We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

PotW Banner

Iced_Bullet

I'm guessing every winner is going to be put in the banner, I was wondering if the orginial picture could be put up, ie. not the shrunk one. Just to get rid of the "blurred effect"

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of putting the winner in the banner, and I definately wouldn't be able to code a picture into it, I just didn't know how else to phrase ^

:)

That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.

basically, in this picture, everything on the right of the bike...

Nope, the original pictre (which will be 1280px wide) placed in the banner. not the shrunk 800px wide photo. This means there is no need for the £blurred" effect to the right of the bike!

That would be possible as all I would need to is make the div background the image itself but it would mean you would need to set a size for the images being posted as being at least 1000 pixels wide.

At the moment I am working on a random display script so that it will vary the banner shown up top, just trying to see how you incorporate it into vBulletin is all.

If it's a difficult task then there's no need to change it, I was just wondering if it could be done if it was an easy process :) Good work so far :D

What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

I'll definitely look into it though. :)

What to remember is that recurring background is only there because the div is bigger than the image due to your monitor resolution. Someone on 800x600 hardly sees any blurred background, 1024x768 sees slightly more and so on.

It works in reverse also though with a bigger background image then those on lower resolutions may only see the trees and the road but no bike whereas those on 1280 and higher will see the full picture and then just a blank space where the image has ended. You also need to remember that larger images equate to bigger filesizes, I am trying to keep the header images below 30Kb as right now I this front page is verging on 100Kb so 10 people download that's 1Mb, 100 = 10Mb, a 1000 = 100Mb and 10,000 downloads = 1Gb. Taking into account that we are on about 20-30,000 visitors a month this would equal a fair amount of bandwidth.

Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such :)

Very interesting, thanks for putting it all into perspective for those of us a little more simple minded about websites and such :)

Exactly what I would have said in responce Speed :)

Thanks for the technical update :D As I just take site for granted and don't know about anything that goes into them etc :(

Unfortunately quality is not a strong point in the Xbox 360 images, you need to usually resize them to have a good looking image. Damn compression that is forced upon developers. Wonder if PGR4 will look as good as PGR3 did without hardly any compression. Speaking of which, PGR4 is out in North America today!

• 1 year later...