We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Windows 7 for £45? Are they mad?

The Queen

Yes, thats right. Windows 7 Home Premium is only £45 (RRP £150), but for a limited time only.

Up until the 9th August if you preorder Windows 7 from either Curry's, PC World or Comet (I'm unsure if theres any other place doing this offer), you can get a copy of the Launch Edition Windows 7 Home Premium for only £45. The Professional Edition is slightly more at £90, but you won't really need any of the extra's that come with the Professional edition unless it's business related.

I personally think it's a steal and was going to get Windows Vista a while back but didn't due to money reasons. I have always wanted to upgrade from XP and was seriously thinking about going for Windows 7 later this year and I guess this offer has confirmed it for me. As far as I know, this is only open to UK residents although I could be proved wrong about that.

So who else is going for this offer or are you happy with XP or Vista for the time being? ;)

Wow, with this offer, they will be getting one more sale :D Although, I will look into what they have done in terms of slightly less urh ... well I'll shut up :) I feel a ban hammer creaking.

E: Just read the small print, saying it doesnt come with an internet browser! They're not even making us use IE8?! Result!

Read the 'Important:' bit.

windows7test_currys_04.jpg

So is this just the upgrade disc for vista I take it?? And would I be right in stating that its only 32bit editions and not 64bit??

@ Iced, Microsoft are cutting down on the amount or "freebies" they release with their OS and have a site dedicated for downloading them.

That sucks that they aren't doing this for Ultimate x64, otherwise i'd preorder. But I want the auto back-up, bitlocker and virtual XP and none of which you get in the home premium edition and you don't get all in the professional edition.

So is this just the upgrade disc for vista I take it?? And would I be right in stating that its only 32bit editions and not 64bit??

@ Iced, Microsoft are cutting down on the amount or "freebies" they release with their OS and have a site dedicated for downloading them.

The E stands for European. Because it's the E version, you have to perform a fresh install. E versions of Windows 7 are not allowed to come bundled with IE8 otherwise they get taken to European court and get a rather big fine again.

They had to make the E version because of the european anti-trust court case.

agree with you about the x64 mellors.

Wasn't that court case about forcing people (without them knowing) to use IE as most don't know they have a choice and are unfairly dominating the market with it. I'm sure that was the reason about that court case or one of them anyways

agree with you about the x64 mellors.

Wasn't that court case about forcing people (without them knowing) to use IE as most don't know they have a choice and are unfairly dominating the market with it. I'm sure that was the reason about that court case or one of them anyways

Yea, that was part of it. But the European court ruled that Windows 7 cannot be sold in the EU with IE8 bundled with it and user must perform a fresh install. IMO it's a bit OTT from the court. It would of been easier to just make them bundle 7 with a second browser like Firefox or Chrome.

There will be an OEM upgrade, there always is, probably on scan, ebuyer and the like.

Edit:

Just seen mellors post, so does that mean no OEM??

I'm sure there will be an OEM, but it will be the europian version of it.

Although you could import a copy from the US, it'll probably work out cheaper and allow a Vista upgrade.

It would of been easier to just make them bundle 7 with a second browser like Firefox or Chrome.

That's actually what the court would've wanted; that users could select the browser in the install, but for some reason MS decided not to include any browsers then.

That's actually what the court would've wanted; that users could select the browser in the install, but for some reason MS decided not to include any browsers then.

Why should Microsoft include browes from there competitors? If you buy Windows 7 you get a cd with internet explorer 8 with it. And most people (who dont know much about pc's etc...) think that this:

internet_explorer_7_logo.png

stands for internet

So a lott of people who buy it will install the disk with IE8 also. And if you buy a pre made pc (like acer, dell etc...) there probably will be a browser installed already.

Wait, what?

What's all this about an EU court ruling? I can't just upgrade from Vista? I have to format this and do a fresh install?

Well [insert expletive] that. I may just do what was suggested and get a US version from somewhere, sometime, and do an upgrade. Does the fact that I'm running Vista x64 pose a problem though?

Wait, what?

What's all this about an EU court ruling? I can't just upgrade from Vista? I have to format this and do a fresh install?

Well [insert expletive] that. I may just do what was suggested and get a US version from somewhere, sometime, and do an upgrade. Does the fact that I'm running Vista x64 pose a problem though?

No, it just means that the version you upgrade to will also have to be x64.

Hi guys,

Yes its a megga bargain, I have been Beta testing the Windows 7 for a few months now and Microsoft have offered me the same deal, home for £45 and pro for £90...

Now as with all beta testing on any software there are bugs and there was 3 that I got as a constant.

1, Random restarts...

2, Game crashing, restarting or just refusing to start at all.

3, More Blue screens of death for a number of different reasons.

I wrote to Microsoft and have told them of all the probs and they take all feedback from all beta testers and work at it thats why this will be the best OS since XP...

I totally refuse to put Vista on my system as its the worst OS ever, now thats my opinion but I know that it is shared with a number of Computer outlets and Computer Parts shops.

For those of you that have Vista and it works for you, if your happy good thats your choice. But it is hungry on Mem and other requirments of your system.

If vista owners upgrade they will not notice that much change as regards the OS visually.

