We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Spring 07 Dashboard Update News (Read Only)

Nodz86

By Major Nelson himself on his site link

http://www.majornelson.com

May '07 Dash update is now available

I am happy to announce that the May 2007 Dashboard update has now been officially released and is in process of being rolled out across the LIVE service. For many of you, the next time you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you will be prompted to receive the update. A couple of things to keep in mind over the next few hours as the update is deployed:

• You’ll be prompted to accept the update when you sign into Xbox Live sometime in the next few hours. You will only receive the prompt for the update upon sign in. You won’t get it in middle of a game.
  • Regardless of what you have heard, it's not geographically based. No one area of the world will get it before another.
  • If you log out and then back in again, this won’t force the update…it will only anger people on your friends list who will see you sign in, then out, then in, then out …
  • Be patient, everyone will eventually receive the update

In addition to the LIVE Messenger integration feature in the new Dashboard, you’ll also see:

• New achievement pop-up with name and score value
  • New Marketplace blade places content all in one place
  • Friends playing now feature at Xbox LIVE Arcade
  • Console can be set to turn off after downloads to save energy.

I want to say something about the last bullet point. What this means is that you can queue up your downloads and turn your console ‘off.’ When you turn it off during a download, you are actually switching your Xbox 360 into low power mode and the power light will blink very slowly as it continues downloading. After all the downloads are complete, the blinking light will stop and the console will automatically turn itself completely off. Downloads done.

Here is the press release that outlines the rest of the new features.

Once you download the update and have had some time to play around with the new features, which one is your favorite?

Edit: Xbox.com now has some videoes and additional information posted

Edit: I am seeing reports of some users who are experiencing difficulty downloading the newly released update for the Xbox 360 dashboard. If you are experiencing this issue, please perform the following procedure.

From the dash;

1. Navigate to the System blade

2. Select 'Network Settings'

3. Select 'Test Xbox Live Connection'

4. Apply Autoupdate when prompted.

If you continue to experience issues downloading the update for the Xbox 360 dashboard, please contact Xbox Customer Support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

May '07 Dash update Video FAQ

The team who worked on the video playback part of the Xbox 360 console have posted a Video FAQ. This should answer some of your questions that are now popping up as a result of the spring update and many of the new features and file formats that are now supported.

(some) Dashboard Messenger questions answered

Now that you have had a few hours to play with the new dashboard update, some folks have asked some questions about the new Messenger integration. Let me see if I can help clear a couple of things up:

Q: I don’t want to automatically sign in to Live Messenger on my console…how do I turn it off?

A: Sign in to Xbox LIVE, go to the Xbox LIVE blade, then select your gamercard and press A. Go down to ‘Auto Sign-in’ and press A. You can set your preference for Xbox Live and Windows Live Messenger separately here.

Q: The email address assigned to my Xbox LIVE account is different to the email address I use on my PC for Windows LIVE messenger. Is there a way for me to still access my messenger account?

A: Not at this time. We are working on the ability to allow users to change the email address they originally used when signing up for Xbox Live. The feature will be available in an upcoming release.

Post any other questions you may have and I will try to track down answers. Also, I am in meetings all day, so I will only be able to check in a few times today to see how things are going.

Xbox 360 May '07 Update FAQ

Why can’t I use Messenger on my Xbox if I have a child account?

The Xbox Live Messenger team places high value on child safety and is working on a solution to allow users thirteen-years-old and older the ability to safely use Messenger on Xbox 360. The solution must ensure that children not be contacted by unauthorized Messenger users, and must adhere to our Family Settings policies that give parents the ability to determine with whom their children can communicate. This is important work which requires proper time and diligence. We will update the community when we have more information to share.

I am now 18 or older. Why is my account still considered a child account?

There is a very small group of Xbox LIVE members who first created their accounts while under the age of 18 but have since passed their 18th birthday. These members cannot access Messenger on Xbox 360 at this time. We will explore solutions that enable these members to use Messenger on their Xbox 360 and will update the community when we have more information to share.

How do I use a USB Keyboard with Messenger on Xbox 360?

When you're using Messenger on the console, you can use it with a keyboard while you're engaged in other activities, such as watching a video or playing a game.

It is possible to use a USB keyboard while you are having an IM conversation on Xbox 360. Simply attach the USB cable from your keyboard to one of the USB ports on the Xbox 360.

You can use some of the following keyboard shortcuts to interact with the Chat Box:

• Sign in to Messenger. When you are not signed in to Messenger, press Windows + M to take you to the Messenger tab where you can sign in.
  • Start a conversation. If you are signed in but don't have any open conversations, pressWindows + M to take you to the Messenger tab where you can start a new conversation.

Note
    If you have an open conversation in Messenger and want to go to the conversation area, open the Xbox Guide and select Chat and IM or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
  • Open the Chat Box. If you have any open conversations, press Windows + M to open the Chat Box right over your game or movie. You can see the last few lines of any active conversations and enter a message. This is a good way to exchange quick messages.
  • Close the Chat Box. You can close the Chat Box the same way you brought it up, by pressing Windows +M.
  • Switch between conversations in Chat Box mode. You may have more than one open conversation. Cycle between conversations by pressing CTRL + -> (right arrow key).
  • Open the Guide while in Chat Box mode. Press the Xbox Guide button on your controller or press the Windows key to close the Chat Box and open the Guide.

Note
    If you using a Mac keyboard, substitute the Apple key for the Windows key.

If you need more help on using the MSN feature click the link below to view the MSN user guide from Xbox.com:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/livefeatures/messenger.htm

Edit:

Xbox 360 System update

Moments ago, the team released a system update (aka Dash update) to Xbox Live. Over the next few hours, when you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. What’s in this update? The only thing this minor release will do is prepare your Xbox 360 for the wireless guitars that are being released in a few months.

No new features beyond this wireless support are included in this update. As usual, we’ve got some new features planned for later this year as part of our biannual release cycle.

This is the latest about the update, i will keep updating it as and when they release FAQ's and other info relating to problems from this update

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Johansen

lol i cant use msn messenger on the xbox it says. windows live messenger is not available from a windows live child account.

It is crap, my 360 email is a @btinternet.com and my msn is a @hotmail.co.uk but there is no way of changing the MSN email on the 360 which is crap.

to add contacts you have to do it on you computer and the same to change you msn pic

Guest Johansen
will i be able to use msn n 360 if i turn all the parental controls off

no i tried that didnt work.:cry:

I'm a little disappointed with the LIVE blade, what's it's purpose? There already was a tab to go direct to marketplace....that's without the other paths to get there (arcade, movie, multi-media..etc).

Messenger will be OK after we get used to it though ;)

Now all we need is tools to make our own blade and background designs :)

Be back later tonight to report!

Edit------

Turns out I've got my old email address on the xbox account so I'll call xbox support tomorrow and ask them to change it if possible otherwise I'm gonna be at the point of boarding and plane and kicking Bill Gates butt!

Guest mellors_

all us lucky Europeans will be able to use MSN if we have a childs account on our xbox 360s in the next 48 hours