We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PC security program issue!!!

TDUFREAK500

can someone please help me I need to get rid of a security program because I downloaded it to use then found out it was a trial and it wouldn't get rid of viruses then my mum renewed her subscription to norton and now I cant get rid of the other program It doesn't show up on the uninstall program list and when i found the folder it looked a lot lighter than the other folders and when I try to delete it it asks for admin permission so i give it that but it still wont delete and it opens of its own accord It is a real pain in the butt can someone please tell me how to get rid of it

Leme guess - it's a rouge antivirus app that says you have 118 viruses and trojans to remove, and won't touch them until you send them $50. When you do, it'll reduce the list to 0, simply because the viruses were never on your PC to begin with. It then takes over your computer and doesn't let you uninstall it and slows things right down. And it's probably called something generic like XP AntiVirus 2010.

How to get rid of it.

Install and run a full scan using this software:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The trial version of this has always removed these fake antivirus apps for me (on other people's PCs).

I had something like that late last year. Extremely annoying!! Do what Ryzza said as it will most likely work. Otherwise I guess you could try system restore if the program is quite new on your computer. That should kill it.

I remember the stupid one I had. It was called XP anti virus 2009 and it disabled all my internet, tried to get into mcafee which had all my account and bank info (thank god it didn't) and it made everything painfully slow. 10 minute start ups were all I could get. I had to re format the entire Hard Drive and obviously reinstall PC. But hopefully yours won't get to that stage. haha.

I don't really see what people get out of making huge Rogue viruses and Malware. Unless of course people are actually gullible to pay them $80 to buy a full version of a program that takes over your PC because you suddenly have 100 or so non-existent viruses. Hmm, I guess they must get bored.

just tried it and it didnt work it scanned it then it said it had to reboot to delete a log file when I restarted it was back again it must be extremely smart I am going to try it one more time then I will try system restore

at least norton is blocking the malware files

Yeah, because MalwareBytes is so publicised for removing those fake programs, they've tried to block it a number of times. How did it get on your computer in the first place if you are running Norton? :cheeky:

Last time it tried to get on my PC through someone's USB stick, but my IS suite blocked it. Even better, it's also free - http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis

I stopped using it when I first installed Windows 7 Beta nearly 2 years ago since they didn't have a Win7 version. I'm currently using MS Security Essentials, since that also works very well, and you rarely hear from it. It's much better than Norton or McAffee for protecting your computer (~90% of IT professionals also don't like those two products).

I'll second that Ryzza. They are both invasive protection, clog your PC up running programs and addons you dont really need.

MS security essentials I've heard good things about.

I use our corporate symantec AV and spybot, I know the Symantec and norton are the same company but the corporate version just does the job with no frills, don't know why they don't market it under the norton brand as a basic AV though.

nothing is getting rid of it I have run the antimalware twice and system restore twice and both are not working on this thing, it is really smart I think it is now trying to leak trojans into the computer because norton is showing up a couple of trojans

EDIT: Looks like it has been fixed for now but I will let you know if it comes back