We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The paragraphs to fix NFS

Eudemon

I think what NFS has lost over the last few iterations is it's charm and also it's craziness. The older games had a charm with the look of their GUI's and the whole being able to watch a brief video about the car as well as listen to a voiceover explaining the specs and such. It's craziness was in it's tracks or environments for which many people who played the earlier games will be able to roll the names of places off the top of their heads no problem. Usual mutterings will consist of Hometown and that damn 90 degree turn, Aquatica with the epic tunnel that's underwater, Landstrasse with the long tunnel [aaahh pillars!!] and high speeds, Durham Road with the broad accents of the police chatter and with myself being a Scot, I have to mention Celtic Ruins where it was always fun to see just how fast [and excited!] you could get the police chatter to report your speed. :D There were jumps aplenty with bridges and shortcuts, you had to use your brakes and of course you had to outrun and outfox the police in pursuit of you. Teasing the slower pursuit cars and then seeing the 'supercar police' hounding you down was always a sight to behold and you knew you were in for trouble when you saw them taking over. Being able to turn your lights off at night to avoid the helicopter and the other cops, don't if this was meant in NFS High Stakes/Road Challenge but it did for me on Landstrasse a few times.

NFS had the fun of a racer nailed, always picking the best and most unique cars; think Cala, Nazca and the bonkers El Nino and to their credit they carry this on with the series today but what they have lost imo is the essence of NFS and it all started to go down hill after Hot Pursuit 2 with you guessed it; the Underground series. Now I'm not saying tuners and drifters and all sorts don't deserve to be in NFS as after all you got to roll with the times, we don't get crazy cheatcodes and FREE bonuses after completing games these days such as suits, giant heads or dancing skies as DLC is more important. However I think the focus being on one demographic or the other is really hurting the series, should it be street racing or exotics? Why can't it be both! The original Most Wanted is actually one of my favourite because unlike the two Undergrounds that preceded it, you were not required to deface or mutilate your car in order to progress. I could grab my Porsche 996 turbo, leave it as is or 'DUB' it and the game continued on regardless. And I did this with many cars, I even quite liked one of the kits they had for the Gallardo and the chases were great fun with those bloody heavy as hell Rhinos, a psychotic pilot in the helo [thankfully minus exploding barrels and missiles] and the supercar top squad with 'Cross' I think his name was definitely made the pursuits very eventful. :nuts:

Who knows though what will happen, after all you can't say that the reboot of Hot Pursuit was awful as it sold a few million or more and no doubt with the same team behind the rebooted Most Wanted sales have been good again. Plus it's not like the companies can just do a game for the fans anymore as games cost so much to develop these days that they have to make sure the game sells in the first place!

One thing that's never been done is a massive police chase game (you can play both sides) with proper steering wheel, H shifter, & TrackIR support and proper handling/physics. No boring button-pushing, but intense behind the wheel action where you get a sweat going as you try to evade (or capture), where the opponents aren't completely kamikaze.

The only games that come close (police chases and I'd consider using a steering wheel in them) are TDU and NFS Carbon. There was actually a cool PSX game called Worlds Scariest Police Chases which was fun as well. Then you've got the Crash Time series which is similar but not quite as dramatic.

One thing that's never been done is a massive police chase game (you can play both sides) with proper steering wheel, H shifter, & TrackIR support and proper handling/physics. No boring button-pushing, but intense behind the wheel action where you get a sweat going as you try to evade (or capture), where the opponents aren't completely kamikaze.

The only games that come close (police chases and I'd consider using a steering wheel in them) are TDU and NFS Carbon. There was actually a cool PSX game called Worlds Scariest Police Chases which was fun as well. Then you've got the Crash Time series which is similar but not quite as dramatic.

Yup that's very true. But saying that, I did enjoy the chases in MW, especially when you get so many cops on you that you think you'll never escape. I've spent hours on chases (dw, I took breaks :lol:), good memories.

I'll send you a burnt copy D :)

Yep fun times in MW, until you drove everywhere in the map within one chase. That atmosphere/intensity with a TDU-sized intricate map with a FF steering wheel and cockpit view and H shifter would drive it up way higher than the Criterion version.

I think most of us kind of think the older games were better than they really were. Lets be honest its competitors at the time were laughable. There wasn't really any game you'd think of when racing games were considered except nfs.

I really liked the hp and most wanted. I thought they were really good throwbacks fun and shiny. You can't expect more from a game which focuses on the new trend of play it for a month and throw it away strategy.

Not sure about that mate as I did have a return to NFS III and Road Challenge not too long ago as well my old favourite of the original Call of Duty and they still hold true to this day in my memory of how they were. It is true that certain game impressions are more rose tinted nostalgia that if you go back to you find them quite rubbish, but with the games I've mentioned and even like I said with the original Most Wanted. Those games have a strong place in my past gaming brilliants. :D