We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

500hp Audi R8 Race Car Revealed

DriftNismo

audi_r8_gt3_small_1.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_2.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_3.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_4.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_5.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_6.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_8.jpgaudi_r8_gt3_7.jpg

These are the stunning first pictures of the new 500bhp Audi ‘R16’ – a hardened version of the R8 supercar specially developed for GT3 racing.

The Audi R8 GT3, which has been codenamed ‘R16’ by Audi Sport, has been engineered from four-wheel drive to rear-wheel drive to conform to GT3 racing regulations.

Other mechanical adjustments include a newly developed six-speed sequential sports gearbox to channel the car’s 500bhp – up from the standard R8’s 420bhp.

Audi has left the R8’s suspension almost completely standard with the other major changes coming with the race car’s cosmetics.

To increase downforce, the Audi R8 has been fitted with a massive spoiler, while the new alloys are house within a set of flared wheel arches to go alongside the German car’s aggressive new bodykit.

While no interior shots have been released, the exterior images suggest show a roll bar and we’d anticipate the interior to be stripped out to keep weight to a minimum.

In the GT3 championships, the Audi R8 will be up against specially modified versions of the Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 GT3, Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin DB9 and Corvette Z06.

Head of Audi Motorsport, Dr Wolfgang Ullrich said: “Ever since the R8 was unveiled we’ve been inundated with enquiries about a race version.

“With the Audi R8 we will offer customers a racing sportscar equipped with high-calibre technology and the typical Audi qualities, but which is nevertheless easy to handle.”

Since going on sale last year, the R8 has been a big success and impressive first supercar for Audi, offering the Porsche 911 a genuine rival for the title as best sub-£100,000 sports car.

Prices for the Audi R8 GT3 are yet to be released with deliveries for the track car expected in autumn 2009.

I wasn't too keen on the first R8, one of the reasons being it was AWD and i thought it would handle a lot better if it was RWD, but this one looks amazing. That reminds me, when are they releasing the V12 petrol R8?

Take off that rear wing, and <3 for road use! :D, that looks awesome, i would love to see a standard R8 lowered to that height, but it wouldnt come in much useful *speedbump*

Well, they are releasing it for sale soon, and the 911 GT3RS, 911 GT2 & F50GT made it to the road, i don't see why you won't be able to use this on the road. But you would have to change the rear wing i should imagine, because you would take someone's eye out with that one :D.