We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

GFX Card Problem

Last night i decided it was time to update my graphics card drivers for my ATI 3870 from version 4.6 to the newest of 9.6

installation and everything went fine but then came the problems...

i set up my card in the catalyst control centre to the same settings as when i had driver version 4.6

i tried to play on COD WAW and my average FPS for 20 seconds was 7! yes, 7! on the least graphic intensive map in the game! before i updated, i always averaged at least 70 FPS on that map.

i fiddled around with the settings and the max i can get with graphics to my liking is 20 FPS (24x AA, everything else set to the lowest for the performance)

why the hell have the new drivers SLAUGHTERED my FPS?

Don't know what to suggest, other than reverting to the last drivers.

I remember downloading new drivers for my nvidia card but they messed up GTA IV so badly it was unplayable, had to revert to the previous drivers until they released new ones that patched the problem.

I was only able to do it 'cause I kept all my old drivers in my download folder incase I had a problem.

So I dunno, lol, try googling it.

Edit: Just did myself and there's links to a few old drivers, like 9.1 etc. You sure you downloaded the right drivers for your card/PC? Are there 32-bit and 64-bit versions?

I was only able to do it 'cause I kept all my old drivers in my download folder incase I had a problem.

So I dunno, lol, try googling it.

Edit: Just did myself and there's links to a few old drivers, like 9.1 etc. You sure you downloaded the right drivers for your card/PC? Are there 32-bit and 64-bit versions?

yeh, my 3870 is the radeon version and im using 64 bit vista, i downloaded the AMD Radeon 3870 64 bit vista drivers

Last night i decided it was time to update my graphics card drivers for my ATI 3870 from version 4.6 to the newest of 9.6

installation and everything went fine but then came the problems...

i set up my card in the catalyst control centre to the same settings as when i had driver version 4.6

i tried to play on COD WAW and my average FPS for 20 seconds was 7! yes, 7! on the least graphic intensive map in the game! before i updated, i always averaged at least 70 FPS on that map.

i fiddled around with the settings and the max i can get with graphics to my liking is 20 FPS (24x AA, everything else set to the lowest for the performance)

why the hell have the new drivers SLAUGHTERED my FPS?

AA is anti-aliasing, it can take up a hell of a lot of power on your graphics card, and to be fair, the 3870 is quite old now. Most modern cards probably can't run games with 24xAA. Just turn that down to 4 and you'll be fine. It won't look much different either.

Turn it down anyway and come back to us with the result. 24x really isn't necessary to be honest.

Has anything else changed on the PC other than new GFX drivers?

EDIT: Has the performance changed noticeably on any other game?

turned it down to 8x AA, im now running 65 FPS max on a monitor set to run at 75FPS

i havent checked any other games but i highly highly doubt it will be cod only as i havent changed a single game setting at all in any games since i updated the drivers

erm guys, my GFX card could easily handle 24x AA before i updated the drivers....its the drivers which are causing the problem, not the AA

No it couldn't - what was probably happening was your old drivers were buggy and didn't actually run at 24x. Now you actually have 24xAA you're seeing the performance hit.

No it couldn't - what was probably happening was your old drivers were buggy and didn't actually run at 24x. Now you actually have 24xAA you're seeing the performance hit.

Exactly. Theres no way in hell that you can run COD WaW on a 3870 at those type of graphics and have 24xAA. It's simply impossible!