We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Building a PC

Loz

*nods* I usually put the case cables in early on, because they can be fiddly if you've got PCI cards near the bottom of the board. Power button/front panel cables are the worst - no two manufacturers seem to use the same scheme so you just have to look at the cables to try and determine which pins are which. Again the motherboard manual is the most helpful thing, as it should detail which pins go in which sockets.

That manual should also say which graphics card slot to use, though if they are identical then it doesn't matter - it will be one of the longer slots.

Any pics of your progress? :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*nods* I usually put the case cables in early on, because they can be fiddly if you've got PCI cards near the bottom of the board. Power button/front panel cables are the worst - no two manufacturers seem to use the same scheme so you just have to look at the cables to try and determine which pins are which. Again the motherboard manual is the most helpful thing, as it should detail which pins go in which sockets.

That manual should also say which graphics card slot to use, though if they are identical then it doesn't matter - it will be one of the longer slots.

Any pics of your progress? :)

Well, i put the Graphics Card in the Black Big slot, as it waqs easiest to get in.

Im not sure about the sound card, does it need a wire to the PSU?

And the picture... http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5339/dsc0264tj4.jpg

What kind of nothing? (Ie, did the power light come on, any hum from the PSU, and fans spinning etc.?)

By nothing, I think he means that none of that happened as in he pressed the button and no noise or lights or anything. I know this may sound stupid but it's a mistake that people make, is the switch on the back of your PSU set to 230V or something like that and is the little power button on?

The only thing it did was light up a green light on the Motherboard telling me that there is Power. Nothing else came on :(

I have someone comming out Sunday to have a look at it if i can't fix it.

The only thing it did was light up a green light on the Motherboard telling me that there is Power. Nothing else came on :(

Is the green light turning on/off as a result of you pushing the case 'on' button, or is it on all the time that the wall socket is turned on?

Additional question (which might have a simple answer) - why have you got black connectors going to your graphics card, rather than the red ones labelled PCI-express?

You don't need the speaker one - that's just for cases that have a separate speaker. The important one is the power +/- (in that picture it's the smaller red and black cabled connector) - note that's different from the power LED, which is just the on light :p