We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New DSLR Camera Shopping

T0M722

Hey guys. Prepare for a long story :D

Recently I have been wanting a DSLR real bad. Everyone who contributes to the photography section has inspired me to look into getting a new camera and to take better photos. I'm really excited! I first started looking at the 1000D. This was ballpark how much I could spend on a camera at the time (few months ago). It seemed amazing for me at the time but as time went on it seemed it was getting outdated and crappier compared to the other line ups in Canon's range.

So, I shifted my attention to a higher ranked section of Canon's range. I started to look at the 2009 500D and the (possibly) the 2010 550D. These camera seemed much more like what I wanted with full HD recording and heaps of cool features. Basically I wanted to take photos of cars (obviously), scenic views, and just mostly the stuff that people here take pictures of. It's pretty difficult for me because none of my friends are into photography so I couldn't get any info off them, and my family aren't into photography either. So all my info has to come from the internet. I was looking at the 500D as a potential camera and I've asked my parents for Christmas and they said that they can probably get me something like that. I have been looking at ebay and all that where it's much cheaper so I just wanted to say ebay is not out of the picture.

Last night I was talking to Mark (TDU 505) and he helped me immensely to learn about what I need and want from a first time DSLR buyer. But he opened even more options for me. He said that a 40D (2007) was as good, if not better than a 500D or 550D. And I said that it was probably a little old. But after that I started looking at 50D's. The 50D is much better made than the Canon mid-range model cameras due to it being built from a magnesium alloy instead of plastic. The 50D is from late 2008 and supposedly is a much better camera without video recording. This is my dilemma. There are potentially at least 4 models of cameras that I could own. All have different specs and price ranges. Here's a detailed explanation of prices:

500D with 18-55mm IS lens = Definitely affordable $700-$800AUD

550D with 18-55 IS lens = Possibly (havent asked parents if I can go another $200AUD yet)

50D Body ($900AUD) + Lens 18-55 lens ($100)= About $1000 if I personally buy the lens

Keep in mind that the 50D might be a little expensive. I'm not really sure what I'm asking here but I need a little bit of guidance. Is it worth me getting a prosumer (50D) camera as a first camera so it can last me a while? And how good is the 550D compared to the 500D? I appreciate any replies, just post your ideas and thought about what I should do.

Thanks in advance for the help. :D

Was recently in a similar position. I would reccomend going into a shop and trying out the cameras, it's really helpful to try these things out in person. I ended up going for a Canon 60D as it felt a bit more solid and more comfortable for me to hold with its larger size. One of my friends chose a 550D though because it felt more comfortable for him. It's really a matter of personal choice.

You sound like you are interested in the video feature though, so I'd probably recommend either the 500D or 550D.;)

Good luck with the purchase, and happy snapping!:)

Wellllll. At first, sorry for my english ;)

I personally own the 500D. That was the best choice for my beginning with the DSLRs. I bought the kit with the 18-200 EFS-IS Lens, which was also the best choice, because the you wont be happy for long with the standard kit lens. A friend of mine bought himself the 550D 2 Month ago, and we've had a phototrip yesterday, so i had the chance to try the 550D.

I must say, that photo-wise the cameras have no difference, which is noticeable.

If you want to do mooooore video things, the 550D is the one for you. But if you dont do so many videos i would definitely recommend you the 500D.

The 50D is something, you dont need for starting, believe me. At the "start" i had many problems to handle the DSLR, because I never had one in my hands before, so I think you would be even more overstrained with the 50D...so with that said and with the look at the price of the 50D I would really recommend you not to buy "Her".

Buy the 500D or the 550D, but as Lambo Llama already said, go to a shop and compare these two for your own.

(Its hard for me to express my thoughts in english in this topic, so if you didn't understood anything just ask me and I will try to explain it again ;) )

I know you have your choices but why not go for a used 400D or 450D or even a 40D?

I don't know what the prices are over there but I am sure you could possibly get a used one for a bit cheaper and get a better lens instead of the 18-55. Just my opinion though. You could also get a used 40D, like the one I have, for maybe the same price as the 500D or 550D instead of going all the way for a 50D as the 40D is not much different from the 50D. Sure it's a little different in terms of a few features and the MP but if you aren't bothered about that then it's a good option. Up to you though, I always think glass before body. So basically as I already have a 40D, I will not be upgrading anytime soon on the body but will instead upgrade the lens. Hope this was of some help for you. ;)

P.S - Oh and I agree with what Mark said about the 40D, it's probably better than both the 500D or 550D apart from the video recording thing, it's a great all round camera and many people still buy them over the 50D.

Canon, Nikon and the other others push out new DSLR's every 12-18 months and tbh in terms of photography they don't change a great deal. You usually just pay for a few more MP or a host of features that you really won't have that much of a use for out in the field.

Refurbished or 2nd hand cameras represent very good value in the expensive world of DSLR's. The general guidance here seems sound, I can't comment on the Canon range as I haven't personally used them to any great extent.

All I can say is don't let yourself hand over more money than you have to just because the spec list is huge.

