We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

MS Snub Blu Ray

Nodz86

Not sure how true but it looks like they are going down the same route as apple did with iTunes.

Think HD DVD's loss means Microsoft is going Blu-ray for the Xbox 360?

Guess again.

Company executives may have already shot the notion down, but there's more to the story. With HD DVD, Microsoft had the opportunity to inject its own technology into the emerging high-definition video market. But now that the HD disc war is over, the company still has a viable group of HD video assets, including HDi and Xbox Live Marketplace.

If you take a close look at these assets, and consider their potential, it's clear why Microsoft is snubbing Blu-ray for the Xbox: The company is gearing up for another HD video assault.

First, a little backstory. Beneath the surface of the recent HD DVD/Blu-ray hardware war, a battle over programming platforms was waged. In this clash, the two camps were at odds over how to implement next-gen features like interactive menus, HD picture-in-picture, and Web-powered content such as online polls. The Blu-ray camp ultimately went with the Java-based BD-J platform, while HD DVD went with an XML dialect.

Microsoft stepped up to deliver iHD (later renamed HDi), which was a trademarked implementation of HD DVD's XML markup language. Toshiba liked it. They made HDi functionality a standard for HD DVD players, and eventually partnered with Microsoft to expand HDi's reach by founding the Advanced Interactivity Consortium. The primary goal of this group was forging industry relationships to further promote HDi in emerging outlets like downloadable and streaming media.

The deal gave HD DVD its competitive next-gen features, but here's the rub: Microsoft didn't need physical media to implement HDi. All of HDi's interactive bells and whistles could theoretically be applied to downloadable video content, as long as a runtime environment was available. Even as the disc format war raged on, elements of HDi's runtime environment showed up in Microsoft products like the Xbox 360 and Vista.

HDi-on-a-disc may now be dead, but the technology certainly isn't. A Microsoft developer told me that the company's HDi crew hasn't been disbanded. Microsoft was apparently quite pleased with HDi's performance, and is currently exploring applications on other platforms.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has been expanding the HD video capabilities of both Vista Media Center and Xbox Live Marketplace. The Marketplace's HD content library is modest today, but the software giant clearly has plans to change that.

So, let's put everything together.

Microsoft has a popular gaming console and an operating system that are HDi compatible. It also has a group of developers working on HDi applications, and a 360-accessible HD video library that could feasibly be outfitted with next-gen interactivity features. All that's left is the dog and pony show needed to convince content providers that HDi-enhanced content and Microsoft's video outlets are key to making HD video downloads a viable revenue stream.

It would surely be an expensive gambit for Redmond, but the chance to rule the HD download market may be too juicy a proposition to pass up.

Linkage:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/03/21/real-reason-microsoft-wont-bring-blu-ray-xbox-hdi?page=0%2C1

Well I don't know what to say .........

Is it good or bad news ?????????????????????????

The way I see it is if Blue Ray does become big like virtually all video sales are Blue Ray then it would have be impossible for Microsoft to snub Blue Ray but at the moment Blue Ray still hasn't really got the momentum to do the above. So Microsoft are clearly thinking that Blue Ray won't be big and they are showing no signs of accepting the 'Sony child' which is a good plus for a Microsoft fanboy like myself :D.

So they are going down the HD Download route, I guess only time will tell if it is more successful than Blue Ray ...... !

So they are going down the HD Download route, I guess only time will tell if it is more successful than Blue Ray ...... !

But by doing this they are competing with apple who already have a big share in this market and have launching/launched a movie/tv download service, can't remember if its HD tho but I'm sure it will be.

But by doing this they are competing with apple who already have a big share in this market and have launching/launched a movie/tv download service, can't remember if its HD tho but I'm sure it will be.

I never thought about Apple ..........

If Microsoft undercut Apple and if Apple don't use the HD technology I can see no reason why Mcrosoft couldn't be successful in Apple's market :).

Sorry Microsoft but HD downloading is not viable for about another 3-5 years due to ISP's and their traffic management. It's not going to happen plus no doubt MS will charge a fair bit for it (not a fair price) and also let's not forget you probably won't own it and it will disappear from your PC/360 after a set time.

How about the fact that they already rip you off with the 360 HDD prices? So let's see a HD movie with extras at 5-10GB+ means MS bring out a new 300GB HDD for wait for it, £150. I personally never want to see Microsoft have the monopoly of anything else, I actually can't wait for the day someone brings out another OS that will compete with Windows and give us a choice and offer a good price for it rather than effectively bleed you for every little thing.

Also I don't think Microsoft actually have the intelligence, originality and creativity to pull something like this off whereas Apple, well that speaks for itself.

