We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Alternate Brakes V2

Duns_Inc

A simple attempt to get rid of/minimise the screeching brakes, without loosing the skidding effects.

TDU uses some of the same files for both brakes and skids, so a perfect solution is not possible without the elusive official patch. :confused:

A balance has to be struck - so I've only touched 2 files, since changing all the sounds used for braking would mean practically no skidding at all.

Furthermore, not all cars use the same braking sounds (linked to tire/rim size I think).

Some brake screeching still occur, for some cars, mostly at low speeds. Some have been completely "cured".

*(Personal opinion) The skidding is actually improved by this change - more rubber against asphalt and a little less "Hollywood". :lol:

Enjoy, change, mod, edit, delete as you please.

I hope you find it an improvement as I do.

Daniel

A Super Special Thank You, from me to SALADINE :excited::thumbsup:

**V2 UPDATE**

Seeing as a lot of people enjoy driving the Murci and the Enzo, for reasons beyond me :cheeky: , neither holds a candle to the timeless Countach :excited: , I decided to make Version 2.

In order to alleviate the groaning and misery of this poor misguided crowd. :nanananana:

The following is an exerpt from an old document of hoary wisdom I had lying around! :drool:

------------------------------------

Brake Mod for Test Drive Unlimited.

------------------------------------

------------

Version 2

------------

Usage:

* Backup your "common.bnk" file.

* Use Djey's TDUModTools to inject&replace the **appropriate files** into your common.bnk file. (choose "modify file size")

* Use Djey's TDUModTools to "Disable File Size Check" (or download/use "Magic Map")

* Make coffee ....or other hot beverage ....but not coco - it won't work. :cheeky:

Duns Inc.

=========================================================================

**Appropriate files**

----------------------

The mod only deals with 3 files, these are:

* asphalt_skid_longitudebrakesoft_car_mono.wav

* Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid.wav

* Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid_3.wav

There are several versions of these files, the archive structure is as follows:

* Originals * - These are the original files extracted from "common.bnk" just in case you forget or ignore my advise. :D

* originals 4dB * - the 2 "Longituninal_skid" files increased by 4dB.

* Screechless Brakes A * - The files from Version 1, polished to produce a better loop, in case you brake for more than 3.611sec.

* Screechless Brakes B * - A new set of screechless brakes - for no good reason. :confused: time well spent I guess. :rolleyes:

=========================================================================

Example 1:

Inject&Replace

"asphalt_skid_longitudebrakesoft_car_mono.wav" & "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid.wav" from "Screechless Brakes A or B".

Example 2:

(if you find that your car of choice is still screeching)

Inject&Replace

"Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid_3.wav" from "Screechless Brakes A or B".

"Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid.wav" from "Originals"

** and vice versa **

NOTE:

* "asphalt_skid_longitudebrakesoft_car_mono.wav" - once replaced - needs not be swapped, when swapping "Longituninal_skid(s)"

* Replacing "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid_3.wav" with a screechless sound will significantly impact skidding, to offset this somewhat, I've included a +4dB version of "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid.wav" - try it, it helps. ;)

* I've also included a +4dB version of "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid_3.wav"

* You can, of course, replace both "Longituninal_skid(s)" with screechless versions. You won't need to do the occasional swapping - but the skidding will be all but gone.

* Too much coffee and cheese can make you fart! a lot!

Many friendly greetings

Daniel a.k.a Sir Fartalot ( I'll stink-up your car )

Nice work, I'm trying it now, but I think you should also include a Video ;)

EDIT: Umm, I've tried but nothing changed, maybe because I'm the first time using Djey's file browsers even following the readme file, because I usually use the bnkextractor instead which is faster, maybe u should upload a whole common.bnk file?

Thx

I decided upon the manual injection method because people may have modified their common.bnk in other aspects.

Reading through the ReadMe again, I can't really see, what could have gone wrong - did you remember the last step ? :cheeky:

Wich car(s) did you try ?

