We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What makes a Supercar for you.....

calster17

It's nice seeing what everyones view of a 'Supercar', all diffrent but the same!

A few people saying how a GT can't be classed as a supercar, thats a good point, but i think it does...depending on what car it is!

For example, Evo magazine(I'm a huge fan,and agree with alog of what they say, and as Diablo said, they know there stuff! Although i let my subsription run out!). They class the DBS and V12 Vantage as Supercars, but the DB9 as a Coupe/GT. The same for the 599 GTB, which is there choice of Supercar! They also Class the Honda NSX and NSX-R(the 2002 edtions) Supercars, and the 911 GT and Turbo range.

-V10 or above

-Impartical

-Expensive

-breaks done every 15 seconds (which never made sence to me because they cost a gazillon dollar you'd think you would get some realablity out of the damn thing but nooooo)

-Goes at least 195MPH

-Is worth putting in the What you saw recently thread.

-Absolutely goregous.

To begin, I usually classify this stuff into four segments, with the notion that cars may drop down with age. For instance, I would have considered the NSX a supercar or perhaps exotic when it was FIRST released...now it's just a sports car... The hierarchy I use is:

Sports Coupes (3-series, Supra,RSX, NSX, Skyline, Mustang, Camaro, Evora, Corvette etc) - These cars are usually mass produced, with some exceptions, and appeal to the younger crowd most of the time. Pricing can vary with the top of the line version being expensive and the lower end being more affordable. They can usually also be modified due to the amount of aftermarket parts. 2-door coupes or convertibles with any potential drivetrains. Potentially the largest segment around. They can be both luxury (CLK, M3) or standard (Camaro, Supra).

Sports Sedans (M3, C63, E63, M5, RS6, ISF, Charger SRT-8 etc). These vehicles are similar to the above but are in 4 door form. I separated them on purpose as the notion of a sports car is usually associated with 2 doors, but now a days this is not the case.

Supercars (Viper, Corvette Z06/ZR1, LF-A, GT-R, Gallardo, F430, SLR, 599GTB, Bullit/Rocket, Flying Spur, Continental GT, Phantom etc) - This is where things get confusing. Personally a supercar, to me, needs to be able to perform decently on the road and on the track. They bring in a level of status that usually is not seen, and although they may not be rare, they do not need to be. Simply put: They are built for the purpose to be fast and in some cases comfortable. They may be mid-engined or GT cruisers, and in some cases, extreme sedans, but they all have the same thing in common; They're built to outperform the rest. They're built to represent excess. Top speeds usually reside around 190mph (300kph). Price does not matter, but usually are pricey. This is probably where the most purchases happen in terms of buying cars from those that are wealthy. Cars that have fallen from Super to Sports: NSX, 348, 360 etc

Exotic Cars (Murcielago, Enzo, Carrera GT, Ford GT, EB110, Diablo, S7, F40, F50, XJ220, Miura SV etc). This list is a little more exclusive to get into. These cars represent the prime of example of the engineering and development during their respective times of their production run. Although they may have been produced for years, there are not that many running around. These vehicles differ from their mass sales counterparts as the brands trademarks and newest technology are showcased in these vehicles. These vehicles, despite their age, can usually compete with the Supercar class, despite their inferior technology and many are considered to be legends of their respective times. Most of these cars today are still demanding premiums higher than the most expensive Supercar. Although some depreciate, others appreciate over time.

This class is also the only one where looking at it is important. These cars, like many in the Supercar class, are low slung, mid-engined and rear-wheel drive. You may not recognize the vehicle itself, but when one of these come beside you, you know it is something special. It does not blend in anywhere, even when grouped with their equivalents, they each command the spot light. Road poise? Check. Menacing stance? Check. Powerful and agile? Check. Expensive? Usually. Heritage? Check.

Many of these cars have brought a new level of refinement and history to the company that they were brought in on, whether a new company or an existing one, when you talk about the company, you talk about these cars. These cars will never fall into being just supercars, as being in this category engraves you into the history books. (Whether you want to believe it or not, the Murcielago and S7 will certainly not be forgotten). They are usually fitted with V10's and V12's. Currently there is no Japanese vehicle in this segment, with only one or two coming close. Many of these cars have, however, fallen from Hypercar status to this one due to age (F40, XJ220, Miura SV etc).

Hypercars (Veyron 16/4. Zonda, F1, CCX, Agera, SSC Aero, Apollo, MT9000s etc). These vehicles represent the cream of the crop. If you thought your exotic or supercar was fast, you were wrong. These vehicles represent one thing and one thing alone: Passion. You don't control this car, it controls you. These vehicles were made to make Newton's head spin and to be the king of the hill. Many of these cars command prices well above the half a million mark, with a few going over the one million dollar mark. Heritage? It starts here. These vehicles also boast power and torque that was considered to be beyond measure only a little while ago. This class is also specialized, although trying to combine handling and speed, many of these cars may be geared for pure speed where as others try to be pure track experts and the rest try to make the best of both worlds. Legends in their own respective way and currently are living in the limelight of being some of the worlds most notorious and dangerous vehicles. What's under the hood? The biggest thing that can fit. Eventually all of these cars will fall into the exotic car class where their names will be remembered throughout history, despite how they look. They're just that good.

Collector Cars (Reventon, One-77, Reventon Roadster, Veyron Clubsport etc) - These cars are just absurd. They don't really fit anywhere, but the only reason they are here is because they are able to perform decently, are unbelievably expensive and rare. The prime example of status and wallet size. Why are they worth mentioning? Because they are just that absurd.

It's rough, but I think that makes sense, it's also pretty long but whatever...either way that's how I see it. There are always exceptions....I know this was for "supercar" but it's hard to describe without explaining the rest.

Sports Coupes

Sports Sedans

Supercars

Exotic Cars

Hypercars Collector Cars

It's rough, but I think that makes sense, it's also pretty long but whatever...either way that's how I see it. There are always exceptions....I know this was for "supercar" but it's hard to describe without explaining the rest.

Thats one of the best ways to describe them!:) But as tom said, Classic's are also a set class, but it'sa bit diffrent....

People think a Classic as Dino, Miura, Original 911, E-type and MG's....but it's getting a bit weirder now, as for example the Original MR2 is now classed as a classic!(I know, i own one) Yet It doen't really fit in with what people would class as one!(Somthing from the 50's to about 1975) The AW11 MR is a typical 80's Styled sports car...Weged shaped! But it's not a 'classic' looking car Although it is 'old'! If that makes any sense!

And now that cars are lasting longer than they used to, and more mass produced, the whole thing is going to get weirder! As there are hardly any BMW 3.0 CLS's, but in 30 year's time there will be lots of E43 & E92 M3's kicking about! But it's alog due to times changing...cars like this are easyer to get!

Maybe we should open a new thread based on the diffrent classes of cars?