We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car on fire driven into Glasgow Airport!

Baldy

Car on fire crashes into airport

_42446848_airport2_203.jpg The car was ablaze before crashing into the building

A car on fire has been driven at the main terminal building at Glasgow Airport, police have confirmed. Eyewitnesses have described a Jeep Cherokee being driven at speed towards the building with flames coming out from underneath.

They have also described seeing two Asian men, one of whom was on fire, who had been in the car.

The airport has been evacuated and all flights suspended following the incident at 1515 BST.

A Whitehall spokesman said the incident was not being treated as a national security threat.

One eyewitness said: "I heard the sound of a car's wheels spinning and smoke coming out.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif There was an Asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers end_quote_rb.gif

Richard Gray

Eyewitness

"I saw a Jeep Cherokee apparently as if it was trying to get right through the doors into the terminal building.

"There were flames coming out from underneath then some men appeared from in amongst the flames.

"The police ran over and the people started fighting with the police. I then heard what sounded like an explosion."

Eye-witness Richard Gray told BBC News 24: "A green Jeep was in the middle of the doorway burning.

_42446902_scot_glas_203x152.gif The incident happened 1515 BST on Saturday

"There was an Asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers, who he was trying to fight off. They've got him on the ground.

"The car didn't actually explode. There were a few pops and bangs which presumably was the petrol."

Taxi driver Ian Crosby said: "This was no accident. This was a deliberate attack on Glasgow Airport."

The reaction of members of the public was not to help the men in the car, but to restrain them, he told the BBC.

Mr Crosby, who said he served in Northern Ireland, told how he shepherded people away from the scene in case of a secondary explosion or a nail-bomb.

Two men, one of whom was reported to be badly burned, were seen being led away in handcuffs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant believe this London yesterday, ibiza this morning and Scotland tonight, they may not be connected but is this what the world is turning into. If this is terrorism in the UK then i cant see it being over for a long time.

Ibiza

Security alert at Ibiza airport

_42446664_ibiza_spain203x152.jpg

Police have carried out a controlled explosion at the airport on the Spanish holiday island of Ibiza, after the building was evacuated.

The airport was cleared after Basque newspaper Gara, often used for claims by separatist group Eta, said it had received an anonymous threat.

Spain has been on alert since Eta declared an end to a unilateral ceasefire on 5 June.

Ibiza attracts thousands of mainly European holidaymakers annually.

Gara said on its website that it had received a phone call warning of an "explosive device" at the airport.

The building was evacuated at about lunchtime and shortly after wards a low-level explosion was heard.

Some 300 arrivals and departures were scheduled for Saturday, but the airport has been closed to outgoing and incoming flights, said the AENA airport authority, which controls Spain's airports. Spanish authorities have been braced for a possible attack since Eta announced the end to what it had called a permanent ceasefire. Despite the ceasefire, two people were killed in a bomb explosion at Madrid's Barajas airport in December.

Thats what happened in ibiza luckily it is nowhere near the scale in the UK.

Worlds going mad, 2 cars in London have been stopped from exploding now two nutters crash into Glasgow Airport and some others put a bomb in a Spainish airport, what ever next????

And all this on top of the floods causing mayhem aswell and Athens being on fire with there famous ancient building/monument on the hill (cant remember what its called) being in danger of setting alight aswell.

If it ain't old Mother Nature Causing grief its some Terorists/Extremists.

I think they choose this time of the year as 10000000 people are going on holidays.

Sorry if i'm being rude, but terrorists should all be excecuted and killed and should be sliced up and burned!

Just my 50 cents...

I think they choose this time of the year as 10000000 people are going on holidays.

Sorry if i'm being rude, but terrorists should all be excecuted and killed and should be sliced up and burned!

Just my 50 cents...

your being to humane, seriously, ive been watching the news about this, imagine if the bomb actually went off

Been thinking about why they targeted Scotland and come up with one answer Gordan Brown becoming PM. As he is scottish they decided to hit a very busy place in Scotland if Gordon Brown wasn't Scottish or if someone else became PM who weren't scottish then I doubt they would have targeted Glasgow Airport.

This is just my opinion.

still, the men were taken out of the jeep alive, this could be a major lead, the police can get anything out of the attackers, and hopefully uncover whatever operation was behind this barbaric attack.

this really is sickening... i hope the authorities bang them up forever, they should live a painful and pointless life spending each day wanting death, and not being obliged in their request

Just an update four people have now been arrested in connection with the bombings, two from the Glasgow incident and two in Chesire were arrested.

In the early hour Liverpools John Lennon airport was closed after a suspicious car was found and also part of Liverpoools town centre was closed off due to a suspicious package.

Article:

Four people are under arrest as Britain moved to its highest state of terror alert after three failed car bombings in London and Glasgow.

Police are linking an attempt to ram a flaming Jeep Cherokee into Glasgow Airport on Saturday to the discovery of two car bombs in the capital's West End on Friday.

Two men inside the Jeep were arrested at the airport, although one of them suffered severe burns after being engulfed in flames and is now in a critical condition in hospital.

Anti-terror officers from the Met and West Midlands Police later arrested a further two people in Cheshire in connection with all the attacks, Scotland Yard said.

A motorist said he saw the arrests taking place on the M6, although police would not confirm this.

Peter Whitehead told the BBC three unmarked police cars brought traffic to a halt on the motorway.

He said: "In front of them were a couple of other unmarked police cars and they forced a car onto the hard shoulder and got the occupants out and as far as I can see arrested them."

Thousands of travellers faced chaos as all flights into and out of Glasgow Airport were cancelled after the attack.

Liverpool John Lennon Airport was also closed overnight while police investigated a suspicious vehicle. The vehicle was taken away for forensic examination and the airport was reopened at 4.40am, Merseyside Police said.

Part of Liverpool city centre was also closed off from midnight for about two hours while police investigated a suspicious package.

Linkage:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20070701/tuk-four-arrested-over-terror-attacks-6323e80.html

Source BT Yahoo news.

• 2 weeks later...
people say it was doctors on the news how they were pretending to be doctors but they were the terorists and they were bomb specialests

They weren't pretending to be doctors as they all held medical qualifications it was more a front to cover up what they was planning.