We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Your Top 5 Favourite Supercars (Possible 56k Killer!)

DriftNismo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford GT is a supercar, the Z06 is debatable, the Viper is more a muscle car than a supercar. In fact it's often referred to as "supercar looks for not supercar money". :)

A brief rundown of supercars in the proper sense of the word in which it was originally coined and created:

Mercedes-Benz 300SL (recognised as the worlds first supercar)

Lamborghini Miura (first use of the term supercar on record)

Ferrari 250 GTO

Lamborghini Countach

Ferrari F40

RUF 'Yellowbird' CTR

Jaguar XJ220

Bugatti EB110

Lamborghini Diablo

Ferrari F50

McLaren F1

Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR

Porsche GT1

Porsche 959

Pagani Zonda

Saleen S7

Ferrari Enzo

Maserati MC-12

Lamborghini Murcielago

Porsche Carrera GT

SSC Ultimate Aero TT

Bugatti Veyron (also known as Hypercar and Hyper Luxury GT)

Caparo T1

I respect the Skyline and Z-tune but they are by no way a supercar in the sense of the word in how and why it was created.

Just to tell you Diablo yes the Skyline is a supercar. I'm not just saying it to back up anyone or my belief that it is. Japan, right, They have built a supercar. Cause in that case that is pretty much the best they have built to compete on the level of supercars. The GTR is that nations supercar. American's supercars are the Viper, Z06, ect. Europe has dozens, and Asia. For them, their supercar is the GTR. In all respect the Z-tune and the GTR are supercars, not just cause they don't cost as much its the passion the nation puts into it that is what makes it a supercar, also the manufacturer.

Believe that all you like, but the only people who will agree with you, are people like you. It's obvious that over the last 10, 15 years popular culture is turning the traditions of certain pedigrees and labels into a farce.

I'm sure you've all heard these sayings about cars but this does not mean they are supercars.

"for not supercar money"

"supercar prowess"

"supercar looks"

"supercar performance"

"supercar stance"

"supercar wannabe"

"supercar profile"

"supercar presence"

You know what I think? I think Kingskyline is right about the term: American supercars are the GT, Z06, Viper, Europeans are the murci, Enzos, F430, and much more and Asian are skylines and others. But some Countries make cars that look more supercarish and that makes us think that the other country cars are not supercars but they actually are. Its just looks les supercarish

You know what I think? I think Kingskyline is right about the term: American supercars are the GT, Z06, Viper, Europeans are the murci, Enzos, F430, and much more and Asian are skylines and others. But some Countries make cars that look more supercarish and that makes us think that the other country cars are not supercars but they actually are. Its just looks les supercarish

It's not just about looks. Supercars are about passion and engineering. You can have a car that looks like one but does not have the somewhat qualities.

I'm not all about the whole tuning craze and how in the years people's view on supercars have changed. But just cause it isn't as extravagant like other supercars such as Lambos, Ferraris, GT40's ect. Clearly does not mean it isn't one. Their are certain qualities that aren't the same but it still doesn't change the fact that the GTR and Skyline are not supercars.

Some people may think they are just sports cars. But in Japan they are a supercar. And that is how it should be everywhere.

Ok, diablo, what do you call a supercar then? Someones definition was: "Limited amount made, expensive, quick and good looking."

Ok, maybe a normal GTR isn't ALL of those, but the Z-Tune is!

20 were made, they were $160,000 each, they had 550hp and did 206mph and they look brilliant! Although, the looks are debateable (sp?). I really should leave this but you are the ONLY person i have ever met who is adamant that it isn't a supercar.

I'm not asking for a full-stop definition, just what YOU feel is a supercar.

EDIT: Just out of interest, have you been in a GTR? Or a Z-Tune? Or even an R-Tune?

EDITEDIT: Yeah, the thing is though, everyone else i know is either a Eurosnob or a JDM lover, and i only know a few in-betweeners and they've said the Z-Tune is worthy of being a supercar. Except one, but he's only been in an R32 GTS 4-door and from that he now hates GTRs :S.

Btw, i've been in a 520hp Evo VI RS and that was scary :).

Been in an R33 and an R34 as well as a 600bhp Evo VI and the evo was probably faster than most supercars in getting to 150mph but that doesn't mean it's a supercar.

Personally I wouldn't ask myself what a supercar is but infact ask others and I don't mean people like you I mean those who like all types of cars

Diablo - surely the 288 GTO should be on the list as that was the 'halo' car at the time for Ferrari?

Drift - the 'problem' with a Z-Tune is that it's a 'tarted up' existing car ... if you notice all the cars both myself and Diablo call Supercars are stand alone vehicles (the only exception being the Yellowbird but lets not go there). I agree with lots of people that Japanese cars have 'fallen under the radar' for not being 'Supercars' but most (if not all) of the recent batch have either been a chuffing quick coupe/saloon and so would be classified as a sportscar

A 'Supercar' in the 'true' sense is something a little different ... if you look at Diablos recent list pretty much all the cars are classed as 'halo' cars for the company they are made by ... a 'halo' car being this limited, quick, styled thing that 'showcases' something and is often the leader in it's peer-group for performance (that's speed and handling).

