We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Which PC Components to Upgrade? [Help!]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. How does this help me? :p

Anyway ... dragging the thread onto topic ...

which 8800GT should I get and which is the cheapest 8800GTS you can find (decent manufacturer)? I'm not sure I need to spend extra (extra) money on the upgrade ... but it'll be interesting to see. As the lowest price difference I could find was £30.

Ironically the 8800GTX are more expensive than the 9800GTX and aren't as good. XD

That's good then. They used to be cheaper, but if the 9800GTX is cheaper now then go for that one.

which 8800GT should I get and which is the cheapest 8800GTS you can find (decent manufacturer)? I'm not sure I need to spend extra (extra) money on the upgrade ... but it'll be interesting to see. As the lowest price difference I could find was £30.

If you catch an offer you can get the 512mb GTS for around £145, sometimes less. As for which 8800GT, it doesn't make a lot of difference - look at price, warranty, software bundle etc. Don't just go solely for the biggest factory overclock, as sometimes these aren't all that stable with demanding games (I've seen several problems people had on the Atari forums solved just by suggesting they drop the clocks on their factory OC/d 8800GT a little bit). You should be able to get a good one for around £110-£120 including vat and delivery.

The 8800GTXs are about £200 or more and the 9800GTXs are £185 upwards

And the 9800GTX is better so I'd be an idiot not to buy one. :)

Cheapest 8800GTX on OcUK - £234.99 - LINK

Cheapest 9800GTX on OcUK - £187.99 - LINK

Compare the specs, the prices are stupid. The 9800GTX is clearly a heck of alot better. Unless there's some missing white text on this webpage that explains how the 8800GTX is better that only Kalniel can see?

That's good then. They used to be cheaper, but if the 9800GTX is cheaper now then go for that one.

If you catch an offer you can get the 512mb GTS for around £145, sometimes less. As for which 8800GT, it doesn't make a lot of difference - look at price, warranty, software bundle etc. Don't just go solely for the biggest factory overclock, as sometimes these aren't all that stable with demanding games (I've seen several problems people had on the Atari forums solved just by suggesting they drop the clocks on their factory OC/d 8800GT a little bit). You should be able to get a good one for around £110-£120 including vat and delivery.

Excuse my ignorance, I can't be bothered to go and check the site. The 8800GTS comes in 512MB now? I thought there were only 320GB and 640GB versions?

And the 9800GTX is better so I'd be an idiot not to buy one. :)

Cheapest 8800GTX on OcUK - £234.99 - LINK

Cheapest 9800GTX on OcUK - £187.99 - LINK

Compare the specs, the prices are stupid. The 9800GTX is clearly a heck of alot better. Unless there's some missing white text on this webpage that explains how the 8800GTX is better that only Kalniel can see?

Excuse my ignorance, I can't be bothered to go and check the site. The 8800GTS comes in 512MB now? I thought there were only 320GB and 640GB versions?

Here is a 9800GTX that has free shipping for £186.77 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143065

And yes there is now a 8800GTS 512Mb which is built around the G92 core, much better than the GT cards

Now that is some amount of memory on a video card ! ;)

Nugget perhaps?

Yah, it was a complete accident. I meant MB, Iced told me on MSN but I thought I'd leave it in for the lulz value.

Here is a 9800GTX that has free shipping for £186.77 and yes there is now a 8800GTS 512Mb which is built around the G92 core, much better than the GT cards

Firstly, what's a G92 core?

Also, you said "Here's a.."; when I read that I immediately looked for the link. No luck?

Yah, it was a complete accident. I meant MB, Iced told me on MSN but I thought I'd leave it in for the lulz value.

Also, you said "Here's a.."; when I read that I immediately looked for the link. No luck?

Erm the G9x cores are the cores that are used in the newer cards like the 9 series and the very recent 8 series cards and i for got to put in the link

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143065

Guest RB26DETT
Now that is some amount of memory on a video card ! ;)

Nugget perhaps?

lol. you need mahooosive tv to use all that memory properly. maybe a imax screen. :p

nVIDIA had an amazing high-end card when they originally released the 8800GTS 320/640 and GTX. It was so good that ATi realised they couldn't compete at the top end so instead they knocked out some more mid-range chips and sold them at a mid-range price. nVIDIA's mid-range offering was the 8600 chip which was worse than the previous generation's mid-range, so in the mainstream and higher volume market ATi trounced nVIDIA.

nVIDIA realised they had to do something about it quite quicky, so they brought forward the plans for their next generation series (9000) and the chip at the heart of that series is called G92. First of all they cut down a few shaders, lowered the clocks, and released it as the 8800GT. Even with the reduced stuff the next generation chip was so good (again) that this performance mainstream chip completely blew away nVIDIA's previous high end chip, the 8800GTS (both 320 and 640mb versions), which was supposed to be higher up in the line out.

Suddenly there's no point having a 8800GTS because the cheaper 8800GT performed a lot better. So they re-enabled some of the shaders and clockspeed of the G92 and released another card called the 8800GTS 512mb. Being based on the G92 it is really quick. The problem is it's called the same thing as a complete different and much worse performing chip!

