We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

2010 Shelby Mustang GT500

Shy Guy

2010 Shelby GT500

"Following the introduction of the 2010 Ford Mustang at the LA Auto Show in November, Ford [url=http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500.html#][/url]today officially revealed the more potent Shelby GT500 edition, ahead of its expected debut at the Detroit auto show next month. Powered by a 540 horsepower 5.4-liter V8, the new Shelby is more powerful than its predecessor by 40 horses.

Ford says its Special Vehicle Team (SVT) division carried over the gains made with the special edition Shelby GT500KR to the more widely produced Shelby model. The new GT500 also gains the GT500KR’s whopping 510 pound-feet of torque.

“Working together on the KR, the Ford and Shelby teams developed new systems to continually improve the iconic Mustang,” stated Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles.

“Those lessons learned are incorporated into the 2010 Shelby GT500. This approach will help maintain Mustang’s leadership position at the front of the pack and make the ownership experience even more enjoyable.”

New gearbox enhancements, plus a standard 3.55:1 rear axle ratio, decreased drag, and increased downforce mean the 2010 Shelby GT500 will deliver improved acceleration, while providing 2 mpg of additional highway fuel efficiency.

“The muscle car segment is becoming even more competitive,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief nameplate engineer for SVT. “We need to uphold the Mustang badge with honor, the Shelby badge with honor and most importantly the Ford badge with honor. The 2010 GT500 is the car that will do all of that.”

The supercharged and intercooled V8, featuring dual overhead cams, redlines at 6,250 rpm.

The twin-disc clutch on the six-speed manual transmission has been upgraded, yielding better performance. The clutch discs are larger — 250 mm in diameter compared with 215 mm — and made of copper and fiberglass for increased strength.

Revised gear ratios promise better acceleration and economy. Gears 1 through 4 remain the same, but fifth gear changes from .80 to .74 while sixth gear goes from .63 to .50, meaning that the 2010 Shelby GT500 will turn lower engine RPMs in those gears and deliver improved efficiency. The new final drive ratio, from 3.31 to 3.55, enables the improved acceleration in lower gears.

Engineers reportedly paid extra attention to improving cabin noise. “You still hear the supercharger but not so that it’s intrusive,” said Kerry Baldori, chief functional engineer for SVT. “It’s the same with the exhaust. You want people to know you’re driving something special, but you don’t want an exhaust note that overpowers the whole interior.”

New lightweight wheels, optimized springs and dampers, Goodyear F1 Supercar tires, and a stiffer steering shaft all promise to enhance handling.

Other features include AdvanceTrac stability control (which can be disabled), dual stage front air bags, side-impact air bags, Ford SYNC, 911 Assist, a constantly updated Vehicle Health Report (VHR), and an Ambient Lighting System with MyColor. Voice-activated navigation with Sirius Travel Link is optional.

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500.html

Pics in the Source Link, there are lots of high quality pics and I can't post em all...

IMO its a great car and it looks better than the '10 Mustang.

Have you watched "Clarkson : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"?:)

Yep got it on DVD, theres a Roush and a Shelby go head to head iirc or is it a Saleen, can't remember.

But I'm a bit biased to Roush as they are based 10mins down the road from where I live. They tuned some of the Ford GT's there aswell.

Anyways back on topic

Yep got it on DVD, theres a Roush and a Shelby go head to head iirc or is it a Saleen, can't remember.

But I'm a bit biased to Roush as they are based 10mins down the road from where I live. They tuned some of the Ford GT's there aswell.

Anyways back on topic

Yes, that`s why I asked you. There was a test between Roush and Shelby Mustang. I think Roush is the better car but the Shelby is prettier. :thumbsup:

name one thing about the looks of this car that relates to the old mustang or one thing about this car that is worth mentioning, and I will eat my shorts lol.

I swear I don't know what Ford is going to do with the Mustang.

They give it to Saleen and all Saleen does is stick chrome wheels on it.

And Roush just puts this terrible body kit on it.

name one thing about the looks of this car that relates to the old mustang or one thing about this car that is worth mentioning, and I will eat my shorts lol.

I swear I don't know what Ford is going to do with the Mustang.

They give it to Saleen and all Saleen does is stick chrome wheels on it.

And Roush just puts this terrible body kit on it.

Well, I agree that they have almost nothing in common. But why not, it`s called progress. Changes happen, nothing will be the same in the next years.;) For me it looks mean and that`s the point of Shelby : mean and fast.:)