To say that a Z-Tune is a 'supercar' because it costs a lot of money and does more than 200mph doesn't work ... I'll give you the example of Bentley ... the current 'Flying Spur' costs over £100k and does over 200mph (I think they've had one at 206mph around Nardo with 4 up!) ... but it's a quick saloon

Sorry but it's just a coupe that some boys have played with and made it chuffing fast!

yeah the Rossa would definitely be there ... I remember seeing city boys getting them stuck down some lanes in London!

hopefully Drift has got the idea now ... these kids need to read up and watch some proper cars !

I'd recommend watching the openning titles of "The Italian Job" (the one with Mr Caine and NOT Mr Walberg) and "The Cannonball Run" to see some proper cars in action

I don't need to read up on anything, i've been in more Evos and GTRs than you can count and enough 360s/430s and Murcielagos and such to match. I'm not the average Need For Speed, F&F believer, they had no effect on me whatsoever, but i've been going to car shows from a very early age and people i know have had so many quick cars in their time, i just hate it when people say that F&F and NFS has shifted my way of thinking. Infact, i think it's shifted older generations way of thinking into them thinking there are no asian supercars because they're all heavily tuned but still won't touch a Ferrari or Lambo.

But this is getting too off-topic.

Haha no, a Lambo, Ferrari or Pagani might be beaten in speed, acceleration and track time by another car but that doesn't make that car a supercar. And sorry but no Japanese car except perhaps the NSX is seen as a supercar, even the new GT-R is being seen as a "supercar killer" but not a supercar.

And yes NFS and F&F is changing the label and making more people not so much you, but there are definitely plenty of kids who will rate a car better just because it is faster when in fact that is not what being a supercar is all about.

It's nothing to with snobbery or any of that crap either, supercar's are special and have a certain formula that can't really be explained. And who cares about how many cars you've been in, that's irrelevant and again it sounds like you think anything that is as fast or is faster than a supercar is itself a supercar which sorry to say is the F&F way of thinking.

F355 vs Supra in F&F, just because the Supra beat the F355 does not mean the Supra is the better car.

The reason i said i've been in a lot of cars is just to show that i'm not the average kid who just gets all his views on vehicles from Top Gear and F&F and sitting indoors playing games all day, i get them from actually being in the vehicles.

I completely understand what you are saying, i'm sorry if i've come off as rude or anything, i'm just sick of eurosnobs. I'm not saying you are one, or a lot of other people here for that matter are eurosnobs, it's just that i've had arguments with people on other forums before about this, but they didn't know what they were talking about as all they did was watch Top Gear, and it just seems like everyone picks on Japan all the time, and the only reason i see why is because GTRs and Supras and such are all famous among a lot of people from NFS and F&F, so it seems like they have shifted a lot of peoples minds into thinking they are just boy racers.

Btw, none of this is directed at ANYONE here, but like i said, a lot of people on other forums are like that, and i'm sick of it.

Guest RB26DETT

i'm with ya there driftnismo. i myself wasn't a product of NFS and F&F. i got my love for japanese cars from reading magazines and watching review videos. maybe the thought also that these cars can get 1000hp with an engine smaller than 3.0L(beat that buggati! :p)

oi, i'm not a jdm fanatic. i like euro and american cars also. ask the people I play TDU with. i'm always in my Skyline(Japan), V8 Vantage(Euro), and Z06(American). But the 5 cars i listed here, sure they were mostly JDM cars, but they were my 5 SUPER CARS.

/cheesy post

i'm with ya there driftnismo. i myself wasn't a product of NFS and F&F. i got my love for japanese cars from reading magazines and watching review videos. maybe the thought also that these cars can get 1000hp with an engine smaller than 3.0L(beat that buggati! :p)

oi, i'm not a jdm fanatic. i like euro and american cars also. ask the people I play TDU with. i'm always in my Skyline(Japan), V8 Vantage(Euro), and Z06(American). But the 5 cars i listed here, sure they were mostly JDM cars, but they were my 5 SUPER CARS.

/cheesy post

I'm with both RB and Nismo. I have loved the Skyline ever since I had the first gran Turismo. Where I was actually able to drive it, virtually ofcourse.

I have nothing else to say and RB's second paragraph pretty much sums up what I would say. I would just be repeating what he said.

EDIT: If the Skyline was a girl I would make love to her. That is how most people would describe a car. (not like that british guy tho who bangs a VW Beetle :wtf:)

Guest RB26DETT

I think me and KingSkyline were separated at birth. Because I completely forgot that the first I've ever heard of the Skyline was from Gran Turismo 2 on the old PSone. I loved that car also on GT3 and GT4.

Oh just so that everyone DOESN'T class me as a Eurosnob ... my car that I've just traded in for the Alfa, and that I owned for 7 years was a Celica ... my car history actually goes ...

Mini (proper one not that BMW rubbish)

MR-2 MKI T-Bar

Fiat Bravo HGT

Celica 7th Gen(?)

Alfa Spider (946)

See not a eurosnob at all