We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Aaaaand... Brawn's Gone Already.

Immelmann

I liked the green and white too :(

Mercedes GP

Posted by Jamie Hibbard at 2:54 pm on Monday November 16, 2009 104 Comments mercgp.jpg?w=300&h=143It seems the rumour-mongering was true: German manufacturer Mercedes has just announced that it has bought a controlling stake in the Brawn GP squad.

Which means that, from next year, Brawn GP becomes Mercedes GP.

Merc and an Abu Dhabi investment company are believed to have bought 75 per cent of the Brawn team, though Ross Brawn is expected to stay on as team principal.

Perhaps strangely, it looks like Merc will not retain incoming World Champion Jenson Button, and will instead employ the services of Nico

Rosberg… and possibly fellow German Nick Heidfeld.

Button, who has been requesting a larger salary from 2010, is expected to partner Lewis Hamilton at McLaren, who themselves be buying back the 40 per cent shareholding from Mercedes by 2011.

Merc will still be supplying McLaren with free engines for the next six years, an arrangement that seems to suit both parties.

Is anyone else a bit sad to have only seen Brawn GP in F1 for one season?

Then again, Ross ‘the Boss’ Brawn has always said it was a waste of advertising potential to have his name on the cars.

But what do you think?

Source

No, now they own only Brawn/Mercedes GP. McLaren want to buy back Merc's share in them, but they will still be using Mercedes engines till 2015. Would be interesting to see an all-Brit vs all-German battle though: Hamilton and Button in McLaren, and Rosberg and Heidfeld in Mercedes... In any case, isn't it really weird for a German team to have their HQ in the UK, seeing as where the Brawn team are now?

So what we have here then is a double fail. McLaren can't seem to build a competitive reliable car so having two of the best drivers isn't going to help. Mercedes is walking into a working formula and messing about with it. So we are going to have two decent teams come out of this, but no great team in my eyes.

If I had to choose who I think will do better I'd say McLaren, Mercedes have all the money in the world but that didn't help BMW or Toyota gain success in F1.

No, I think it'll work out great for both teams. McLaren were already a front runner by the end of the 2009 season, and Brawn obviously were, for the entire season. The two teams simply need to not muck up their existing designs, improve on them a little, and they'll both still be front-runners next year

I've heard the same rumor as Mike. I've also heard that Mercedes GP are going to copy the look they used when they raced in F1 in the 1950's (as the Silver Arrows.)

I hope Schuey comes back though. Schuey vs Button will be good. I just hope Nico Rosberg does well, he's a good driver. :)