We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Heavy graphic problem - any idea?

VanquishHH

Hi.

My computer has a GeForce 8500GT graphic card, which never made any problems since I have the machine (2,5yrs).

Last night I was playing since about 30 minutes and just wanted to adjust the seat position in the new Audi RS6.

Suddenly the monitor got completely colored...there were really all colors, it was weird.

The machine didn´t respond, so I used the reboot button.

But then, I couldn´t start the computer in normal windows mode anymore. I had to start in the "safe mode".

There was only the 800x600 mode. I could see the NVIDIA icon on the lower right side of my monitor. But when I used the "system control" there was no graphic card.

After all, I got the computer running this morning after testing a little bit with the monitor- and graphic card settings. To be honest, I am not sure how I made it run again, but I don´t trust this system.

Does anyone know what happened? I am thankful for any idea...:confused:

cheers

Thank you guys!!

I thought about overheating, too. It was really hot here last night. I bought a ventilator today. Would it be helpful if the ventilator would cool the computer?

I tried to run the game today and it was okay. (tested only for few minutes)

Did it only overheat because of the room temperature, or are there other possibilities? Is there any program that shows the graphic card temperature?

Sorry, total noob at that point.

It's most likely the room temperature + too much stress on the card that made it overheat. Ventilator would be useful if it could cool either the PC and/or the room. I have a small fan pointing inside my PC through an air vent as it's ~30°C in here right now. x_x

For the GFX Temp, try GPU-Z which is a very handy little tool. It also shows a lot of other info about your card. ;)

VanquishHH:

Is it okay? A few hours ago it was 69°C
That depends, did you just exit a game or is that you idle temperature ?

Also is it CPU or GPU ?

If that's the idle temperature of you CPU, then you have a problem.

If it's the GPU you should be ok.

If you just exited a game, then you don't have a heat problem at all.

For reference: Right now, my CPU idle is between 49°C and 57°C (man, those cores must be further apart than I thought). :D

My GPU is at 77°C , since it stubbornly refuses my order to speed up the fan and just falls back to auto mode (50% fan speed) at temperature below 80°C.