Try again ;) and if there's really a problem, I'll upload a common.bnk - and re-examine my long held belief in "if it works for me - it'll work for you". :confused:

Though I've changed my common.bnk further - but I have the original, so I'll compile another if need be.

Note: I just tried doing it myself, again, and it worked! again.

I realise that, this doesn't help you :D but my original theory still holds.

Anyone else care to input ?

Don't despair, Sir Fartalot is here ....or there :drool:

now where's that coffee.....

and does it works on BNK Extractor? I've first tried on BNK Extractor and it says the new files is abit larger

Well, if you're already using the patched Bnk1.map (Magic Map), then it ought to at least work. But I use Djey's ModdingTools as it's better at replacing files of different size.

I don't drive the exotic cars that much these days, but I think I have a save with the Enzo, I'll load it up.

EDIT:

Indeed the Enzo does screech a bit, less than before and only at low speed, so don't drive around at 25Mph and brake alot in an Enzo Ferrari. :D

Like I said, it's a balancing act - trying to remove the screeching from as many cars as possible, without messing up the skids.

It's a shame the Enzo happens to be on the wrong side of the track, but try driving it at Ferrari speeds and you'll see (hear) the screeching brakes are gone.

Hey, nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot. I've been searching for this since a while.

Works great. I've noticed two cars, for which it doesn't work: The Ferrari 308 (but the squeak is a bit less loud, imo) and the Alfa Comp.

Sorry for my bad english.

Edit: Here's my common.bnk with the files from above, nothing else has been changed

Common.bnk.zip

Hey, nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot. I've been searching for this since a while.

Works great. I've noticed two cars, for which it doesn't work: The Ferrari 308 (but the squeak is a bit less loud, imo) and the Alfa Comp.

Sorry for my bad english.

Edit: Here's my common.bnk with the files from above, nothing else has been changed

Common.bnk.zip

Thx, I'm trying it later

Gonna try this out :D

Usage:

* Backup your "common.bnk" file.

* Use Djey's TDUModTools to inject/replace the 2 files in this Archive into your common.bnk file. (choose "modify file size")

* Use Djey's TDUModTools to "Disable File Size Check" (or download/use "Magic Map")

* Make coffee

Can i make tea instead, i dont like coffee...

Safiro's reply wasn't in response to you Maple. He was merely asking permission to make a slightly less caffeinated (word?) beverage - as is instructed in the README for this modification - as he is not so into Coffee coFFee COffee COFFEE Coffeefee Cofeffefefefeefefee. Though I have no idea why!!

Safiro's reply wasn't in response to you Maple. He was merely asking permission to make a slightly less caffeinated (word?) beverage - as is instructed in the README for this modification - as he is not so into Coffee coFFee COffee COFFEE Coffeefee Cofeffefefefeefefee. Though I have no idea why!!

opps, lemme delete it,

BTW, I've open file browsers and hear every single file in the common sound file, and I think there are more sounds rather than just 2, and hope you can fix that, because my Mur doesn't work when the others work.

Sure you can make tea instead Safiro, in fact, I'm going to have some now.

I just found some green Earl grey, would believe it ... green Earl Grey. :oook:

:D I just now realized the unintentional pun ... :imwithstupid:

Maplecars:

BTW, I've open file browsers and hear every single file in the common sound file, and I think there are more sounds rather than just 2, and hope you can fix that

I was going to invite you to reread the inital post and reply #5 :nuts: but I'll go through it ...again.

Look, it's simple.

Yes there are more than 2 sounds containing screeching, wich are used for braking, but...

But, they are also used for skidding !

What I've done is an attemp to single out the sounds responsible for most of the undesirable screeching brakes, while affecting the skidding as little as possible.

