We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

USA guys: Help me -> iPhone questions.

Mb

Hi guys.

As some of you know im in the USA this summer. The iPhone seems do be damn cheap so i might pick one up.

But just some things i want to get clear.

- What are the prices on average (USD)?

- Is there some sort of subscription?

- Are they avaiable without subscription?

Thanks in advande. Hope you guys help me out.

:cheers:

You can buy it (iPhone 3G) contract free but it'll cost more. It will also be locked to AT&T, so to use it at home you'll need to jailbreak it.

Also bear in mind that the new iPhone 3G S is about to become available as of Friday so demand will be high for those and at first I doubt you'll be able to buy one without a contract.

It seems a lot of hassle but if it is significantly cheaper than in Holland got for it.

What is AT&T?

Ofcourse i will jailbrake it, lol. Still have to figure out how to but and where but still :p

Yes the 3GS will be avaiable. Im there till 31 August. Would it be available at the airport when flying back home, without some sort of subscription?

@ TWM: Ok, thanx. :) How does it work with a sim-card btw. Can i just open it up and put it in or what? :)

@ Elliot: I think i just go for the 3G first so atleast there should be one sim-free.

Yea, there is a small tray that pops out of the top of the phone (they give you a special tool to release it, although you can use a bent paper clip) and you put your Sim on the tray and slide it back in.

I know that in the UK the iPhone 3G is available on a Pay As You Go (PAYG) basis but all I can find with regard to the USA is contract plans. AT&T's website isn't particularly helpful. As for where to buy one, an AT&T store, Apple store or Best Buy, they are the main ones but there is likely others (Americans chime in).

There must be some Americans here with iPhones or at least the knowledge of how much one costs if you don't take a contract, assuming that's even allowed.

I know that when I got mine on contract I paid £99, the phone without a contract was £300 or more. : /

what part of America are you going to? if there is an Apple store in the area you may get more help than just trying to buy it at a cell phone store

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?afid=p202%7CMSUSp101146799&cid=OAS-US-KWM-iPhone

click the link, then at the top left there is a blue box with a chat option, click that. it will give you access to an apple employee