If you are on XP Pro like me then you will love the new OS system.

Like I said I had a couple of probs that made it hard for me to run my system optimally.

All my games crashed but I put that down to the Graphics card I have at the moment, 7900GTX, I am putting in at the end of the month a Asus Geforce GTX260 216 core and that will make a huge difference.

excuse the poor spelling, I am a bit DIXLOXIKKKKK... Haha why do they make that word so hard to spell?

Just read that there is no 32bit and 64bit versions as they both ship on the same disc.

Product Features

Windows 7 Ultimate is the most versatile and powerful edition of Windows 7. It combines remarkable ease-of-use with the entertainment features of Home Premium and the business capabilities of Professional, including the ability to run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode. For added security, you can encrypt your data with BitLocker and BitLocker To Go. And for extra flexibility, you can work in any of 35 languages. Get it all with Windows 7 Ultimate.

32-bit or 64-bit? For your convenience, every copy of Windows 7 Ultimate includes both 32-bit and 64-bit discs.

For more information on installing Windows 7, browsing the internet with Windows 7 and more, take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.

Is Windows 7 Ultimate right for you? Be sure with our Windows 7 comparison chart.

More work, more play, and more of everything in between. Click to enlarge.

Manage lots of open programs, documents, and browser windows easily with thumbnail and full-screen previews of open windows. Click to enlarge.

With Snap you can arrange two windows side-by-side just by dragging them to opposite sides of your screen. Click to enlarge.

Open files you use regularly in just two clicks with Jump Lists on the improved taskbar.

Everything you need for work and home

Easiest Windows to use ever

Simplify your PC with new navigation features like Aero Shake, Jump Lists and Snap

Customise Windows to look and feel the way you like by changing themes and taskbar programs

Easy to network (with or without a server)

Back up your complete system over a network

Faster and more flexible

Windows XP Mode gives you the business flexibility you need

Designed to make your PC sleep and resume quicker

Takes full advantage of 64-bit PC hardware and memory

Best PC entertainment experience

Watch, pause, rewind and record TV with Windows Media Center

Blu-ray read/write support for data files

Includes integrated video and Dolby audio codecs

Simplifies Everyday Tasks

Simple to use

Preview

Manage lots of open programs, documents and browser windows easily with thumbnail and full-screen previews of open windows.

Pin

Open files and get around your PC faster with the improved taskbar. You can easily pin programs you use often to the taskbar and launch them in just one click.

Windows 7 lets you peek behind open windows to get a quick look at your desktop. Click to enlarge.

Instantly locate and open virtually any file on your PC right from the Start menu with Windows Search. Click to enlarge.

Jump Lists

Open files you use regularly in just two clicks with Jump Lists on the improved taskbar.

Snap

Windows 7 has simple new ways to manage open windows. For example, with Snap you can arrange two windows side-by-side just by dragging them to opposite sides of your screen.

Peek and Shake

Windows 7 lets you peek behind open windows to get a quick look at your desktop.

Windows Search

Instantly locate and open virtually any file on your PC, from documents to emails to songs, right from the Start menu, with Windows Search.

Easy to connect

Setting up wireless connections is easier with consistent, one-click connections to available networks. Click to enlarge.

Windows Touch makes PCs with touch screens easier and more intuitive to use. Click to enlarge.

Turn your PC into a TV with Windows Media Center, and enjoy your favorite videos and music with Windows Media Player. Click to enlarge.

Wireless setup

With Windows 7, setting up wireless connections is easier with consistent, one-click connections to available networks, whether those networks are based on Wi-Fi, mobile broadband, dial-up or corporate VPN.

HomeGroup

Connect Windows 7 PCs on a home network in just four clicks and easily get to the photos, music and files on each one--even shared printers--with HomeGroup.

Easy to communicate and share

Windows Live Photo Gallery

Windows Live Photo Gallery makes share your photos to your favorite photo site easy.

Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail makes managing multiple email accounts easy.

Windows Live Family Safety

Keep your child safe by managing what sites they can visit and who they can send/receive emails and im communications from.

Works The Way You Want

Faster and More Reliable

Resume from sleep

We designed Windows 7 to help PCs sleep and resume from sleep more quickly by improving the way Windows 7 manages drivers, programs and power.

Faster and more reliable

We reduced the amount of memory your PC needs for open windows and to execute commands to help it be more responsive to commands.

Fewer clicks and less interruptions

Makes New Things Possible

Media on your terms

Windows Media Center

Turn your PC into a TV with Windows Media Center.

Windows Media Center

Watch shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV.

DirectX 11

DirectX 11 technology delivers breathtaking game graphics so real, it's unreal.

New ways to engage

Windows Touch

Windows Touch makes PCs with touch screens easier and more intuitive to use.

Media on your terms

Windows Media Player

More and more consumer electronics, from TVs to digital photo frames, can be connected to home networks. With Play To in Windows 7, you'll be able to easily send music, photos and videos from your PC to a networked device throughout your home.

You can enjoy the photos, music and videos on your home PC when you're away from home with remote media streaming.

Work anywhere

Location Aware Printing

Windows 7 will automatically pick the right printer for you when you move from home to work networks.

Source