We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The new Xbox might require always being connected to the internet

iNotACactus

While Microsoft and Sony might see this as "the future" I see it as a disaster for the video game community as it completely destroys used games. Once you spend 60 dollars on a game now, you're stuck with it. This could be horrible for game sales as well, if a game is reviewed more poorly than it should be, people will be less willing to spend 60 dollars on a game that might not complete their needs.

I just don't think this sort of thing is a good idea at all, I can keep listing problems but you get the basic idea here.

This could push me to become a playstation user again, I'm not into being scammed out of money, I always buy and sell used games, no point in spending extortionate amount on games and then not being able to sell them once used, some games are extremely short and have no replay value, do they genuinely expect people to buy them if this is the case?

This could push me to become a playstation user again, I'm not into being scammed out of money, I always buy and sell used games, no point in spending extortionate amount on games and then not being able to sell them once used, some games are extremely short and have no replay value, do they genuinely expect people to buy them if this is the case?

I hope you seriously don't think Sony isn't going to do the same. They will.

Next gen consoles will be extremely similar, it's been predicted. If MS is banning used games, so is Sony.

Besides, it was rumoured that Orbis was banning used games far beyond this announcement from MS, Sony hinted at banning used games back in July of last year.

Just think about this if the used games thing is true and they disable access to used games major companies will go bust, Game, Gamestop, blockbusters other shops Cex are doomed where are they going to get their profits i mean they wont get as much as they used to with only new games, i know that many aren't willing to pay full price at the start in case the game is terrible.

It all comes down to the big questions about whether you're buying software (games) as an object (i.e. a couch that can be resold) or a license to be used (general PC software often isn't resold... you can't resell used Windows OS discs (unless selling a PC with OEM Windows installed on it)), etc, etc.

I've never sold games but have occasionally bought trade-ins but then if I was patient I could get the same game new on eBay for the same price. This sounds evil on Microsoft's part but if they're going to wipe out used game sales then they should take the opportunity to reduce the price of new games (which no doubt are priced to offset used game sales). i.e. you can't resell Steam games but since they're so much cheaper than alternative sources no-one seems to care.

The traditional game shops should be most worried since online purchasing and Internet downloads will probably increase in future. Also would mean you can't rent games from video shops.