We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

MS ADPCM format troubles

TingTings

When converting to both MS and the IMA ADPCM format I seem to never get the correct file size. I've recorded a few sounds using sound forge, and when saving, I've noticed that the file size is actually off by a few kb (between 20-30). When I opened the file up again, I noticed a little section of the sound is added to the end of the file, increasing the length and thus increasing the file size. No matter what I try, I cannot seem to remove this little section at the end. I highlight it, delete it, save the file, and straight away it adds this random section of the sound (around half a second) at the end of the file. This also causes the sound to not properly loop. (I also experienced this when trying to save in Audacity).

I tried to add the file regardless (bnk editor cuts the file size) and upon entering the game, the sound clicks and makes strange noises. This was extremely frustrating, so I attempted to save the file as an uncompressed PCM and then convert it using a 3rd party program (thinking sound forge was maybe doing something idiotic). I used Winamps disk writer and set the output file format to MS ADPCM (44.1khz, 4bit mono, etc). Once again, the filesize is too big, and again a little extra sound was added to the end. Without this extra sound at the end, the length of the sound would be correct and thus the filesize.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a way to get around this, or a better way of saving the files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 years later...

Here's a solution

I realize this is an old thread but it never hurts to broadcast a viable answer. Hopefully TDU modding will live on, and hopefully we can get some good new engine sounds if a few more people with a decent ear and some concept of "layers" can come to understand the idiosyncrasies of TDU's somewhat cramped audio-file system. I hope to roll out a few new ones myself.

I had the same frustrating problem. The ADPCM file format gets "corrected" to accommodate the block-alignment "rules."

I have been mucking around with Audacity and other popular freeware and ad-supported programs, but they keep inserting the silence at the end.

My solution is to use WavePad Sound Editor. The version I found on Softpedia is ad-supported with an option to upgrade to a "Master Edition" version. BEWARE that it peddles some bloatware during the installation. You have to OPT OUT.

I just downloaded it and it works perfectly. It saves ADPCM files properly (use the MS ADPCM, 44100 kHz, 4-bit, mono options when saving), without sticking the silence at the end. It outputs files that will loop properly.

Also, you can clean up your already-modified files by using the "autotrim" feature in WavePad Sound Editor. Under the "edit" menu go to "trim >> autotrim."

Alternatively, you can zoom in (ctrl numpad+) and manually select and delete using the cursor.

• 2 months later...
When converting to both MS and the IMA ADPCM format I seem to never get the correct file size. I've recorded a few sounds using sound forge, and when saving, I've noticed that the file size is actually off by a few kb (between 20-30). When I opened the file up again, I noticed a little section of the sound is added to the end of the file, increasing the length and thus increasing the file size. No matter what I try, I cannot seem to remove this little section at the end. I highlight it, delete it, save the file, and straight away it adds this random section of the sound (around half a second) at the end of the file. This also causes the sound to not properly loop. (I also experienced this when trying to save in Audacity).

I tried to add the file regardless (bnk editor cuts the file size) and upon entering the game, the sound clicks and makes strange noises. This was extremely frustrating, so I attempted to save the file as an uncompressed PCM and then convert it using a 3rd party program (thinking sound forge was maybe doing something idiotic). I used Winamps disk writer and set the output file format to MS ADPCM (44.1khz, 4bit mono, etc). Once again, the filesize is too big, and again a little extra sound was added to the end. Without this extra sound at the end, the length of the sound would be correct and thus the filesize.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a way to get around this, or a better way of saving the files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same here. I think this is because i edit the files in 16bit mode and then extract them in 4bit mode. In Audiacity i zoom very close into the wave and make it as big as possible close before being bigger than the original. Means i try to find the point when the windows explorer tells me the file is bigger than the original kilobytenumber shown in the bnk editor. Then i make it step by step very little shorter till it's a little bit smaller than the original export it and let bnkfile editor replace it. It will fill it with only a few zeros. In my case that made them loops go good. Do not make them files be bigger than the original. When bnkfileeditor has to cut it allways does not work. Make it at least smaller. Make it the biggest smaller file as it can be :-) .

I will try wavepad to not having that work again. And don't forget to "save" the bnk file in bnk editor after EVERY time replacing a waveline. Replace and save replace and save. Bye :-)