We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Noisy PC!

Beav

Hello!

I brought a PC bundle from Novatech.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prod ... 654G2.html

It didnt come with a GPU but I put a previous 9800GT into it. However it makes ALOT of noise. I think it is the PSU, I know its a 700W one but im thinking they put a budget one in it so im looking for a quieter PSU. Im aware it could be my CPU fan aswell. :/

Can anyone tell if it could be the CPU fan from the pictures?

Looks like a standard AMD CPU Heatsink/fan so it shouldn't make that much noise, from my personal experiences anyway. Unless it's faulty.

What sort of noise is it exactly? Just the sound of a loud fan? If not it could be a bit of cabling just catching on one of the fans if it sounds slightly rattley.

The computer itself looks like a nice little buy. All I'd probably do is swap my case, PSU and put my HD 5850 in it and I'd be sorted.

Grrr, just wrote this message and it deleted itself. (Here we go again)

Its just a loud fan noise matey not a knocking sound so its not the cables and I have checked them as I cleaned the pc to make sure there was no dust.

I went into Maplin today and found a nice case for £40. It had a clear side and a huge fan on the front, it looked pretty sweet.

I will look for a new PSU, any recomendations? The current one I have is 700W but obviously very loud. For my pc spec would a 550W/600W be enough? To be honest I don't want to go over £50.

~Thanks

It won't be the CPU fan, the stock ones are usually slow and quiet unless you have turned AMD cool 'n quiet off on the BIOS. Check the BIOS to make sure it's on and then see if the computer sounds quiet.

If not, turn one of the case fans off by turning the computer off and unplugging a fan. Turn the computer on to see if it's any quieter. Do this for each fan and if it's still noisy then it will be the PSU. If you're going to get a new one, make sure it's a well known brand and not a budget one.

You also won't need anything near a 700W PSU for a 9800GT and Phenom II 965. 500-600W should do the trick if it's a good brand.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the PSU. I bought a used 700ish watt PSU and it made a really loud sound. The annoying thing was, you can't tell whether it's the PSU or some other fan on the computer since all fans make that same sound! I only figured out it was the PSU when it failed on me. As Mellors says, it most probably isn't the CPU fan, it's either one of the case fans, the graphics card fan, or the PSU. Test each fan and see if any one of them is the culprit. If you have another graphics card lying around, plug it in and see if it's your graphics card that's causing the problem. If it isn't either the graphics card or the case fans, it's definatly the PSU.

When buying a PSU, make sure you get a good one. Antec, Coolermaster, Enermax, Thermaltake, Zalman, OZC, and Corsair are good brands. I've had PSU problems in the past, and let me tell you, getting a cheap one isn't worth the time and money. Within a few months, the cheap PSU will go bad, and you'll have to either deal with RMA'ing or just buying a new, reliable PSU. Don't make the same mistake I did. Do it right the first time and buy a good PSU.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204353

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/141007

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190751

Something like one of those. You could probably get a better deal somewhere else. Just make sure it is the PSU fan before you commit yourself to buying anything first. Also make sure 500W is enough power which it should be.

If I'm honest my 700W PSU is just a cheapish one off Ebuyer which iirc was made by someone I've never heard of and it's been completely fine, might just be luck of the draw but I really don't care. It's quiet, provides more than enough power and was the price of a well-known branded 400W PSU.

I have the same graphics card and it gets extremely hot over a few minutes of run time. It's like a stove, once you touch it your nerves make you immediately get your hand off it. Good for the winter! :cheeky:

And as for the noise issue, it could be the PSU or one of the case fans and you should try testing them out like Mellors said.

The simplest way to find out is to take the case off while the PC is running and carefully stick your ear near each fan to find out which is the loudest.

There are plenty of reviews for Power Supplies and other hardware, which gives you an idea of what to look out for (more than just the wattage) - http://www.3dgameman.com/

By the time I turn my PC off at night to go to bed I end up with mild tinitus due to the loud case fans and what not. Ditching the 9800GX2 GPU made a definite improvement though. I think my next build will be watercooled.