Up to you though, I always think glass before body. So basically as I already have a 40D, I will not be upgrading anytime soon on the body but will instead upgrade the lens. Hope this was of some help for you. ;)

This is what I keep reading, I'm not sure how true it is but the photographers on OCUK seem to swear by it. 40D and good lens or two, not an expensive camera and a rubbish lens. I'd probably do the same to be honest, as long as I didn't want video recording from it which I personally wouldn't at the moment because of my FZ38, then again a DSLR is pointless full stop for me really. But obviously different people have different needs.

Both are of importance but the glass you use makes a big difference. This is why I've always stuck to buying Nikkor lenses for my Nikons, they do cost more than third party glass in the same quality bracket but the results are worth it. I think though we may be going off on a slight tangent given he's buying his very first DSLR and the 18-55 kit lens will suffice in the beginning.

This is all making sense so far. I've liked looking at the the xxD range but what i'm thinking is since the 40D is late 2007, I want it to last me quite a while. So that's why it's probably got to be the 50D if anything in that prosumer range. I want to start with something that is really good and lasts me a while and then i can make my way up with bodies (lenses) etc.

Thanks EyeKatcher, It's good to hear that there's not a lot of difference between the 550D and the 500D. And another good thing about the xxD series Queen is the magnesium alloy body instead of plastic. It'd give me peace of mind of owning something that's not crappy but... better than plastic? Lol.

Well, I have a 450d which must be cheaper than all of these now and is serving me very well as my first DSLR and seems like it will carry on doing that. As others have said, i'd much rather have a 450d and my 18-200 lens rather than a 50D and just an 18-55. So personally i'd just go for the cheapest but still decent camera and buy a couple of lenses.

How long ago did you get the 450D? Are you looking to upgrade bodies/lenses anytime soon?

I got it last November and have taken 25,000 photos on it since then, I had the 18-55 and the 55-250 untill a couple of months ago when I thought i'd upgrade so I didn't have to keep changing lenses so bought myself an 18-200, I could have sold my 450d and got a much more expensive camera instead of the lens but the lens was definitely the best choice as it has been amazing!

Personally i'm not looking at upgrading anytime soon, mainly due to the cost but there's absolutely no need to, this camera will probably last me another fews years unless i break it.:lol: And I can just keep adding little bits to it. Such as news lenses and flashes. Oh and I feel no need for anymore lenses right now, but this may change. :D

Yea but don't get too carried away, I have a 10-24 wide angle which I paid an obscene amount of money for considering it's practical usage. I think I've used it... 4 times and uploaded one photo taken with it.

That's because you're silly xP. It is cool though just fairly pointless, untill epic combos next summer :D

Don't buy that crappy kit lens, choose any of the older EOS cameras with the Tamron 17-50. I have bought the 550d with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens. I have compared the pics I've made with my camera to those made with the 450d using the same lens and haven't noticed any difference, they're awesome as well...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this thread but I'm torn! I can either get the 500D with the 18-55mm lens or the 550D with the 18-55mm lens. I can afford both but is it really worth paying an extra $150AU for a camera that isn't all that much better? The only thing I'm thinking is it's newer than the 500D and therefore could last me longer. Video still isn't very important. I could get the 500D and have the extra cash or go all out and get the better body. It's almost Christmas and I've got the money ready. Just wondering what to throw it at.

Need some guidance please :)

see of the AF speed and LCD clarity are to your liking.

also look at how easy it is to change settings:

I use a 40D which has a secondary display near the shutter button, makes it easier to change settings quickly, compared to the xxxD models, where you've to change through the main display.

My advice still: If viedomaking isn't important to you, than go for the 500D, clearly. Most of the improvements the 550D has, are for the video-mode like setting ISO in the Video manually and so on...and the buttons are different, but if you don't use the videomaking feature so much, why invest 150 bucks into new-shaped buttons?^^

PLLEEEASE buy the 500D, you won't be happy if you're going for the 550D because, I promise you soon enough you're desiring a Zoom-lens with 200mm+, because the kit-lens isn't that great...or maybe a macro lens? IMO =)

kkthxbai

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a bump but what did you end up getting after, if anything?

I've been looking at the 500D myself over the last couple of days after forgetting about this thread. Difference is I'll be using it for video as much as photography because carrying two cameras around and switching between the two for different uses is a pain in the arse, especially when you're on top of a freezing military range in Wales with numb hands, etc.

Can't afford a 550D and that's the end of it :p

There was a 500D on eBay earlier which came with a Canon 50mm lens instead of the 18-55mm kit lens which I was quite interested in, maybe I should've gone for it. It was in budget too :/

I ended up with the 550D. I feel like a right arse by disregarding EyeKatcher's pleas but the 550D was in my budget and it's what I wanted.

GTAMADDOG, I too think that the 50mm lens will be a pain. You need a good all rounder lens for starting off (18-55mm). Maybe you can buy the body cheaper and then buy the lens on it's own? They're only like $100 and less AUD (not sure in pounds) but that's cheaaapp! I could help you look for something as I've spent the last 3months looking for bargain deals on eBay for cameras. Some online stores are exceptionally good too ;)