We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New Audi R10?! :O

Baltoman

Rumormill: 600hp twin-turbo Audi R8 replacement in the works?

by Noah Joseph (RSS feed) on Nov 23rd 2009 at 1:30PM

We've learned to take "scoops" from Auto Express with a grain of salt. But Britain's car tabloid says they have it on good authority that Audi is working on an even more extreme successor to the current range-topping R8 supercar.

Dubbed the R10, the heart of the new four-ringed exotic is listed as a twin-turbo 5.0-liter V10 mounted amidship and pumping out 600 horsepower – through all four wheels, natch. The platform is tipped to be shared with sister company Lamborghini's upcoming replacement for the aging Murcielago, crafted from aluminum and supplemented with carbon fiber.

While such a performance beast would encroach on Lamborghini's territory and, from the sound of it, even approach Bugatti's, the Volkswagen empire has proven particularly adept at packing segments with its own products, so anything's possible. AE says prototypes are already lapping the Nurburgring and could be ready for delivery by 2012.

[source:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/245293/audi_r8s_big_brother_to_power_in.html]

I'll believe this when i see it :S I'd like the supposed "R10" to be a bit more radical though, the R8 is too civilised :P

I agree with the above 2 posts.

I thought the R8 was supposed to be civilised cause otherwise it would be overlapping with the Gallardo/Murcielago.

I also agree with Tim and Diablo.

The Lambo buyer and the Audi buyer are different people. In the business world (I'm guessing) the potential buyer of an Audi R8 is one who wants a fast car when he/she is bored of being chauffeured around in an Audi A8; they want civility and refined power. The Lambo buyer, on the other hand, will probably bought the car because its outrageous - after all, what other defining qualities do Lambos have? Obscene power, sleek and edgy styling, and NOISE all fall under "outrageous." :) Of course, this is just the far edges of the spectrum. In reality, the two kinds of buyers are much more similar.

But why would Audi need a 600-hp supercar? To take another share of Lamborghini's buyers? Sure, it would be awesome to a car guy like me, but in the dreary eyes of men in bland suits and G-Whiz drivers, it would not help the company's image. :(

But if they made it, it would be really cool. :cheeky: :)

-Leadfoot

I really like the R8, there's a couple of them in my village.

I don't think Audi are taking any Lambo customers by making either the R8 or an R10. An Audi customer is very different to a Lambo one imo.

I don't think the R8 is civilised or the current Lambo's outrageous either.

Although the Balboni and SV come close.

Both Audi and Lambo have unique design styles that produce beautiful cars. The Audi's are very round and easy to look, and attract the customer who is (i suppose) a bit unsure/insecure about owning a supercar.

The Lambo's have a much braver design (sadly a bit repressed recently) that requires the customer to be flamboyant and confident.

Despite both R8's being very similar to the Gallardo's, they're all very different cars. I hope it stays that way with the next offering from each company.