We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Saab is dead

Homer_Bart

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see what Spyker are trying. They have been around in this form since 2000 and selling cars globally since (I think) 2004 and so far they have made an operating loss every single financial year since, with no immediate signs to show that changing.

I like Spyker don't get me wrong, my worry is that this could well kill them too. I know they have some very wealthy benefactors (a Russian bank among them iirc) but buying a loss making company when already a loss maker yourself seems foolish. Saab could be turned around with a new car lineup and an entire image overhaul, but that isn't going to come cheap nor easily. Koenigsegg pulled out wisely imo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/26/breaking-gm-reaches-agreement-to-saab-to-spyker/

Saab is sold to Spyker, but their Chairman, a Russian businessman, had to go.(Otherwise GM wouldn't have sold Saab)

I hope they keep some of their ties with GM, sporty-tuned Saab's based off GM's excellent platforms will make Saab a solid brand, competing with Alfa Romeo and possibly Infiniti.

Who knows? Spyker may change the whole "Saab" look. They could make it appeal to many different people. But even before this they must make some money themselves. Saab isn't very big compared to other companies and they've got big troubles up ahead to get back on their feet.

i think, Saab is a good brand, but would any of you, honestly say, you'd have a Saab over, say, a mondeo, or a Volvo even, I'd like to see Saab survive, but i don't think they're that good a brand to get excited/sad about them dying off, they had some nice models, but they were only NICE, not great, what they REALLY needed were some brand boosters, something similar to an S3 for example or something to take the fight to the Germans.

something to excite everyone, like that aeroX was an amazing concept imo.

The only reason they're nice and not good is because of GM's mis-management over the last 20 years. Pre-GM they had a pretty strong following (and still do, for the pre-GM models).

I think the survivability of Saab really hinges on the new 9-5. It needs to be an XF-style success, otherwise Saab really will go under, and probably drag Spyker down with it

You guys who didn't like them can't say that you didn't like the Aero X Concept.

Saab-Aero_X_Concept_2006_photo_01.jpg

It was even better in the metal... *love*

I never did like Saab, that thing looks like a rippoff of an Audi only they managed to make it ugly....Amazing feat if you ask me....Audi's are just pretty....all of them...in some way.:cheeky:

"As part of the agreement, Spyker chairman Vladimir Antonov has agreed to step down, a move reportedly key to GM's interests in keeping its intellectual property sequestered from Russian hands."

Really?

Last time I checked if a company or Country wanted there hands on Intellectual property they have many ways of going about just taking it.

Firing Vladimir was uncalled for there, if they wanted it they will have it one way or another. :-x

Like for instance you can buy a few models of what you want and reverse engineer them like the Chinese have been doing for years:oook: