We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

iLLGT3 - PC - Build Log

iLLGT3

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an email from TD about this sale.. Is this Dual Channel 8GB memory from Corsair any good? Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - 1600MHz, 2x4096MB, Non-ECC, Unbuffered at TigerDirect.com

I assume that dual channel is the best way to go if I'm going to have 2 sticks of memory at the same time yea?

--

Newegg had a sale on this i7 for $254.99 (with promo code)

I have Crucial Ballistix in my PC. They are very good at being overclocked and having faster than specified timings. Had them for about 3 years and only 1 stick turned faulty but I got free replacements for all 4 thanks to the lifetime warranty.

Never used any other type of RAM in any of my PCs so can't really comment on them.

Corsair gave me no end of problems (although DDR3 was uber-new when I built mine). Once I sold the RAM back to the shop (at a loss) and bought OCZ Reaper DDR3 RAM I was all fine. However I've recently read that OCZ is moving away from making RAM.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take a look at some of those brands you guys have used. Thanks! :)

What about Mobos, what do you all use? I'm looking for one with an optical port so I can use my Turtle Beach DX11's. 7.1 on these requires an optical port. Its gotta be intel based too.

Most good mobo's have a Optical/TOSlink port. I got the XFX nVidia n790i Ultra because I was too lazy to compare all those long and confusing model names used by Asus, Gigabyte, etc. It was a very good mobo for the time (would have to be considering it cost $630) and is still going strong.

Just be 110% sure the mobo is compatible with the RAM and CPU that you want, has a similar FSB speed, supports your choice of SLI or xFire (just in case), and go for Japanese capacitors if it's mentioned. Quite a few cheap motherboards die young due to bad capacitors. You'll probably find two or more brands that offer the motherboard you want at a similar price, so then just compare what extra special features/software/technologies you get and make your choice.

Stay away from Biostar, my dad's had two of their motherboards and neither lasted more than 6 months.

I have an Asus mobo that was top of the range when I got it in '08. Had digital coax and optical connectors with a decent built in sounds card on it. More USB ports than you could shake a stick at too. Asus do tend to be well equipped and reliable from my experience with them.