We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Parkour?

Car Freak

Ok, so having been inspired by Mirror's Edge, I'm thinking of taking up parkour. No special reason, just maybe something i can work towards in life. Few things though:

I'm TERRIFIED of the consequences of tripping over an obstacle and stuff like that.

Long term injuries?

May not be fit/strong enough

So there's a couple of questions i want to ask TDU-C:

Anyone here does parkour or anything similar?

Your general opinions about parkour

Should I do it or not? (and if possible, something beyond the usual "It's your choice/Do what you want to/Follow your heart")

It keeps you very fit, and at the same time is enjoyable; especially with others. I would suggest at least trying it, otherwise you'll never know if you like it. If you're scared of injury... just dont jump off anything too big and learn how to roll (especially spontaneous rolling, like if you take an unexpected fall).

Also quite useful if you need to get somewhere on foot quick, and gives a sense of satisfaction.

We all used to do it as kids, before it ever got called parkour.

I think it's probably quite rubbish as something to 'take up' - there's no real motivation or goal-orientation that will keep you wanting to do it. Rock climbing is remarkably similar from a fitness point of view, and is well-established in most countries meaning you can join a club, get out and see some great countryside etc., so I'd go for that instead if I were you.

If you want to start to do Parkour, do it with some people who have a real experience into this sport, and who practice with learning steps and in safe conditions.

Else it could lead to severe injuries.

Doing sports like fitness or rock-climbing could be a good start to prepare your body to Parkour, it's easier to find a proper structure and easier to start practicing.

I know a few guys who do parkour, i've tried it a few times with them but I haven't got the stamina for it. Maybe i'll take it up a bit later...

But yeah, it depends on what you call parkour. If you're just talking about jumping over fences and jumping the odd 2 metre gap then that's not parkour, it's just running about :p. But if you mean actual freerunning, then yeah, go for it, just (like Maug said) start it with some people who have experience in it if you can, and start off in safe places. E.g. learn vaulting and stuff over benches, then move to fences and higher obstacles, etc.

Good luck with it if you do decide to go through with it mate ;).