We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Beginners guide to hill-climbing!

The Queen

Some people drive on normal roads in TDU. Some people prefer offroading in TDU and some people do both. In this topic I am going to list some tips for getting the best out of offroading in TDU.

First off, you need to find somewhere which is not on the road. Then you can progress in whatever direction you wish.

If you come to a hill the best thing is to get as much speed as is technically possible with the car you choose. I find that some of the Mercedes such as the SL65 and SLR are good for offroading. Also the Ford GT and the Murcielago are good cars for going offroading.

If you get stuck, there are a few procedures you should take. You should first try accelerating. Next if that doesn't work, try braking as it locks the wheels and sometimes loosens your car. If that doesn't work try reversing as this sometimes helps. Try a mixture of these procedures if you still can't get out but you should be able to get unstuck by this. Usually it's only if all your wheels are above ground then you need help from someone else. If there is nobody else around then it's game over.

Another trick for getting up hills is to try going diagonally. It may seem crazy but it usually works and you can sometimes get up hills which seem impossible using this method.

For driving across hills try to follow the ridge as this is usually the best way to conquer mountainous areas and try to not fall down the side otherwise you are in serious trouble and may have to start again.

Another trick for hills (if you have a wheel and pedals) is to try to gradually push the throttle or try throttling in bursts as this may get you up a steep hill easier than it would by flooring it. Trust me it works as I have tried it before and it has got me up some really steep hills :D

Bookmarking is essential if you are wanting to go long distances with Mountain Climbing. It saves you doing it time and time again. If you want to stop just bookmark a spot and come back to it at a later date. I have done this lots of times and it saved time.

The biggest mountains I have crossed are the ones on the east coast where the big waterfall is situated. It's always fun to show people you driving down the waterfall by using the bookmark if you have made one.

If you are trying to climb mountains and you have put all the hard work it usually pays off as you get a lovely view from a highish point. Like what me and S71NG3R got today as we went Mountain Climbing. You can literally see for miles in some cases!

The game may not be meant for climbing mountains and I bet Atari and Eden thought it wouldn't be so popular but it's very easy when you know how. Also unlike most games there are many places for which you can do it.

A few pictures are shown below of todays Mountain Climbing ;) We hope to carry on tomorrow as we have bookmarked a spot as it's not easy to go back there :D

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/20080405002721edit1.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/TheScottishSpotter/20080405002802edit1.jpg

I hope some of that information has helped you although maybe I have missed something out? Maybe theres something else. Come and show your pictures of lovely views and also advice that I have maybe not covered ;)

I normally use either the RS4(? ... 4 series saloon) or the Pontiac Firebird (yes you did read that correctly) for my off-roading.

My rule of thumb is as per real world off roading ... just keep the car rolling ... attacking a hill at full pelt isn't always the best plan ... making bookmarks once you reach a 'flat spot' isn't a bad idea on a mountain climb ... just in case you fall off the side.

Oh and the Plateau on the North West corner of the map is "Hybrid Mountain" ... I claimed it ages ago on the Forum (I think the official Atari one ... not too sure)

• 2 years later...