We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

I know what I want for my first car!

Captain_ClutchKick

A Suzuki Cappucino with a boxy wide body kit that stretches accross the whole width of the widened tyres and axles, maximising lateral g-forces that can be pulled in it.

Why?

It's light, cheap to run, power can be reliably doubled, and eventually I want to do something insane with a few spare engines: make them all into a quad-turbo flat 12 and, combining the power from all that and the light weight of the car, make a Veyron beater.

*Ambitous dreamy expression*

And once you've told an insurance company of the mods then they will add a few 0's on the end of the quote. Also if you go down the not tell them route, your insurence is invalid so if you have an accident or get asked by Mr Plod your in deep doo doo.

Don't mean to ruin your dream, but most people I know rarely get a quote for under £1000 unless they are female or are on their parents insurence. So adding bits will kill the insurence.

Remember the TVR Speed 12? That had two 350bhp straight sixes which when combined at the crank made over 900bhp. That's alot.

Now, the theory is this. The Cappo weighs a paltry 720kg standard. I'm not too sure how heavy its 3 cylinder turbo 650cc engine is, though I doubt it will be a biffa. Due to Kei car regulations it gets 64bhp as standard, though this can be doubled. So if I custom build a crank and sump for it, I can make two engines into one flat six with 260+bhp in a potential 800kg car. That's already 325bhp (probably less) per tonne.

Now imagine another identical flat six in front of that one. Add serious suspension adapted to fit from some other car, triple plate clutch, strengthened gearbox (eventually relocated to the rear) and four large turboes, more RPM...

Were it to be made, wouldn't that be faster than Norris' new SWB Evo IX? More cylinders in a similar capacity would sound better too

I've got pics of that from the Gaydon Motor Heritage Museum, well a Blue Mobil one.

Thats a nice body kit, but that spoiler is illegal here as it over hangs the edge of the car and restricts the view out the rear window thus making it an MOT failure, would have been on if it was standard but after market its a no no.

Pff, there really is no liberty in this country. It shouldn't be a problem, so long as I don't damage other people's cars.

If that spoiler is illegal, then it will have to be a re-shaped bootlid job rather than a proper wing. Or one that goes as high as the top of the window. Plus I'm big on underbody aerodynamics too, one of the first mods I will do to my car is sheet aluminium the bottom completely flat. Not sure how much that will pay for itself in fuel economy, but it's something often neglected so I'm willing to try it anyway. Exhaust will probably overheat, so side exit may be in order.

Well you can have them most remove them for an MOT, but Mr Plod may not be as forgiving.

Intrigued with the underbody aerodynamics but again not sure how legal side pipes are but saying that alot of bigger vehicles have them (busses, trucks etc) but I'm sure I read something about it somewhere, think its to do with petrol engines dumping fuel into the exhaust and spitting flames.

Sounds like that could be it, and with any decent anti lag kit you will get flames. Hmm... I'll buy one when I am in Japan, then see what I do with it. Though, I feel a Datsun 210 pickup might be interesting and get around that problem. If registered as a commercial vehicle, then tax is cheaper plus it may be exempt from a few MOT clauses. They're great for drifting because you can fill the back with tyres and run what you brung. But I might just end up putting an RB26 there...

Hey Capt you forgot one fundamental thing: Your dream flat 12 wouldn't fit in the Espresso, er i mean Cappuccino...

There is a way around it: it's called a subframe, a wide body kit and ingenious relocating of parts. The battery may fit in the boot, struts will be moved outside of the existing wheelarches anyway. Plus the wheelbase could even be extended if the engine bay was being expanded. This improves the handling of the car, because the wider it gets, the more central the weight of the cockpit is, which is A Good Thing.

You call it girly Balto, I call it nimble and efficient. Look at the potential here. All it needs is a crapload more power...

I want something japanese, before 2005, 2-door coupe, FR-layout or 4x4. And I want it NAO! :D

Done:

Nissan-200%20SX-0.jpg

CA18DET - 1.8 Turbocharged Inline-4 Cylinder putting out 180hp stock, FR layout, you can pick up 5-speed manuals for £800.

And Captain, you have a fantastic dream. I've often thought about how much potential the Cappucino has as a track car. It's shown in that video by how quickly he turns into the corners. However, I've always thought of pushing the dashboard back and fitting an SR20DET into it (stroking it to 2.3 litres would make it a monster) seeing as you can extract up to 700hp from the engine before stroking it up, and just putting a fire extinguisher in the boot :p.

But your plan really turns it into a beast. It would take Skylines, Supras, RX7s and Porsches no doubt on the track, but you would need to spend a LONG time on the body to fit the engines. On a number of levels you wouldn't have it as a road car, mainly because of insurance, but you also couldn't just make do with a boot lip spoiler on such a light and powerful car because it would be WAYY too slippery, and I also doubt the legality of a huge wing on it.

But I'm sure side-exit exhausts are legal, I've seen a LOT of cars with side-exit exhausts on the road that weren't on the production versions of the car (namely Evos and a few Imprezas).

If you ever was to build it, i can haz ride? :thumbsup:

Everyone needs a dream but few this with this.

One the chassis just won't be able to take it surly?

Two this will cost a fortune?

Three are you capaible of making all this custom parts (Don't take as insult I don't know your experience)

Also for the amount of money this will cost isn't it better to start with a good car?

I would love to build it as a proper track car, but keep it road legal. The reason for the unusual powerplant can be sumarised thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8qPlOKB0I

Absolutely phenomenal sound from BRM's supercharged 1500cc V16. A 2.4 turbocharged boxer 12 would sound just as good, I think

Nobody makes small-capacity multi-cylinder engines anymore. Surely with direct injection they are the way to better fuel economy? Because the fuel, if it should puddle which is possible even when sprayed, can only be as big as the cylinder in which it is combusted. With smaller combustion chambers, i.e, cylinders, the fuel should react with the air better since more surface area is in contact, like smaller cubes of sugar dissolving better than larger ones.

I have done some metal casting in my time, I've been a volunteer in an industrial museum, was part of a school team which built a radio controlled for Formula Schools, and I have a GCSE in engineering, so I wouldn't say I'm entirely clueless.

When I go to Japan in October for a gap year I will be teaching English, which is the highest paid teaching English job in the world, incidentally. I hope to have saved enough. I plan on becoming a journalist since I like writing, but having chosen philosophy, photography, and English language, I'm beginning to regret not choosing any sciency subjects at A-level.

Actually, no, I'm not, I could never stand the maths... :rolleyes:

Oh, and you're all welcome to have a ride in a few years, when/if it is finished ;)

Your dreaming mate! No one ever gets their dream car as their first car

I disagree!

My first car was also my dream - a mk2 golf GTI :D (It was very cheap!)

But I agree with the comments that a body kit Cappucino is a terrible choice of 'dream car' in the first place - in a car that under-powered you need to save as much weight as possible.

A non-modded one would be fine, though an MX5 is probably better all-round, and mk1s are really really cheap.