We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What Car should I get?

Baltoman

What Car Should I Get!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What Car Should I Get!

• VW Puma Coupe
    • VW Puma Convertible
    • VW SP2
    • Cheverolet Opala
    • VW Beetle
    • None, I hate you balto!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah no, we all have to drive our parents cars here as well, except for the rich ones. Sure prices for the actual car are maybe less here, but that doesn't make it much better, because insurance and tax (and petrol, but that's tax too) are the killers

Sorry Balto, just had to ask Speedtouch:

How much is fuel there? 92 Octane here is $2.10 to $2.20-ish. As for insurance, I have no idea how much it is here cos i never bothered to find out, but premiums are apparently sky high because a lot of drivers have wildly exaggerated their injury claims in an accident :mad:. Oh, and our tax system is really annoying. Road tax is based off your car's engine displacement, so my dad's 2.4l Mitsubishi Grandis' tax is $990 for half a year. In addition to that, other taxes have to be paid when actually buying the car, which roughly equates to about 120% the actual price of the car PLUS another 15-20k for another special tax...

Sorry, I just HAD to rant to de-stress after the French GP... :p

^ I know that petrol here is about £1.20 a litre (SG$3.23, US$2.37), which is 98 RON. They only sell 98 here, no lower. Here we have 17.5% VAT (Value added Tax), then the road tax is based upon a few things, but more recently its become more influenced by CO2 emissions. If your car emits under 100g/cm3, you get free road tax, if under 120g/cm3, its £35 a year. So things like this have delayed the release of Merc's Bluetec technology, because that works by reducing air pollution, not CO2, so here, it would only save you on petrol.

Pressurized: I've never really considered older cars. Maybe because i've got something against them, but free tax is fairly lucrative. And about the Defenders, they are pretty cool, but they are unreliable right? People always say that you can just mend them yourself, but I have no clue how to fix a car...

Quite a few of the older cars im looking at are under 1 Litre. Plus Tax Exempt is great. The problem is the price of the actual cars. One of my favourites, and Austin Healey Frogeye Spirte can go for £7000 +...

And the Defender, as far as i know, they can be fixed with a Brick and a piece of String. But what i would like to do to one is put big wheels on and turn it into a proper offroad vehicle.