We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PC crash issue

CLR-GTR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I updated BIOS, several Intel related software things and Realtek Audio drivers. I bet the restarting during those installs prevented the pc from crashing as it didn't crash all day long. Today it did crash again however after first startup. So updating that stuff didn't do the trick. On to find more possible solutions, perhaps I should soon check the BIOS what voltage the memory runs on... the RAM I got is advertized to run on 1.2V. I also read people had simply swapped sata ports for the HDD's, but the way I connected them is how it was recommended in the manual AND how it was necessary. If I change sataports, my mobo might miss on detecting one or more HDD's so I can't do that.

As for above post: I tried to look into the bios settings for memory but didn't understand a lot of the settings so I just kept them the way they are. Voltage for memory was listed as 1.2V so I know not to mess that one up.

As for the rest: having this issue happening every day in the same severity is not enough, it keeps getting worse now. Since recently, the crash can now happen twice in a row, showing a smack on the reset button is not 100% of the times enough to make it work properly until it gets a new overnight rest (which seems to be an important factor in this). Not new is that several times my TP link adapter for internet sometimes just doesn't get recognized after reset, meaning I have to replug it, but since a few days the pc now likes to skip the keyboard and mouse, meaning I can now reset my computer up to 4 times (ye I can replug the stuff... takes more time and is still an issue):

1) reset after crash

2) reset because keyboard/mouse don't work

3) reset because Windows/pc detected there's a problem and attempt automatic recovery, which didn't work because it just knows ''oh I didn't shut down properly'' and the massive error screen with a :( emoticon is gone way too fast to read anything on it.

4) another reset because automatic recovery doesn't work and just asks you to restart yet again

I'm inclined to agree. Make sure it's a flat fee and not a hourly labour rate.

I assume your keyboard/mouse are USB. Not being recognised could be a clue. Chipset drivers. Try different ports. Try booting with nothing plugged in and see if it ever crashes.

Chipset drivers were updated through MSI Live Update yesterday (7885 BIOS, Intel ME drivers, Intel chipset drivers, VIA USB 3.0 drivers, ASMedia USB 3.0 drivers and Realtek HD Audio drivers). As a double check: the Intel Driver Update Utility could not find anything outdated on my system.

Yes, mouse and keyboard are USB (and the TP link thing too). Already swapped ports a few times as first thing I did to try and fix this, but as you read it has not helped unfortunately.

Booting with nothing plugged sounds a bit weird to do because then I can't start say ETS2, GTA V or 3ds max, which I need to cause the crash. Just idling the pc or just browsing the web isn't kicking the system at all, I need ''heavy'' applications for that. So I need to have a mouse or keyboard connected for at least a few seconds.

Chipset drivers were updated through MSI Live Update yesterday (7885 BIOS, Intel ME drivers, Intel chipset drivers, VIA USB 3.0 drivers, ASMedia USB 3.0 drivers and Realtek HD Audio drivers). As a double check: the Intel Driver Update Utility could not find anything outdated on my system.

Yes, mouse and keyboard are USB (and the TP link thing too). Already swapped ports a few times as first thing I did to try and fix this, but as you read it has not helped unfortunately.

Booting with nothing plugged sounds a bit weird to do because then I can't start say ETS2, GTA V or 3ds max, which I need to cause the crash. Just idling the pc or just browsing the web isn't kicking the system at all, I need ''heavy'' applications for that. So I need to have a mouse or keyboard connected for at least a few seconds.

are those all steam applications ? have you tried running a heavy game outside steam? Because steam is really sensitive and fragile to any combination of hardware really. Also do you have too many things(USB or firewire) plugged in to your pc? Windows is not great at managing power.

You could add a game to Startup

Or use a remote control phone app

Good one, didn't think of that.

