We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

1999 Peugeot 306 'D Turbo' HDI.

GTAMADDOG

• 2 weeks later...

Compare and contrast?

I have the older engine, the 1.9 TD, but god does it pull once it gets going! Love it!

Have you had any problems with your heater fan? Mine wasn't working when I bought it. I simply twiddled a multi-pin connector beside the fusebox, shoved it together with my thumb and forefinger, and the fan came to life! :lol:

This was after checking every single one of all the 30 fuses in it...

Maybe once I have my next paycheque I'll check e-bay for some peugeot alloys. My mate has some 205 GTi alloys on his 405, they look gooood.

Oooh, also, is that a boost gauge built into your tachometer? If so, daaaaaamn.

Compare and contrast?

I have the older engine, the 1.9 TD, but god does it pull once it gets going! Love it!

Have you had any problems with your heater fan? Mine wasn't working when I bought it. I simply twiddled a multi-pin connector beside the fusebox, shoved it together with my thumb and forefinger, and the fan came to life! :lol:

This was after checking every single one of all the 30 fuses in it...

Maybe once I have my next paycheque I'll check e-bay for some peugeot alloys. My mate has some 205 GTi alloys on his 405, they look gooood.

Oooh, also, is that a boost gauge built into your tachometer? If so, daaaaaamn.

Ha ha, yeh. I've seen your thread already but didn't realise you had posted in mine. Welcome to the 306 club :)

My heater fan has been fine. I need to sort out my Air Conditioning, though. I don't know if it's a fuse, or if it needs re-gassing or God forbid if it's the usual 306 case of the pipes corroding. I'm not too bothered, I prefer to have the windows down any day.

Turns out my cigarette lighter didn't work although it didn't look like it had ever been used, sorted that by putting a new fuse in. I don't smoke but I needed it working to keep my Sat Nav charged on a trip to Milton Keynes the other week. I also need to sort out my passenger side airbag, the plug isn't inserted properly and I get the Air Bag light flashing at me every time I drive the car, common problem which is easily solved.

Alloys transform any car. Although I'm one of those people who prefer to use manufacturer wheels as opposed to after-market ones out of Halfrauds. If they are the 205 GTI alloys I'm thinking of then they'll look pretty smart and OEM on your car.

Nah, it's not a boost gauge which I was disappointed about. It turns out it's an oil level gauge. It checks the amount of oil every time you start the car and then returns to 0 after ten seconds. Although everyone advises new owners not to trust it because it's French electronics and for owners to check the oil level the old way by using the Dip Stick.

I definitely can't complain about minor issues considering the price paid was £600 less than other extremely similar 306s. I'm sad and I still check eBay/Auto-Trader/Piston Heads today to see if any like mine have come up at the same price and there haven't been any.

I was originally looking at the 1.9TDs but after a couple of insurance quotes the HDI worked out cheaper for me to insure.

Try Pug306.net if you would like some forums to use and ask for help on problems with the car if you need it or if you just want to find out things about it. I'm signed up to it under this name although I haven't posted anything since my Introduction thread.

• 1 year later...

Might as well start off by apologising for bumping a 1+ year old thread. Reason being it is my thread and it was partly a project thread, but I'm so useless at getting things done it's taken me all this time to get my rear end in gear.

Friday, I was sat at work bored out of my mind like I usually am at work these days, thinking about things that need doing on the car and I thought "I keep going on about getting new tyres, but I've got a spare set of wheels and tyres in the garage, so I could probably do something with those". So I decided that when I got home I'd have a look at the spare set and see what I could do with them. Turned out one had a decent tyre (tread wise, brand wise not so much, but it's a GT Radial, so not exactly a ditch-finder), but the wheel was a bit scabby. Now I've always wanted to have a go at refurbishing a wheel or two so I thought I'd start on this one and if it turns out well enough I'd swap the refurbished wheel with one of the more worn out tyres/wheels on the car already.

So luckily my dad still had some wet/dry sand paper left over from his good old days of restoring a Mini 1275 GT which he sadly never got the time to finish and sold on. Got what I needed out of that, cleaned the wheel I wanted to work on, and went about making a hash of things as I always do. There's a picture or two of the wheel in question in my post (#23) on this page with the new wheels, it's the last couple of photographs. Almost looks like it's rusted or been worked down to bare metal or something.

Here's some pictures, already filled in the worst part seen in the last picture. I don't think I'm anywhere near done with the sanding down and I haven't got any primer, alloy wheel paint or laquer yet so this could take a while :p

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x104/GTAMADDOG/IMG_0051.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x104/GTAMADDOG/IMG_0053.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x104/GTAMADDOG/IMG_0054.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x104/GTAMADDOG/IMG_0056.jpg

I think someone had a go at filling in some parts of the wheel before, I thought it was just bubbling paint but it looks like there was filler under the paint which someone hadn't bothered to flatten back. I'll probably take a lot of it back to bare metal because a lot of it is crap. The pictures seem to make it look worse than it does in real life, probably my phone camera.

Bare in mind this is the first time I've ever done this and it's no-where near ready for any primer, but I'm hoping it'll turn out alright. Just need to make sure I buy the right colour alloy wheel paint otherwise things could look stupid once the wheel is on the car :p

List of other crap to do:

• Source Half Leather Seats.
  • Front bumper needs to be re-aligned. A patch on it just to the side of the number plate also needs another coat of paint after my dad had a go at doing it, turned out he got a slightly different colour.
  • Doors I bought last year need to be put on after I get new electric window regulators for them.
  • Dent in the passenger side rear quarter panel doesn't look to be repairable but I'll probably just sort out the massive scratch.
  • The auxillary belt and tensioner need replacing. The belt looks pretty worn out and the tensioner is seized up.
  • The rear bumper doesn't line up correctly with either rear quarter panel, needs a couple of clips I think.
  • A couple of the wheel arch liners need adjusting.
  • Passenger side mirror cap has a crack in it and needs replacing.
  • Plastic strip under the drivers side headlight needs replacing as it has a broken clip.
  • Might also find out what's stopping my air conditioning from working but if it's the condenser I'm not bothering with it.
  • Exhaust needs sorting out, possibly twisted at a join somewhere as it rattles against the rear bumper.
  • Door rubstrips down the side need some new clips. Each one is only held on by a few and there are gaps between the door and the strips in some places

Can't see a lot of it being done any time soon but I can always look back to this list and see what I think needs doing.

Nice car. I always liked this car. The only problem I have with it is the noise: It`s loud and rubbish.

BTW, what`s the small needle in the rev counter for?

Shows the oil level. I wouldn't trust it though, because it's French electronics. I resort to using the trusty dip-stick.

As for the noise it makes, I agree somewhat, but I'm boring and I like surfing on a wave of diesel torque rather than revving the nuts off a petrol to go anywhere :p

Shows the oil level. I wouldn't trust it though, because it's French electronics. I resort to using the trusty dip-stick.

As for the noise it makes, I agree somewhat, but I'm boring and I like surfing on a wave of diesel torque rather than revving the nuts off a petrol to go anywhere :p

I just said that about the noise because its much louder than what im used to in my car, a Renault Scenic 1.9 dCi.

But revving the nuts off a petrol is fun. :p Well, until you have to fill up soon after.

And good luck with the wheels!