011-3 )

Cooler Master Hyper 412S

MSI X99S SLI Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX (16 gb DDR4 2133)

MSI GTX970 4G Gaming (4gb)

1x Samsung 850 Pro (256 gb)

2x WD Blue 1TB

BenQ GL2460 24"

Windows 8.1 x64 (to be installed)

Cooler Master Trooper

Microsoft keyboard 600

Logitech M560

Logitech Z-553

The main issue I have is that the monitor is not getting any signal. I'm connecting it to the GPU by DVI cable, in fact the very one I use on my current pc. So the cable is not faulty. Plus, it detects it's in; if the cable is not in, it says cable not detected. I've already pressed the buttons on the monitor to set it to DVI, eliminating the possibility that the monitor thinks it has to operate through a port that's not used.

As for inside the pc, what would be relevant is the GPU and mobo I think. The mobo works, or at least, it has a blue CMOS light at the back (guess it's on because it detects abnormal shut down...: me via the power button) and an illuminating power and reset button on the board itself. When I press the power button, all fans spin, including those of the GPU. The MSI illumination also works on the GPU. It is fully connected to the PSU (8 + 6 connectors) in the right socket (PCI-E block).

What doesn't work:

- monitor: no signal detected

Any oddities I question:

- why do the two GPU fans start spinning after having been deactivated for a few seconds? Aren't the fans of 970's supposed to stay off until 60°C is reached? The PC's not even being used since it doesn't have windows installed and I can't see chips. Why do they go back on then????

- why does my mobo not beep through the little speaker I had to connect to it? Manual btw doesn't state anything about beeping during or following the POST.

I came across that ye.... So how do I find that out? Take off the CPU cooling assy and then what do I look for? I don't have like a replacement CPU I can use to see if that one dóes work...

Well if there is a PC place near you take it there to see if they could test it or rma it.

I was about to suggest swapping the graphics card, even if you do it the other way round and you have an older PCI-E card in your old PC then put that in the new PC as a test, it isn't staying there so as long as it's PCI-E it won't matter.

As for the motherboard not beeping, mine doesn't do that and all of the computers where I work don't do it either and they're a number of years out-of-date, infact I almost forgot computers did that. Either that or I just phase the whole beeping thing out now :p

I was about to suggest swapping the graphics card, even if you do it the other way round and you have an older PCI-E card in your old PC then put that in the new PC as a test, it isn't staying there so as long as it's PCI-E it won't matter.

That could work too but if it is the CPU or mobo that are at fault I'm thinking they might mask it so you won't get any more clear conclusions than you had to begin with. :nods:

As for the motherboard not beeping, mine doesn't do that and all of the computers where I work don't do it either and they're a number of years out-of-date, infact I almost forgot computers did that. Either that or I just phase the whole beeping thing out now :p
Must depend on the brand; I have an ASUS motherboard in my PC which beeps once every time I start the PC.

My current pc has an MSI board and that one beeps, that's why I thought this one would too. Funny enough the manual of the new board doesn't mention the beeping though.

I'm gonna try the GPU thing tomorrow. Friend also pointed at that, because if other stuff was broken, the pc would turn off by itself. Instead, if I want it to turn off, I have to hold the power button down. So perhaps all that is fine and it secretly waited for input at the bios, me just not seeing it.

I'd rule out the graphics card for now, as a PC should be able to boot without one (just pop in a bootable CD/USB, and you should see the relevant lights flashing to indicate that it's booting, assuming the BIOS defaults to checking those devices first).

Graphics card fans will spin at 100% when you first turn the PC on, before returning to idle. If they're not returning to idle, then it's probably because the computer hasn't finished POST'ing. (Power on self test).

Are all the jumper cables from the case correctly connected to the motherboard?

Is the CPU fan cable connected to the motherboard?

Are both power cables connected to the motherboard? (20/24 pin long flat one AND a 4 pin one usually in another corner)?

Are your chosen CPU and RAM on the compatibility lists of your motherboard?

I made a noob error. My system has 4 ram modules, but somehow I placed two of them in the wrong memory slots. I replaced those 2, found out I plugged the SSD and HDD's wrong, changed that too, and now it's installing windows!

Unless anything else weird happes, I think my issues are solved. So for now, thanks for thinking along here and for the feedback :)