We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Oveclocking help?

EW

Right so been trying my hand at over clocking once again and heres what i came up with...

(on stock cooler)

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual

CPU Ratio Setting - Auto

Intel ® SpeedStep Tech - Enabled

Intel ® Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled

BCLK Frequency - 160

PCIE Fequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1282MHz

DRAM CAS# Latency - 8 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# PRE Time - 8 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24 DRAM Clock

CPU Voltage 1.10000v

CPU PLL Voltage - Auto

QPI/DRAM Voltage - Auto

IOH Voltage - Auto

IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto

ICH Voltage - Auto

ICH Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66v

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

Load-Line Calibration - Enabled

CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto

CPU Clock Skew - Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto

IOH Clock Skew - Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto

So any ideas or comment to go faster?

atm im at 3.3ghz and i have the settings for 3.8 just a bit scared to test them out... ive heard alot about the i7 being very hot and with a stock cooler its advised not to go above 3.6...

anyone have 3.6 settings? :p

No idea how to help you mate but using red and blue on the same page like that bloody hurts your eyes. It's actually creating a 3D effect. :eek:

Focus on the red and the red appears like it's coming out the page at you and that you can put your hand behind it because it's coming off the page. Then if you focus on the blue, it takes a while to actually read it and it appears like it's becoming lighter in colour.

I know that wasn't your intentions in this topic, but you have certainly created a really cool illusion. ;)

No idea how to help you mate but using red and blue on the same page like that bloody hurts your eyes. It's actually creating a 3D effect. :eek:

Notted and changed :p

also:

Computer on 100% load does not exceed 70 degrees

• 2 months later...

You probably want to join an Overclockers forum to ask about this. I've considered doing this once or twice but I never seem to have the time for it. The most I've ever done is force up the fan speed on my old graphics card, which died two months ago... (I've got a GTX 480 now, so it's all good). I don't really need to o/c anything I guess.

I wasnt overclocking because i couldn't run anything, I was testing the boundres of my new processor on a stock cooler if you look at the specs you'll see theres nothing on the market i cant run

I was running 3.6GHz on a stock Intel cooler at one point. Although, that was on an E8400, temperatures were fine, stability was not - just my luck. I gave up with it in the end and clocked the CPU back down to 3GHz.

As suggested, if you go on somewhere like the Overclockers.co.uk forums and go into their Overclocking section you will more than likely find someone with a very similar setup to yours wanting to do the same thing so you wont even have to sign up.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he has the i7 920. So the stock is 2.66Ghz.

A .5Ghz overclock isn't bad but try reaching a full 1Ghz like me. Or maybe not if you don't know what you're doing. :p

I don't run my CPU overclocked unless I need the extra speed and don't mind turning my fans up.

I think he has the i7 920. So the stock is 2.66Ghz.

A .5Ghz overclock isn't bad but try reaching a full 1Ghz like me. Or maybe not if you don't know what you're doing. :p

I don't run my CPU overclocked unless I need the extra speed and don't mind turning my fans up.

tbh mine doesnt need overclocking in the slightest and these days im on 2.8GHz people dont seem to understand the arctitechure is different to some pentium 4 at 4GHz is really nothing compared to an i7 at 2.8GHz.

Ill probly overclock when i need to buy a second GFx card. So a year or two from now xD

Edit: I lol at the "Or maybe not if you don't know what you're doing. :p"

I said that because I'm used to people thinking they know how to do it and then they try it and break something in their computer and moan about it like it's not their fault.

And I'm the same, mine is 3.2 at stock but at the moment it's underclocked to keep it around 20C and lower the power usage.

Every computer will handle overclocking differently, even if they have the exact same components inside them.

I said that because I'm used to people thinking they know how to do it and then they try it and break something in their computer and moan about it like it's not their fault.

And I'm the same, mine is 3.2 at stock but at the moment it's underclocked to keep it around 20C and lower the power usage.

Every computer will handle overclocking differently, even if they have the exact same components inside them.

Aye now that processesors have changed a big deal its not to do with big numbers 5ghz etc

its the power you can get from it. If i really wanted to i could buy a new water cooler and have mine at 5ghz but I'd gain nothing, use more power and raise the temps which reduces the life span.

Power is not the key, its how the system uses it resorces efficently.

yeh the new intel i processors are a new type of beast, mine's the 1.6-2.8 i7 and i'm still getting used to seeing 8 processor usage bars when i look in taskmanager.

I bought mine at the start of december '09 and went to a computer store today only to find my machine in the medium level bracket(similar price though!)