We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iLLGT3 - PC - Build Log

iLLGT3

That's correct. Some mobo's are 20-pin, others are 24-pin, which is why the cable is in two pieces to cater for both. There should also be another 4-pin power cable that goes form the PSU to the mobo, usually near where the I/O shield and ports go.

Most mobo's have more SATA connections than you need (unless you have 4 HDDs and 2 DVD burners like I do), and while they are numbered, you can get away with using any of the ones available - whatever's easiest to access and provides the best airflow.

Modular is definately better, but depending on how your case is structured internally, you may be able to carefully tie the unused cable with an elastic band and shove them under on of your HDDs if you've mounted it higher enough, and am not using a tool-less HDD cage of sorts.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put my GFX card in, just need the memory and processor now. :)

-- OLD IMAGE REMOVED (imageshack) --

I assume the lights on the fan will turn on when I plug the fans into the PSU yea?

How is that G.Skill memory? Seems like a very popular choice!

Yep. It isn't costly and gets the job done as well as the other brands do. :)

I assume the lights on the fan will turn on when I plug the fans into the PSU yea?

They'll only turn on when your computer is on. ;) Your build looks really nice!

I know that silly :p

I also am trying to understand, is it necessary to follow what it says on the SATA connecters from the PSU? They say things like P13, P14, P15, etc.. The only part I've seen that actually has a "P xx" is my optical which happens to be P15. What's the deal with that?

SATA is SATA, just connect any plug to any drive.

If there is one fault I can pick with the way you're building this (don't worry, I've done the same thing), is that you're buying each part one at a time, instead of all at the same time. Most shops offer a 7 day DOA (dead on arrival) warranty where you can simply replace the part if it doesn't work. The problem is, you won't know if the first products you purchased worked until the last parts arrive. If it turns out one of those early parts are DOA, you have to send it back to manufacturer which takes 2 weeks or more. I did that when building a PC and one of the parts was faulty/incompatible, and because I couldn't return the parts under DOA it took a month or 2 to get everything fixed - so sometimes it's better to wait until you can get everything on the same day.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen to you ;)

How is that G.Skill memory? Seems like a very popular choice!

yeah it gets the job done, I don't think spending too much money on memory is a wise choice unless you're a video editor etc. RAM doesn't really effect gaming performance when it's not under 2-4 gbs. Btw how much did you spend on hd6850

SATA is SATA, just connect any plug to any drive.

If there is one fault I can pick with the way you're building this (don't worry, I've done the same thing), is that you're buying each part one at a time, instead of all at the same time. Most shops offer a 7 day DOA (dead on arrival) warranty where you can simply replace the part if it doesn't work. The problem is, you won't know if the first products you purchased worked until the last parts arrive. If it turns out one of those early parts are DOA, you have to send it back to manufacturer which takes 2 weeks or more. I did that when building a PC and one of the parts was faulty/incompatible, and because I couldn't return the parts under DOA it took a month or 2 to get everything fixed - so sometimes it's better to wait until you can get everything on the same day.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen to you ;)

That's crossed my mind several times but Newegg and Tiger Direct both have return policies for DOA products (thank god) because I'm a bit worried about my mobo. :lol:

yeah it gets the job done, I don't think spending too much money on memory is a wise choice unless you're a video editor etc. RAM doesn't really effect gaming performance when it's not under 2-4 gbs. Btw how much did you spend on hd6850

Yeah, I'm looking at 4GB max. :)

Definitely install the CPU in while the motherboard is outside of the case. Once it goes in things tend to get tight. Also, if you decide to do this, keep a piece of foam on the table you're working on, then put a piece of antistatic wrap over the foam. Then put your motherboard on that and fix it up. Heck while it's out install the memory as well.

a good video that shows you what to do step by step. It cuts to the chase compared to all those other videos out there.