There was a article lying around the other day about how Microsoft was in Panic mode because of the release of GTA 4 next month but i cant find it now. Basically it said Microsoft was worried the PS3 was gonna out sell them because of GTA 4 so they have been trying like hard to get the casual gamers on thier side. The type of people who will probably never put their consoles online & that when someone mentions GTA they automatically think playstation cos thats the system they probably would of played GTA on before hand.

GTA 4 is one of those games that will sell consoles just so people can play it & if you ask me the outlook for Microsoft is looking pretty bleak.

haha, nice comeback cptdark:p

Microsoft will have to consider blu-ray at some point, maybe not for the 360, but something tells me that DVD9 will not suffice for the next generation and its growing demand for disk space, with graphics looking like they cant get much better games are gonna have to start adding extra content, rather than graphical oomph to move forward. that said, if M$ can make HVD financially viable then that could turn out very well! (3.9tb storage ftw)

There was a article lying around the other day about how Microsoft was in Panic mode because of the release of GTA 4 next month but i cant find it now. Basically it said Microsoft was worried the PS3 was gonna out sell them because of GTA 4 so they have been trying like hard to get the casual gamers on thier side. The type of people who will probably never put their consoles online & that when someone mentions GTA they automatically think playstation cos thats the system they probably would of played GTA on before hand.

GTA 4 is one of those games that will sell consoles just so people can play it & if you ask me the outlook for Microsoft is looking pretty bleak.

Lets not talk about the exclusive extra content for GTA IV on the 360 then shall we :D.

Lets not talk about the exclusive extra content for GTA IV on the 360 then shall we :D.
Did you read what he actually said:

The type of people who will probably never put their consoles online & that when someone mentions GTA they automatically think playstation cos thats the system they probably would of played GTA on before hand.

Did you read what he actually said:

Yeah I was replying to this:

:D.

No Microsoft only dropped thier prices because the other tactics were a bucket load of FAIL. & the only "freebie" they are offering is 500 microsoft points which like i said is pretty damn useless to the Casual gamers, The type of people who may only play 2 or 3 hours a day & only buy games they see on TV etc (NFS, FIFA,Singstar etc)

*EDIT* here is a qoute from the article.

We heard something the other day, a line of dialogue that must scare Microsoft to death. It came from the mouth of a twenty something electrician as he installed a car stereo for a mate. He said “I bought my PS3 to play GTA IV”.

That wasn’t the comment of a fanboy, or an educated decision by a gaming enthusiast who had weighed up all the pros and cons of the two systems: it was simply all he knew. There was a GTA coming out, so he went and bought a PlayStation. Microsoft is desperate to change that mentality, but what started as a broad plan has seemingly deteriorated into panic.

Ha I found that article.

Clicky

WOW, that was proffesionally written and obviosly wasn't written by a PS3 Fanboy :rolleyes:.

Dude that article sounded to me like it was written by some 10 year old who hates the 360.

Microsoft lowered the price so the casual gamers buy a 360 for the GTA IV launch can you blame them after all when does a game so big come along that can increase sales and earn mega bucks at the same time ?????????????????

Dude don't tell me you wouldn't have done the same if you where in Microsofts shoes ????????????????????

Microsoft know what they are doing and I will admit being a 360 fanboy that it needed to be done after all the PS3 seems to be gaining momentum everyday and what with GT5 coming out soon the ps3 will only gain even more market share. So yeah Microsoft were probably scared of the PS3 competition but at the end of the day Microsoft knew from day one that the console market wouldn't be easy and it certainly isn't !!!!

Its all about sales and market share and what if Microsoft wouldn't have put the price of the console down ????? No doubt all the PS3 fanboys would have laughed at Microsoft missing out on a perfect oppurtinity.

Nige I honestly worry about you, I read that and even I can see the guy is writing from a neutral standpoint, I mean he basically tells you the 360 is cheaper, it's online is better and MS are giving away free stuff as a huge incentive. The only thing I can see that might construe - in some Xbox 360 fanboys minds - negativity towards it is his straight to the point honesty about how MS is not going about grabbing the casual gamer, all they're doing is constantly fattening up your typical gamer and that's not who the big sell is.

This is only hearsay and it could be that MS is worrying about this greatly as yes GTA started on PlayStation and will continue to sell the console and Sony and Rockstar North have a great rapport with each other. And I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned but the 360 episodic content is exclusive but Sony has also hinted that they will have their own it just won't be the same as what you'll get on the 360.

And just to quench your approaching outbust about how I'm all about Sony, well sorry but I'm buying GTA IV for 360 and not PS3, will I get a PS3? Sure and more than likely when GT5 comes out but for now the 360 does me well.