We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Halp

Paladin Skylark

I want a new computer.

CURRENT STATS:

i5-3330 @ 3.0GHz

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

[h=3]Radeon HD 8570 2GB[/h]

Link: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03824010

I've got about $1,000 (CDN) to spend on a new computer. I want something badarse, I wanna get into PC gaming more - like PCars kinda gaming.

I'm not the greatest with computer specs so can anyone tell me what I can get for that price that will be amayyyzing? ty

I got a system built for me i5 4690 @ 3.5Ghz, 8Gb ram, nVidia GTX970 4Gb (3.5Gb...) 1Tb HDD and it runs everything like a boss. For what you have and the money you're looking to spend you should just upgrade :btup ^those are my recommendations, all I want is 16Gb ram and a solid state maybe. :nods:

--- Post Updated ---

They will tell you to build one. Computer nerds are always the same. :lol:

tumblr_nlgy8dpryv1r3i2kko3_500.gif

Like, I guess I have $1,400 to spend, cause I'll sell mine for 400. I'll look and see what I can get custom built.

Well there you have it then :nods: If you fancy a 980 you'll probably have to get a loan/sell your car/sell your house/sell your organs though.

If I was to build my own PC from scratch today with your budget I'd do something like this. Someone with more knowledge might want to object to something on it though. Of course it's down to you, change the case, memory, PSU (you probably can do with a lower wattage one) or whatever. This is a starting point though.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($288.50 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.05 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($178.98 @ DirectCanada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($421.58 @ DirectCanada)

Case: Cooler Master 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case ($106.90 @ DirectCanada)

Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1303.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-12 17:27 EDT-0400

The link to the list itself is here and you can change anything you want on it: Intel Core i5-4690K, Asus GeForce GTX 970, Cooler Master 690 III - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Are there specific parts you need or already have, such as case, monitor, other peripherals?

If I was building one at the moment here is what I would start with and then start looking more into each part to see what I could swap out to save money/improve performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($243.25 @ shopRBC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.05 @ Vuugo)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ NCIX)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.98 @ NCIX)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($92.95 @ Vuugo)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($404.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Thermaltake Commander G41 ATX Mid Tower Case ($70.91 @ DirectCanada)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Memory Express)

Total: $1330.10

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-12 18:03 EDT-0400

Like Andai said, it really depends on what you already have.

Depending on PSU you currently have you might be able to keep it and use it for the new computer. Same goes for the case and HDD which would save about $320 (also OS, monitor etc.). You could then sell your current CPU, mobo, RAM and GPU as separates or as a barebone bundle to someone.

Two good options there so I won't confuse you by trying to come up with a third.

One thing to note: Core i5's are good for gaming, but if you're into video rendering, then Core i7 will net you a noticeable increase in rendering times. Newer AAA games are also getting good at making use of any extra threads your CPU may have, so that could change.

An Update to Kingston SSDNow V300: A Switch to Slower Micron NAND[/url]

One thing to note: Core i5's are good for gaming, but if you're into video rendering, then Core i7 will net you a noticeable increase in rendering times. Newer AAA games are also getting good at making use of any extra threads your CPU may have, so that could change.
And on another note, if you're not going to overclock you can save some money as well. Instead of going for an i5 or i7 K-series, you can get a Xeon which aren't overclockable but have hyperthreading and will be better at the things Ryzza mentioned.

Also, you can check sites like Ebay and similar sites that you have in Canada, especially for CPU's. Used ones are up all the time, and sometimes brand new ones still in sealed boxes show up that you can save some money on.

Ooo thanks guys. So far I've had similar builds come out to around $1,350. I have a monitor and don't DESPERATELY need a SSD (though it might be nice for load times) - have keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc.

I was debating between an i5 and an i7 - honestly I'm going to be gaming a lot - video rendering perhaps a bit too for the odd Youtube whatnot.

Does need to have wireless card inside, or come with a wireless stick to use, too far from the modem to have a wired connection.

Also, can anyone expand on whats better? Liquid cooling or air cooling??

finally heres a link to what I'm looking at, if it doesn't load properly then I suck at this linking thing which I expect will happen. Overall, if I spend the 1350 on it, can sell mine for 400-500 depending, think it might workout rather well.

First of all, will you be overclocking the CPU?

Ooo thanks guys. So far I've had similar builds come out to around $1,350. I have a monitor and don't DESPERATELY need a SSD (though it might be nice for load times) - have keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc.
I don't have one either, you will live perfectly fine without one. I'm only planning to upgrade my PC with one because it's all the rage these days.

I was debating between an i5 and an i7 - honestly I'm going to be gaming a lot - video rendering perhaps a bit too for the odd Youtube whatnot.
Well then you need to debate that issue with yourself. How much video rendering will you be doing? Will the extra cost be justifiable for you? The occasional project will be fine on an i5 or Xeon as well. Basically:

Overclocking but no hyperthreading - i5

Hyperthreading but no overclocking - Xeon

Hyperthreading and overclocking - i7

Pricewise they come in that order.

Does need to have wireless card inside, or come with a wireless stick to use, too far from the modem to have a wired connection.
That will come quite cheap I think.

Also, can anyone expand on whats better? Liquid cooling or air cooling??
Well liquid cooling exists because it's better but it's also more expensive. Also, from the comparative videos I've seen on Youtube, you need a radiator with at least two fans on it in order for it to make sense, and those are expensive. A radiator with a single fan will have about the same performance as a high end air cooler so spending the money on it doesn't really make sense in my opinion. That's why both Mellors and I recommended you go air cooled.

Liquid cooling also comes with its own set of hazards. Liquid + electric components = dangerous. Definitely do your research about brands and products before you go for it.

If you're planning to go in full overclocking mode on the other hand, then it's another story.

finally heres a link to what I'm looking at[/url], if it doesn't load properly then I suck at this linking thing which I expect will happen. Overall, if I spend the 1350 on it, can sell mine for 400-500 depending, think it might workout rather well.

I can't quite get a grip of that site to be honest. I'm not a fan of the "Standard" power supply, definitely go for a well known brand when it comes to PSUs. Also, "Corsair or Major Brand" memory? It fells like I'd rather pick out my own parts and build the thing myself.

Then definitely no to liquid cooling, and you can also save $10-20 by going for a non K-series i5. To be honest you probably won't even need any fancy air cooling so you can save some more money there, unless the stock coolers are really noisy and you want something more quiet.

From your post, it seems like video rendering won't be a day to day occurrence, so I'd save some money by getting the i5.

You can't afford custom watercooling, but something like a Corsair H80 is relatively cheap, low maintenance, and great for CPU temps.

UEFI BIOS setups on ASUS mainboards have 'suggested' overclocking profiles which makes things pretty easy. I've had my 3570K overclocked at 4.1GHz for most of its life with no issue. I just wish I had gone with the i7 at the time because Sony Vegas seems to take longer to render compared to my old Q9550 system.