@Ozz: I have TP link, keyboard and receiver of mouse in the PC. At the back, one cable of the speakerset, HDMI for the monitor, a cable for my headset microphone, and the powercable ofcourse. I only really recharge my phone through pc but that takes like 2 hours and then I remove the cable again (I thought maybe a permanent yet unused cable might also affect this but it doesn't).

I got ETS2 and V on steam, yes. 3ds max not, but that also once made my system crash in the same way, when I had to open up the car from my signature picture to reassign dozens and dozens of textures (their paths changed due to new pc and hdd setup so 3ds looked at non-existing locations).

Took me over 1,5 hour today of ETS2 playing but eventually, ''luckilly'' the PC still crashed :D.

Once again not detecting the TP Link adapter after I hit reset, I pulled it out. Pulling it out is what then caused the pc to show a blue screen (not BSOD blue but a softer shade of blue) with the :( smiley and saying something including ''the pc encountered a problem and must be rebooted''. Yes, screen still passes too fast for me to read it properly.

EDIT: not that it helps considering the big interweb gives no conclusive answer ofcourse, but all my Event 41 Kernel Power crashes (the crash this whole topic is about) are preceded by Filter Manager loaded events.

:umm: Just had an idea and I might have had this idea already or someone else might have. But do you have access to another PSU? Perhaps borrow one from a friend.

It could be a faulty PSU that's struggling to keep up with sustained relatively high loads/temperatures. Which would explain why the PC is fine when just internetting around as their won't be much load on the PSU so the components won't be getting too hot.

I don't have an extra PSU no, definitely not one of same or higher power outputs. I thought it wouldn't be a defective PSU since after a reset it can go on for hours in V. I can try and look for one... might take a while though.

I think I'm gonna check all the cables again this weekend, see if it's all attached properly.

Also ran a Check Disk outside of windows and it found 0 errors:

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.

Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

311296 file records processed. File verification completed.

1659 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

373508 index entries processed. Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Cleaning up 951 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 951 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 951 unused security descriptors.

Security descriptor verification completed.

31107 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

41218024 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...

311280 files processed. File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...

24104579 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

No further action is required.

249698303 KB total disk space.

152754876 KB in 146893 files.

98868 KB in 31108 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

426239 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

96418320 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

62424575 total allocation units on disk.

24104580 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

00 c0 04 00 5c b7 02 00 68 61 05 00 00 00 00 00 ....\...ha......

e3 00 00 00 62 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....b...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

EDIT: trying to use RealTemp while playing V, it crashed again. I noticed that during the freeze, the Caps Lock light would not come on when pressing the key... Still no idea what Filter Manager has to do with it, still no idea why that's always the last process in the log file before the Critical entry of the crash.

EDIT2: decided to get BlueScreenView. Strangely the last DMP file was made may 22nd while I use (and crash) the pc daily with no exceptions. Switching to BSOD view, XP style, mentions:

''Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000004, 0xffffe0011b79f038, 0x0000000000000000,

0x0000000000000000)

*** hal.dll - Address 0xfffff802779e4213 base at 0xfffff802779ad000 DateStamp

0x538bade8''

Checked all cables today: everything properly in place. Memory is in correct position all the way in their slots with clamps at the right position. Still crashes with a non-responsive keyboard, mouse and TP link adapter as result. Had to reset the pc again, and once that was done I still had to actually replug the TP link adapter.

• 4 weeks later...

Weird, today the crash happened again (as álmost every other day until today), but today the weird thing was I could still hear sound. I was doing a heist mission on V and the music just played as normally, and I could still talk to people in the skype call I was in. After rebooting, the keyboard didn't work, but the mouse and internet did...

• 1 month later...

Well, installing a new, clean Windows 8, then 8.1, then 10 didn't fix the issue. I started ETS2 and within 3 minutes it froze up.

Seems I have to do the shop thing. There ís no other solution anymore. And windows 10 logs are nowhere more accurate than 8's.

• 1 year later...

Took me a year, but I finally decided to get the PSU replaced. So I just tried testing it on my new Cooler Master V-Series 850W instead of my Corsair RM650.

