We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Computer Building Help

Fear Deer

Hey there

im building a pc for myself, but i have not got all of the hardware, yet.

Anyways my dad bought hardware to build a pc for his company, and im building it.

So i connected and mounted everything and i triple checked, everything was well mounted and connected.

I turned it on..no USB keyboard/Mouse Signal, and no VGA signal.

Unplugged the GFX and tried the onboard.. nothing

not to mention that i noticed a lot of bad smell and smoke coming from the PSU ( i think it was teh PSU ;) semt like it)

So i tried my PSU which is the same one. it gives a weird smell on that computer, yet after that, trying on my motherboard, it doesnt give any smell. we checked the CPU and it was NOT burnt, was just normal. Has a Cooler Master cooler and dissipator on top of it. Its not the GFX cause we tried without it.

Doubt its the PSU tho on that pc it produces a weird smell.

Could be RAM or motherboard :/

Every piece of hardware was bought yesterday.

I did not touch the RAM contacts btw, cose of static electricity.

What could it be :S

Tomorrow going to the shop with the pc, built, so they can analise it and test the hardware on their test pc.

If you're taking it to the shop, let them test it. If you can't tell where the smell is coming from, it's going to be a lot harder for us to do it without smellivision. That said, if you are sure it's not the PSU or CPU, I guess it's either the motherboard or mayve even a HDD.

Have you made sure the motherboard underside is not shorting on the case?

@ozzcom if the PSU was not powerfull enough it would not smoke/produce smell.

Me n my dad are 99% Sure the smoke came from teh PSU ,so did the smell.

With my PSU there was no smoke, but there was smell.

And it smelled liked the PSU :|

We checked the CPU and its not burnt.

@Ryzza

Motherboard is not shorting on the case, but il double check that today.

i trid with HDD disconnected both from power and data cable.

only things that i suspect most are RAM or Motherboard.

Before me n my dad take it to the shop, we'll see if the mobo is shorting.

Thanks to everyone who replied ;)

The Fault was detected and resolved.

At the store he could not seem to find faulty hardware, so i reminded myself..

Wait maybe there is a short circuit with the board, on the case, as i forgot those things to make the board higher so its contact-less with the case, and i said that and he then said i was right. So i went to my dad's company, re assembled the PC but out of the case and it worked, woop GG Asus, you made a motherboard which survived short circuits on a lot of spots on the motherboard and which made a LOT of smoke. Works very well, its not burnt on any spot, the motherboard.

If you read carefully you'l notice that i did NOT overclock it xD

the cpu is quad core 3.10ghz.

and with the cooler i chose for it, Cooler Master Vortex Plus, under a torture test, all cores 100% load it did NOT go over 51ºC.

Which got me in an overclocking mode, but i did NOT :p

Im not gona do it on that pc :P

Its for my dad's company so il leave it stock.

but the one im building has same motherboard, same CPU, same RAM, same PSU, same case, same DVD burner, same cooler, only thing that differs is the graphics card.

dad's company has a Asus GeForce GT440 while im prefering for me ( correct me and explain why ) for gaming purposes the Gigabyte HD5570 OC 1GB DDR3 HDMI, and yea the asus geforce gt440 is GDDR5.

Should i go for the GT440?

Anyways on mine, i WILL overclock, but il let 1 month pass to see if its stable.

Anyways i've only got the case, mobo and dvd burner yet so....yea xD

If you do decide to overclock it just be careful of the temps because stock at 51 under load seems high to me. The higher the temps, the more life you're possibly taking out of it.

Just curious, what did you use to put the CPU under 100% load and how long for?

Prime95 is good but 10 minutes isn't long enough for a proper test. Several hours should be the minimum for a proper test, not that you need to do it anyway because there are few situations when CPU load is at 100% for prolonged periods of time.

Depends which GT440. How much memory?

E: The GT240 1GB is about 10% faster than the HD5570 1GB GDDR5 in most games so will be even faster than the DDR3 version.

Go for the GT440, even if it's 512MB because you won't be able to run smoothly with high resolutions like 1920x1080 or high AA with either.