We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

XBL Virus Warning!!

Nodz86

Right thought I'd tell everyone as I have received a mesage of a few people on my friends list. Do not accept a FR of a J_Newton as it is a virus that mucks up your live account.

I'm not sure how true this is because from what I remember you can not get virus's with an Xbox, but with all things that might have changed.

something smells like chainmail to me, just like those things that say microsoft is going to start charging for MSN messenger...

edit: has it occured to anyone that you cant get underscores in gamertags?

pffft!

Yer got the message a few times and just deletaed it, you can't spead a virus though a friend request surely. I don't know hoe it works pbviously but I would have thought all data thats stored on your 360 when you save a friend would be made by microsoft just saying the gamertag and all that. I wouldn't think any data came from the other person.

If someone was able to reverse-engineer the friend request protocol, identify a weakness in the XBox operating system (say, a buffer overflow issue) and craft a nasty friend request that contains executable code, it's entirely possible to create such a virus.

However, I suspect the OS code is reasonalby safely locked away. I think the effort involved would make the prospect very unlikely.

It's more likely to be a hoax/chain-email.

I tried sending that guy a FR myself and it said that the GT don't exist, so no real threat then....

YOU

CAN

NOT

HAVE

UNDERSCORES

IN

GAMERTAGS!

thus the tag J_Newton is impossible. *rolls eyes*

i rest my case.

Well going by this it is a load of rubbish

Wow time flys when your utter board out of your life.

Especially when you are so bored you feel an urgent need to tell other forumers pieces of advice, such as the fact that in the tense you are using, it is 'bored' not 'board'. :bananasplit:

Nitpicking is great, no?