Basically I could have also typed that I went to the toilet and used bills of a total of 160 euros to clean my behinds with, because that's how much it helped me out. Started up PC, started up ETS2, spawned in a calm, traffic-poor scandinavian city, drove 2 minutes before the crash happened again.

So we're back at the beginning, although I do have a nice 850W PSU now I guess... and a 650W in a box, and nowhere near a solution.

Took me a year, but I finally decided to get the PSU replaced. So I just tried testing it on my new Cooler Master V-Series 850W instead of my Corsair RM650.

Basically I could have also typed that I went to the toilet and used bills of a total of 160 euros to clean my behinds with, because that's how much it helped me out. Started up PC, started up ETS2, spawned in a calm, traffic-poor scandinavian city, drove 2 minutes before the crash happened again.

So we're back at the beginning, although I do have a nice 850W PSU now I guess... and a 650W in a box, and nowhere near a solution.

Just keep buying replacement parts that you don't need until you have either a fixed PC or a new one :p

Could you give me(/us) a TLDR of what the issue is and what you've done so far? I don't even remember last week never mind last year. :lol:

Issue:

I start the pc, and want to do something like playing a game or using 3ds max while listening music. The PC will crash by freezing up, with infinite soundloop of the tone on that moment, and everything's irresponsive. It's not a fixed set of circumstances, it can happen after 5 minutes but also nearing an hour after starting of the ''activity''.

Frequency:

99% of the cases it happens just once a day and usually after I rebooted from the crash, I could play GTA V for 9 hours in a row without issues. But crashing has also happened 3 times in a row several rare times, and it has also not happened at all a few times. Amount of time to trigger the issue can be between 5 and 30 minutes.

Workaround:

Hit the reset button, and it reboots. Often but not always it leads to a boot-up with non-responding keyboard (pressing caps or numlock doesn't make the lights go on/out), mouse and internet adapter. In such cases, I hit reset a second time to try and get the keyboard, mouse and adapter to be recognized again.

Trivial:

- always registered as a Kernel ID41 event, most of the times with entirely empty windows logs. This event ID happens to be one of the most vague ones out there with too many people having too many different reasons it happens.

- can't be caused by overclocking because my system runs default settings

- can't be caused by overheating because I monitored the temps and they never went crazy

- Memtest'ing each RAM stick separately for hours in a row resulted in 0 errors for each of the 4 sticks (yes, they're in the correct slots)

- stresstesting through various software could go on for hours in a row without any errors

- can't be caused by conflicting audio drivers (mentioned on the interweb), but the pc always resets and activates everything at start anyway so this is in the class of alternative healing methods...

- can't be caused by a faulty PSU, or I have bought 2 faulty PSU's in a row.

- can't be caused by un-grounded sockets/outlets, I had this done over a year ago and it didn't help.

- can't be caused by a faulty Windows install, I have tried reinstalling 8.1 twice, then installed it again to freshly update to windows 10, and it still happens.

- tried installing latest drivers for GPU, intel chipsets, BIOS, all didn't work

Your point of ''just replace everything'' might be the only thing left. I'm thinking it's the motherboard, and that means rebuilding a new pc plus a new motherboard and perhaps new CPU etc... so it's really going to be a new pc again this way. Nice.

Reminds me of my 2008 system. I literally RMA'd every major part and became a nuisance to the shop. Tests found no errors bu the system would just freeze at random.

None of the parts ended up being faulty per se, just the brand/model of RAM was incompatible with my motherboard/CPU. So I sold the Corsair RAM back to the shop at a loss and purchased some G.Skill RAM instead and the system still runs solid as a rock to this day being used by a friend who does iRacing on triple screens with a G27.

Incidentally after 2 Corsair SSD's have also failed on me I'll never buy another Corsair product again.

If your local PC parts shop has a flat fee 'troubleshooting' service I'd consider making this their problem.