We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

New to TDU - what first??

UK HOTCARS

Hi Guys

I've just purchased TDU, I've bought a house and a car and done a couple of races, failed a couple of challenges (courier and giving a lady a lift with her bags) and completed the first acheivment by driving 30 miles.

So what next?? What do you more experienced players recommend as a strategy?? Is it simply a case of just keep driving and practising, is it about making money or is it about owning the most cars??

I don't really "get" the online thing either, whenever I have gone to an online race (they're orange yeah?) it always says something like "no online games matched your online preferences" even though I've changed them to try and get online, also the other players I see (with red names above them) are they "real" people or AIs or what??

My name, UK HOTCARS, is also my gametag but its not a reflection on my ability to drive it comes from my own website on modified cars!!

Cheers

GC

Guest RB26DETT

you do races, you buy cars, you buy houses and you try to finish all the races. most people online just like to cruise/drive around the island.

welcome to the forum. ;)

Welcome! :)

buy nice cars and join anyone's cruise, orange race's are online if u dont know.. red cars on map are others driving around.. click on them and (sometimes, wont work everytime) you come to them and anyone others.. have fun.. sorry for my bad english..

Welcome to the forum.

When I first started I got the TT as my 1st car then just worked through the races I could do trying to clear each group I could. So as the TT is an F class car I done all the F class races and so on.

Alsot the 1st thing I would do is the car delivery Missions as they give you $40k + and double if you deliver without damaging the vehicle. The model and hitch Hikers only give clothe tokens so I would leave them to start with.

As RB said online races don't really exist and if they do its always people in Saleens. Also download all the free packs on XBL to see the DLC cars when you are online.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Hi Nodz, I also went for the TT to start with and I'm sort of going along the way you've described except I failed my first courier mission and it cost me 6 grand lol so it put me off. I've just seen one though and it pays 60 grand os worth sticking at I guess!!!

How would I join an online cruise then?? It might be me being thick but I just aint getting the online thing lol!!

Cheers

GC

Cruises used to be organised but now they just happen. Just keep an eye out for some of us on there.

Also this thread might be helpful to you

Test Drive Unlimited FAQ (Includes HUGE Map)

Also on the Merc Gullwing dilivery don't go through the mountains as the GPS says as you'll always loose money. Instead plan your own route round the mountains.

Guest RB26DETT
Eat your breakfast.

Behold, the word of GOD.

Come everyone let us feast.

*grabs huge double pack box of Cheerios.*

(yes i really do have the double pack.) :p

There are online races but it tends to be the same crowd as not many people race. The ones who do race are very good at it. Don't worry when it says "no races matched your online preferences" thats just because no races are happening.

When you view your map the multiplayer races (orange) will have a brighter ring around the outside of them if a race is taking place at that location. Alternatively you can go to any multiplayer race and change your search setting to allow "Global Challenges" this will search all the multiplayer events for joinable races.

Advice... Hmm. Avoid the temptation to rush out and buy an Enzo or another group A car as in the early stages of the game you will have little to no use for a car of such a high class. You'd be better off buying D, C & B class cars then saving for an A class later.

As RB said online races don't really exist and if they do its always people in Saleens.

True it is often Saleens but don't get these guys mixed up with the S7 Noobs, they aren't. The S7 is used because it is the fastest car around the track once you know how to use it. Drop in on a multiplayer race and the guys are always willing to pass on racing tips (providing you're polite and above the age of 12).

Anyway have fun!

tWm, some great advice there thanks very much.

Also this Forum is one of the few not blocked by my works Firewall - even more of a bonus!! Till the IT guy gets onto it that is! He's a nerd. I work for British Airways and once typed "How to blow up a Boeing 747" into Google and apparently he nearly crapped out a kidney!

GC

Welcome

Welcome to TDU Nation.

First time I pick TDU played a couple of times and put him out of sight but this month I recoverer it and in 2 weeks I become a champion!!!!

Try to win some races, improve your car, buy new ones and find all the challenges and races. I think that don´t exist a special strategy to play the game.

Hope find you to play some races online, I feel the same when trying to play some online race, there aren´t players!!!

I´ll Dark444.

Welcome to TDU-C

Some advice from me ...

Firstly don't going buying cars for the hell of it

The best plan is to buy the cars you need for the events.

I did it by just driving round to discover all the events and slowly going through them one by one

Same for houses, only buy a house when you need another car space ... and also the prices vary a lot ... I tended to buy the cheaper ones

Model missions only give you tokens for clothes, if you PERFECT them all you get enough tokens for all the clothes

Car Delivery - ONLY finish these if you have a PERFECT score as you get a big extra money bonus, as Nodz says they are a good way of getting cash to start with and as he also says, DON'T drive over the mountain pass on the Gullwing delivery, drive south to the dual carriageway and around the mountains, the GPS will soon catch up and give you a new route!

Courier - as before, quit them early if you think you're going to fail

Hitchhiker - boring really

General thing for most of the Hitchhiker and Model missions is to do about 120mph, this normally gets you there in time and is also a lot easier to react, than blasting along at over that speed.

In terms of the online stuff, to be honest the online races are normally rubbish and I gave them up ages ago as they tend to be populated by kids in Saleen S7s and so makes for very dull racing

events you'll have fun with (get annoyed with), when you finally get to them are Tantalus (sorry if the spelling is off) and the Millionaires run ... there's a knack for both

Basically just take your time and slowly work through the events, if you've done everything and you can't find any more events drive around the island, on the main map screen any road you've driven turns blue, and you need to discover the events.

and if you get stuck search the forum, as most things have already been asked and answered ... if not I'm sure some of us can help you

and most of all, have fun, it's a great game

As Hybrid said about Houses shop about as you can save over $50k or more depending.

For example a 6 car house can be between $350k to over $450k the same goes for all the houses as that $50k+ saved on a house is a new car or a tuning stage for a car.

BTW:

that guide is a bit out of date as there has been more car packs, the only good thing is the map as the game doesn't ship with one anymore.

My friends and I can definitely help you out. We're normally on most nights in multiplayer races. Look for races hosted by either SBiggy888, KTK2, Il Dire, or myself in the race lobby. Come in and we'll run you through the whole game, give you tips on controller set-up, advice on which cars to buy etc, we might even be able to give you some money to help you with some achievements.

Even more great advice, thanks! I've just been earning some money and getting a feel for the island so far. I bought the Audi TT to start with and downloaded the R34 and bought it. I've done a few races/time trials etc and 3 of the car delivery missions, I have $526,000ish. I've done a hitchhiker and a top model thing too, just to try them, and my missus likes shopping lol.

I have another question if you guys dont mind, the in-game communication, sometimes I hear nothing for ages on my headset then will suddenly hear a burst of conversations and then they die out again, do people have to be "in range" for you to hear them or something?? Can you set up private chats??

Cheers

GC

Pretty much aim for achievements. Collect cars, collect houses, win races, as soon as you can. Once you're in champion, you could do this one race (180mph in heavy traffic) again and again until you have countless money. Once you've bought all the cars you want, buy your favorite and start racking up miles and exploring the Island.

After you're bored with that, buy Hardcore mode and have a shot at drifting. :)

Here. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/test-drive-unlimited/overview/

Best to use the huge map given by Nodz. :) Have fun and welcome to the forum.

And, don't forget to search for Car Delivery, Hitchiker, Top Model, and Package Delivery locations and its maps in google.com