We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

DirectX 12 Will Allow Multi-GPU Between GeForce And Radeon

iLLGT3

We were also told that DirectX 12 will support all of this across multiple GPU architectures, simultaneously. What this means is that Nvidia GeForce GPUs will be able to work in tandem with AMD Radeon GPUs to render the same game – the same frame, even.

This is especially interesting as it allows you to leverage the technology benefits of both of these hardware platforms if you wish to do so. If you like Nvidia's GeForce Experience software and 3D Vision, but you want to use AMD's TrueAudio and FreeSync, chances are you'll be able to do that when DirectX 12 comes around. What will likely happen is that one card will operate as the master card, while the other will be used for additional power.

Tom's Hardware

This is interesting. I surely hope DX12 will deliver on everything it is promising so far. Though somehow I doubt nvidia will play well with AMD if this sort of multi GPU setup. :nods:

Yeah I can't see this being a big thing. At best you'll get some young kids who just want the free games that come with two different cards. You only really go SLI if you've already got the best single graphics card available already (and deep pockets).

I'd recommend you go all nerdy and benchmark before and after installing a second card (when this is supported, of course... doesn't your motherboard also have to support SLI+Xfire?)... some games just don't take enough advantage of multiple GPUs (experienced firsthand when I had a 9800GX2) and I still see similar complaints on forums for todays' games. The extra power required and heat generated by the second card may also mean that the fans spin up more and the card detunes itself on the fly.

Of course if you've got awesome cooling and wanted to get a second 980 then power to you! (People with this tend to run triple screens though).