We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

How to model new cars?

cardosoking

Plenty of tutorials on the web, in text and videos. Don't be shy to google a bit.

In addition to those, some tips:

General:

- Look for blueprints and dimensions, seperate from each other is always possible, but some blueprints show the actual dimensions of the car. Use that to create a box within which the car will be (bounding box). Remember however, blueprints never 100% match each other or the real car, not even those of the elite car brands.

- Use above tip combined with wheel size calculators so you know where the wheels are and how big they are.

- Look for a lot of reference pictures, best would be of several cars, in several colors. Even though it might be fun to play with colors during the modeling, take a color like grey, one that shows you the lighting/shading on a car without confusing reflections or colors that make it hard to see lines, surfaces etc.

- Google wireframe pictures of other people 3D car models so you can see how people made the mesh at tricky points (headlights, intakes, dashboards).

3DS

- Something that might be subjective: I find it easier to model a car with too many polygons at first, and later dive into a process of finding what can be achieved with less detail. I find that easier than the other way around (model a car like a brick, then adding detail, vertices and polygons).

- Make regular backup parts before you start drastic stuff. I model cars starting with a closed bodyshell, then I make a backup (which I hide from view), and then I start chopping up the original bodyshell to try out stuff.

- You could choose to create a Biped helper of around 1.80 to 1.90 meters tall which you can use as a mannequin to fit inside the car and adjust positions of seats, steeringwheels etc a bit better. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOU LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND, INCLUDING THE HIDDEN DUMMY HELPERS.

- Try and avoid the Tools > Mirror function. It basically turns polygons inside out in a very weird way which will either mess up the way you see the car in-game, or the way you see it in 3ds max.

Regarding the mirror thing, there is a long work-around to use Tools > Mirror while keeping everything correct. Say you model a left front wheel and you mirror it to a right front wheel, you'd have to go back to the left one, attach the right one to that left one, then detach it, and make sure the 3ds Pivot of that right wheel is in the correct place. By attaching Y to X, Y will always take the orientation of polygons of X.

For the rest you're better off asking the modders for help or reading through some of the tutorials on this forum, there is a specific way to build up cars for each game, including for TDU.

Plenty of tutorials on the web, in text and videos. Don't be shy to google a bit.

In addition to those, some tips:

General:

- Look for blueprints and dimensions, seperate from each other is always possible, but some blueprints show the actual dimensions of the car. Use that to create a box within which the car will be (bounding box). Remember however, blueprints never 100% match each other or the real car, not even those of the elite car brands.

- Use above tip combined with wheel size calculators so you know where the wheels are and how big they are.

- Look for a lot of reference pictures, best would be of several cars, in several colors. Even though it might be fun to play with colors during the modeling, take a color like grey, one that shows you the lighting/shading on a car without confusing reflections or colors that make it hard to see lines, surfaces etc.

- Google wireframe pictures of other people 3D car models so you can see how people made the mesh at tricky points (headlights, intakes, dashboards).

3DS

- Something that might be subjective: I find it easier to model a car with too many polygons at first, and later dive into a process of finding what can be achieved with less detail. I find that easier than the other way around (model a car like a brick, then adding detail, vertices and polygons).

- Make regular backup parts before you start drastic stuff. I model cars starting with a closed bodyshell, then I make a backup (which I hide from view), and then I start chopping up the original bodyshell to try out stuff.

- You could choose to create a Biped helper of around 1.80 to 1.90 meters tall which you can use as a mannequin to fit inside the car and adjust positions of seats, steeringwheels etc a bit better. REMEMBER TO CHECK YOU LEAVE NOTHING BEHIND, INCLUDING THE HIDDEN DUMMY HELPERS.

- Try and avoid the Tools > Mirror function. It basically turns polygons inside out in a very weird way which will either mess up the way you see the car in-game, or the way you see it in 3ds max.

Regarding the mirror thing, there is a long work-around to use Tools > Mirror while keeping everything correct. Say you model a left front wheel and you mirror it to a right front wheel, you'd have to go back to the left one, attach the right one to that left one, then detach it, and make sure the 3ds Pivot of that right wheel is in the correct place. By attaching Y to X, Y will always take the orientation of polygons of X.

For the rest you're better off asking the modders for help or reading through some of the tutorials on this forum, there is a specific way to build up cars for each game, including for TDU.

are-you-wizard.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sup, I want to know if I can edit a car or customize the body. Making a new model is alot of learning and my internet is limited.. Is it possible to add a spoiler or body kits for instance? I think it has to do with PS right? Is there any tuts or advice? Much appreciated!

They are using zmodeler because they are not "making" the 3D model from scratch, but converting them. The original 3D model is made by Turn10, and the car is from the game Forza Motorsport. They do import it to that program and convert it to TDU.

I don't know the process in TDU2, but there is a tutorial for TDU1.

COMB@T_$HOTGUN's Modding Tutorial for everyone | turboduck forum

• 2 weeks later...

Can I swap a tdu1 car body to tdu2? Its the same car (Toyota Supra) but the body work is different. And I really really want the body of that Supra.. Just the outside look of the car if u understand what im trying to say? Any advice please?