We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Maybe Partial Solution To Lack of 3D Models

veloceGT

I see we keep running into the problem where we don't have a 3D model to convert for use in TDU even in the short time I've been here. This happens quite a lot and a solution to this would be to take them from a game disc from a console.For example we have the Aston Martin DBS which no PC game currently has; but Project Gotham Racing 4 does have it so we plug the disc into our PC, unload the .rar files and voila.

I'm not sure if this would work but considering the amount of talent there is on the internet, I'm guessing someone would have already done it. There are some hiccups to this however; the contents of the disc might be incomprehensible to all except the developers and the models may be configured differently and unusable for all but original target console.

I appreciate the thought gone into this, but xbox disks (as far as I know) are unreadable on PC drives. As in, the disk will show up as empty, or not show up at all.

If someone managed to get hold of an xbox disk reader (or figure out how to make the contents readable) then I'll sit back and wait for the DBS and Caparo T1 :D

Just no.. Simply no.

Its not like we can put Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in our CD drives and open a magical .rar file with the car models if that was possible I can tell you right now, I would of done it already with Forza Motorsport 3.

Its not that simple. Otherwise it would make game developers pretty stupid to leave very detailed models in some little file. It would all be hardcoded.

Just no.. Simply no.

Its not like we can put Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in our CD drives and open a magical .rar file with the car models if that was possible I can tell you right now, I would of done it already with Forza Motorsport 3.

Its not that simple. Otherwise it would make game developers pretty stupid to leave very detailed models in some little file. It would all be hardcoded.

Abit harsh?

And actually i have a program which allows me to veiw files on a xbox 360 box.....

But of course, anything to do with 'mods' mentioned in it, you know it all right?

The files are there the only hard part would be the coding to use them in Zmodeler.

Next time do research before you shoot down someone's ideas.

Its clear he was only asking if it was possible.

Both you and reaper have turned into self made 'Gods' who thiunk they know everything and if someone was to question it you both jump in with awful comment's.

You convert a car.... Congratualtion's.

/rant

Abit harsh?

And actually i have a program which allows me to veiw files on a xbox 360 box.....

But of course, anything to do with 'mods' mentioned in it, you know it all right?

The files are there the only hard part would be the coding to use them in Zmodeler.

Next time do research before you shoot down someone's ideas.

Its clear he was only asking if it was possible.

Both you and reaper have turned into self made 'Gods' who thiunk they know everything and if someone was to question it you both jump in with awful comment's.

You convert a car.... Congratualtion's.

/rant

Oh, I am friggin' sorry. Did I forget the damn smiley emoticon?

FFS, just because I am a modder and have my say/opinion, everyone thinks I am having a go at them. I'm not! I am simply saying that it's not that simple otherwise Game Developers would be seen as complete 'noobs', not even protecting their own models.

So from now on, just to save everyone, I will just shut the hell up now about any questions... There you go, happy now woody?

Woah, woah, woah. I did not mean to start an arguement so sorry about that.

Anyways; Woody you said something about being able to view the files? I know this maybe a stretch to far to imagine and seeing as really high poly models sell on the net for about $70-$80 dollars a piece Tool might be right. On the bright side I did find some tools that might be of use: http://www.megagames.com/xbox/xbox_utils_disk.shtml

Not to add to the flaming or anything, but - although I think his tone was unnecessarily harsh - Tool is right. It's virtually impossible to convert from an Xbox 360 game to the PC. Hypothetically, if you could somehow run an Xbox 360 emulator and use a 3d-capture tool, you might be able to get the geometry out, but chances are it'd be so messed up and/or way-too-high-poly that it would be pretty much useless for TDU.

That said, it's good people are thinking outside of the box for this kind of thing :D

What about this?

http://www.astonmartin.com/configurator/dbs.asp?td=ER&x=16&y=5

It's a completely 3D model. Anyway we can get something from that?

THAT is awesome! Easily the best configurator of any company. It's a shame there's no AA... :(

In terms of using it - We can't really write to AM and say "Hey, mind if we use the model you paid someone to make in our game modding community for free for a game that's not even supposed to be modded?"

Nice find, though! :thumbsup:

-Leadfoot

;261783']THAT is awesome! Easily the best configurator of any company. It's a shame there's no AA... :(

In terms of using it - We can't really write to AM and say "Hey, mind if we use the model you paid someone to make in our game modding community for free for a game that's not even supposed to be modded?"

Nice find, though! :thumbsup:

-Leadfoot

There is AA you just have to wait for a second for it to set in. I've also found something along these lines with the Ferrari 458 configurator though as I far as I can see that's just a bunch of pictures taken with a bunch of options from different angles

See if I'm right: http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/458-Italia/Pages/458-Italia-cc.aspx?newUrl=1&locale=en_GB&market=_HONG_KONG&swf=configurator#/configure/458italia

As far as the Aston model is concerned; well we're not exactly allowed to 'borrow' the models from other games either; if in any case this is less bad since you aren't paying to use since it's up there for free.

Honestly the modding life of TDU is slowly coming to the end, once the models from shift have all been done then it will be very hard to get high quality models and eventually the modders will move on to other games, or stop, shift models are the only reason TDU is still going.

There will be about a year of no decent modding until TDU2 comes out hopefully in early 2011 or earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

So far all i have seen woody do is insult the respected people of this site ( who do actually know what they are talking about ) and complain a lot. Woody do you actually think that GAMES are the only source for good quality car models?? Personally id say thats the LAST place you should be looking as games have limitations usually regarding poly counts, and how the models are made.

If you want good models of cars look on site dedicated to 3d models, you will find 3d objects in MAX or OBJ format that will easily convert to Zmoddeler format ( and be a lot better qualiry than any Game model you can find..) places like GFXworld house hundreds of models of cars in way better quality than anything like forza or GT5 could ever offer.

The modding life of TDU will only end when people become defeatists like you.

and further more.. USUALLY to be able to do anything with Xbox files you need VERY specific hardware. yes you can VIEW files on xbox/ ps2 disks but you cant do much else with them. i know this from other sites ( places like SCOREHERO which are dedicated to adding custom songs to GH games, but to be able to add custom songs you need to be able to rip the existing ones) and they all say to be able to effectively use files form xbox games you need a specific brand of dvd drive ( similar to the one found in an Xbox360 already)

So it would seem TOOL is actually correct when he says " its not as simple as just popping in an xbox disk and pulling the files from it" as i know from experience that almost never works.

No offense to the awesome work the modders do, but they too could do with looking on 3d model sites rather than just pulling models from games, as they would also have a better quality model to work from ( you can always optimize the models as you go) but its always better to have good quality to start off with rather than trying to make crap look pretty ( not that im saying your work looks crap at all )

You will have to excuse any typos i am the :badspelling:

If you want good models of cars look on site dedicated to 3d models, you will find 3d objects in MAX or OBJ format that will easily convert to Zmoddeler format ( and be a lot better qualiry than any Game model you can find..) places like GFXworld house hundreds of models of cars in way better quality than anything like forza or GT5 could ever offer.

Just to comment on this. Whenever I've got a model like this, you have to export it from .max to 3DS for it to be imported into ZModeler. The majority of the 3DS models I've imported into ZModeler come out in lots of tiny boxes and just stuff all over the place that doesn't remotely look like a car.

I may be doing something wrong though (most likely) :p