When they came to release the next generation (the 9000) they were kind of a bit stuffed again, because they'd already released the chip into the 8000 series cards.. so they just tweaked the clockspeeds a little bit and rebadged the same cards. Hence a 9800GT is coming out soon that'll be very similar to the 8800GT, and the 9800GTX isn't really a step forward either.

What this means for us: Now is a good time to grab some great bargains! The 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512mb are for most intents and purposes just as fast as the 'new' 9000 series equivalents.. because they're the same chip. At the same time they're sold at cheap prices to compete with last generation products.

Guest RB26DETT

the 9800GTX is just a overclocked 8800GTS G92 from what i've heard.

EDIT: I can't wait for the GTX 200 and HD48xx series! If they live up to the hype, I may just put one of those in my next build. :excited:

There isn't really much hype about the HD48xx - ATi are just doing another very sensible mainstream release, ie fantastic value for money.

The GTX 260/280 though.. look brutal. Mega expensive, mega hot, mega-powerful. But not very elegant!

Guest RB26DETT

The GTX 260/280 though.. look brutal. Mega expensive, mega hot, mega-powerful. But not very elegant!

aye. they say the 280 is gonna beat the 9800GX2 in performance.

price drops on the 8800's FTW! hehehehehe.

Just to check things ... Got round to finalising a list so here it is. Price is a bit steep, I have the money sitting in the bank, it's just I don't like taking stuff from there xD It's just the way I've been brought up. So I'll work for it (I'll have to do something in this 3 months off!) £6/hr and have worked £90 already:

MB - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=605522

CPU - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823

GPU [Not decided on final manufactuer, or even if I'll get the GT, not GTS] - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=720490

RAM - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=402849

Cooler - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=340995

Case (Inc 500W PSU) - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=617633

SCAN: [Wouldn't include CPU, as it's not OEM, it's Retail]

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/Pc_Part_SCAN.jpg

OverClockers : UK:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/Pc_Part_OCUK.jpg

Ebuyer:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/Pc_Part_Ebuyer.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Your getting similar specs to me. Just a word of warning. According to reviews and ICT nerds, I mean experts, The HD 4850 is better than the GTS.

My specs i'll be getting at the beginging of next month:

EV Black Mid Tower Gaming Case with Massive 14cm Front Fan - No PSU

Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty

Maxtor 500GB Hard Drive 32MB Cache

Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L iP31 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair VX450WUK 450W PSU

Sony DRU-190S 20X DVD±RW DL & DVD-RAM Serial ATA - Retail Multi Bezel & Nero

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

• 4 weeks later...

i my rig runs it rly well on full with AA X4 on. mines got 2GB ram, intel core duo E4500, and a bog standerd 830GS cardin it . u cl try clocking youre cardwith riva tuner or something. take the strain of your cpu... oh btw no one needs quad cores if u gettng one u might aswel chuck youre monny out the window!

• 1 month later...

Forgive me for "butting in" seeing as that I havent read the 8 or so pages after the first comment....but.....

If you want you computer to go any faster I'll suggest getting some more ram... getting a bigger processor probably won't give you any visiable difference.

You might even want to just get some different ram, seeing that you own a dell, and they use the cheapest everything on the planet, the ram sucks.

If you still all pissy about getting a better processor you should attempt at overclocking it. Because its a dell and they don't want you overclocking it because its parts probably can't handel it, there is no overclocking anything in the bios. You'll have to use a program to do it for you, i recommend useing Clockgen which lets you adjust the FSB. You will also probably have to get a new psu (power supply) for the dell If you havent already. The dell one just can't handel the load. You might also want to get a new fan, because the dell's ones aren't very good (some over heat just on stock.)

Don't think Im downing on dell, I have one of their laptops. Plus you should try building a computer with the same spec.s and see how much it costs.

3l*|]1ablo;98500']Forgive me for "butting in" seeing as that I havent read the 8 or so pages after the first comment....but.....

If you want you computer to go any faster I'll suggest getting some more ram... getting a bigger processor probably won't give you any visiable difference.

You might even want to just get some different ram, seeing that you own a dell, and they use the cheapest everything on the planet, the ram sucks.

If you still all pissy about getting a better processor you should attempt at overclocking it. Because its a dell and they don't want you overclocking it because its parts probably can't handel it, there is no overclocking anything in the bios. You'll have to use a program to do it for you, i recommend useing Clockgen which lets you adjust the FSB. You will also probably have to get a new psu (power supply) for the dell If you havent already. The dell one just can't handel the load. You might also want to get a new fan, because the dell's ones aren't very good (some over heat just on stock.)

Don't think Im downing on dell, I have one of their laptops. Plus you should try building a computer with the same spec.s and see how much it costs.

I bought a whole new rig for £640 + a 1TB HDD from my Dad ;) See 'Iced_Bullet's Gaming Rig'

<--------- There