We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

WRC - Suzuki pulled out, Subaru Pulling out too?

CarMadMike

suzuki_wrc.jpg

Another one bites the dust. Today was the deadline for manufacturers to announce their intentions to race in the FIA World Rally Championship for 2009, and Suzuki saw fit to let its entry expire after just a single year of competition. The Japanese automaker calls the move a countermeasure to "the contraction of the automotive sales caused by recent global economic turmoil." In other words, fewer car sales mean less excess money for racing. Worse, Suzuki says it expects things to stay bad for the foreseeable future, so riding out the storm wasn't a possibility.

Suzuki was just beginning to see some success in WRC, finishing in the top five for the last two races of the season with its SX4 WRC racer. The manufacturer's Swift Cup will remain active in 2009. This move follows rival automaker Honda's announcement that it would be suspending Formula 1 and AMA Roadracing competition, also a result of the global economic downturn. Thanks for the tip, everyone!

And then This might be happening? :ill:

82609728_580op.jpg

Even more bad news (motor)sports fans. According to a report by Finnish sports site MT3.fi, Subaru will follow in the footsteps of Suzuki and pull out of the 2009 World Rally Championship (WRC) season. While Suzuki's declaration was a surprise, Subaru's exit from the world of rallying would be a serious blow to the sport as a whole and its fans in particular. A formal announcement will supposedly follow tomorrow, but we're keeping our fingers crossed that the Finns got this one wrong. Thanks to Eralp for the tip!

Source: Autoblog

The sport just wont be the same if subaru pull out, and well, neither will subarus :(

seat and skoda havent been in it for years

the teams left would be the 3 ford teams and citroen

Thought I saw skoda in it this year but oh well, goes to show how much attention I pay whilst I watch it on Dave.

I remeber it years ago when I was really into it and you had the EVO VS Scooby and the MArtini foci (focus') I havent really watched it much since.

Its official

Officially official: Subaru leaving World Rally Championship

by Noah Joseph on Dec 16th 2008 at 9:58AM

Click above to view Subaru's 2008 WRC car in our high-resolution image gallery

Rally fans who were troubled by the rumors yesterday that Subaru was preparing to do the unthinkable and scrap its WRC team will be disappointed to learn that the speculation has proven to be true, as parent company Fuji Heavy Industries has announced it is pulling its participation effective immediately.

Not unlike its fellow Japanese automaker Honda, which has canceled its Formula One program, Fuji Heavy points to cost-cutting measures amidst the current global economic crisis as its reason for canceling its motorsport program. Still, it's a shocking move for the automaker that earned its reputation on the rally circuit, even if they haven't won a single stage since 2005. The move also means that Prodrive, the racing consultancy firm that has operated the Subaru WRC team for over 20 years, will need to find a new partner for next season and beyond as the WRC moves ahead with new regulations. But Prodrive may find the rally circuit a lonely place after Suzuki also canceled its participation, leaving Ford and Citroen as the only manufacturers fielding factory teams in the top level of rallying. Follow the jump for the official press release.

PRESS RELEASE

FHI to withdraw from FIA WRC after 2008 season

Tokyo, December 16, 2008 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced the withdrawal from the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) at the end of the 2008 season.

FHI has participated in the WRC together with Prodrive, a motorsports and automotive engineering group in the UK, over the past 19 years to pursue its goal and philosophy in motor sports activities to enhance Subaru brand awareness by showing that Subaru vehicles offer safe, comfortable and pleasurable driving no matter the weather or road conditions, featuring Horizontally-Opposed engine and the Symmetrical All-Wheel drive system as its core technologies, and to transfer results of race-tested technical improvements into Subaru passenger vehicles.

Subaru has won three manufacturer's championship titles and three driver's championship titles in its history of rally racing. This has helped enhance the value of the Subaru brand as well as the sales expansion of Subaru vehicles all over the world.

FHI considers it has achieved its original target in WRC participation. However, while considering positioning the WRC activity in Subaru branding strategy towards the future, our business environment has been dramatically changed due to the quick deterioration of the global economy. In order to optimize the management resources and to strengthen further the Subaru brand, FHI decided to withdraw from WRC activities at the earliest timing.

As regards future involvement in rally activities, FHI will continue to support teams and drivers that participate in P-WRC or the Group N category.

President Mori commented that reaching this decision has been an extremely difficult task, not least with regards to the countless Subaru fans that for many years have cheered the legendary Subaru blue liveried Impreza World Rally Car; "We would like to express our sincere appreciation for our fans' strong and loyal support worldwide. They will remain an invaluable treasure for us."

Capitalizing on the priceless experience gained throughout the history in the WRC field, FHI will continue to offer Subaru customers products that integrate sheer excitement, safe, comfortable and reliable driving, respect of the global environment and peace of mind based on its philosophy of "Customer comes first."

About Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, is a leading manufacturer in Japan with a long history of technological innovations that dates back to its origin as an aircraft company. While the automotive business is a main business pillar, FHI's Aerospace, Industrial Products and Eco Technologies divisions offer a diverse range of products from general-purpose engines, power generators, and sanitation trucks to small airplanes, crucial components for passenger aircrafts, and wind-powered electricity generating systems. Recognized internationally for its AWD (all-wheel drive) technology and Horizontally-Opposed engines in Subaru, FHI is also spearheading the development of environmentally friendly products and is committed to contributing to global environmental preservation.

From autoblog

This completely sucks.

It has ruined one of the yearly events that I go to, infact, ruined the whole WRC Championship for me. I've supported Subaru since the McRae days, even though they've had quite a long run of bad luck the last few years. I was seriously hoping Atkinson or Solberg could pull something out of the bag for next year, but that will be impossible now.

If they arn't in it next year, it'll be the end of an era if this conversion to S 2000 cars is going ahead for 2010.

Pointless me going to WRC Wales Rally GB next year. Citroen and the whole Loeb thing, I hate it, it's ruined the sport for me ontop of Subaru pulling out. Loeb winning every year, too predictable, boring.

Need some classic rallying back like the good old days when Burns, McRae and Makinen were still rallying.

It's just unbelievable how many teams are dropping like flies. I won't be surprised to see a few more F1 teams dropping out mid-season like Super Aguri this year due to the global economy. But Subaru pulling out of WRC is unthinkable. It's the car brand most associated with rallying and vice versa. The moment someone thinks car rallies, they think blue and yellow (okay, blue and silver this year but you get my point). Back when Mitsubishi pulled out I wasnt following motorsports so avidly so it didn't affect me too much but this is incredible and such a shame.

Almost all motorsports have gone to pot recently. I want the sort of racing they showed on the TG Touring Cars vid!

• 2 weeks later...

Why Subaru will regret pulling out

If Subaru pulls out of Motorsports they will possibly lose their dwindling fan base because of this only parents on the Schoolrun,hardcore fans and some hoons will buy Subarus and STI might go out of business and cost Subaru millions of dollars But their is a good reason for pulling out the new rules state no Boxer engines are permitted.And boxer engines are what sets Subaru apart from their competition