So basically, all I've done is replace 2 sounds with a low rumble sorta sound, to immitate the high friction sound of rubber (travelling at 200Mph, weighed down by 2000+ pounds) against asphalt - suddenly coming to a stop, but without actually blocking.

And furthermore, to "double" as a skidding effect.

It's not perfect, I know, but if you touch the other screeches, you'll ruin the skidding ...almost entirely.

Cheers (off to make that green Duke)

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh...:( Maple , my good Maple. :D

This time, you are going to have to actually read stuff. :cheeky:

Then, hopefully, you'll see why I did it this way, had to do it this way, why it's better and more flexible this way and why I can't just upload a common.bnk.

Peace ;)

Sigh...:( Maple , my good Maple. :D

This time, you are going to have to actually read stuff. :cheeky:

Then, hopefully, you'll see why I did it this way, had to do it this way, why it's better and more flexible this way and why I can't just upload a common.bnk.

Peace ;)

I know, but I'm not familiar with TDU modding tool, except converting 2db files, you can make two files, one is common and one is only for those who don't know how to do.

The ModTools are really easy and I made quite an effort to explain the different combinations of files and their effect and side-effect.

Try reading it and give it some honest effort :) if you get stuck, tell me wich car you need fixed and I'll tailor a common.bnk for you. :)

In fact you might wan't to follow Example 2 ...as I made that with you in mind.

The same could be said for this entire version 2 actually. :D

I'll get you started. I'm guessing, you like driving the Murcielago ?

If so -

Inject:

* "asphalt_skid_longitudebrakesoft_car_mono.wav" & "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid_3.wav" from "Screechless Brakes A or B".

** "Longituninal_skid_negatif_Mid.wav" from "Originals 4dB"

Be warned though, the skidding is significantly reduced when replacing "_mid_3.wav", as is mentioned, even when using the +4dB "_mid.wav" to offset AND the cars that use "_mid.wav" for braking will, of course, have their screeching brakes boosted similarly.

I've got my fingers crossed :thumbsup:

(and legs cause I need to go pee pee)

Maple: TDU Modding Tools is purely easy to use. If you can edit textures using photoshop, then you can EASILY replace some 2db files.

all you do is:

1. Open TDU Modding Tools

2. Click on "File Browser"

3. Navigate to the ..\Vehicules\ Folder

4. Click once on "Common_car.bnk"

5. Use the scroll bar to navigate to the sound files in question

6. Click on "replace > Modify size"

7. Navigate to the downloaded sound file

8. Click on Select/Ok

9. Done. Load up TDU and enjoy.

Simple. I'm not even on my desktop now, and it is all from memory.

Thanks for helping out Sponge - just a quick correction.

What you said is correct, :) but it's for texture replacements.

For sounds, the correct path would be "..\Sound\Vehicules\

and the file to alter would be "common.bnk" instead of "common_car.bnk".

Speaking of "common_car.bnk" :D would someone please take a look at this thread and help me out: http://forum.tdu-central.com/showthread.php?t=7076

Thanks in advance ;)

Maple: TDU Modding Tools is purely easy to use. If you can edit textures using photoshop, then you can EASILY replace some 2db files.

all you do is:

1. Open TDU Modding Tools?

2. Click on "File Browser"

3. Navigate to the ..\Vehicules\ Folder

4. Click once on "Common_car.bnk"

5. Use the scroll bar to navigate to the sound files in question

6. Click on "replace > Modify size"

7. Navigate to the downloaded sound file

8. Click on Select/Ok

9. Done. Load up TDU and enjoy.

Simple. I'm not even on my desktop now, and it is all from memory.

Or Bnk file editor?

Or Bnk file editor?

yeah, normally I use bnk editor, and I stopped because it saids the new sound is bigger than the current sound.

I'll try doing it later, and I think I didn't do it wrong at the very first, cause when I finished replacing it, I've tested the Enzo and the Murcielago, and both of them actually really doesn't work, but it's just I'm lazy to do it.

Will try later.