We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need For Speed Shift

sanrevo

Thinking about getting it. Just need to decide which system to get it for. My PC has the G25 but my PS3 needs to be used and I wouldn't mind a few new games for it anyway.

PS3 works with the G25, so why not the PS3? Its guaranteed to work well with it :D

Don't know if I want to spend the $110 getting this...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens in the game though is that all 4 wheels are losing grip, thus you see four tire marks on the road. How is it possible for any car, particularly a RWD one, to oversteer and understeer at the same time?

Simple, drive reasonably quickly and turn harshly while keeping your foot planted, then brake to lock up the wheels. Ta-Da!

Okay, not quite the same I admit as it's neither over nor understeer, it's just skidding around. But it's fun. :)

Getting this just to pass time til Forza 3 comes along, which is just passing time for Assassin's Creed 2!

DiRT 2 didn't pass time so well, bought it last week and it was finished in a few hours of play.. Great. Only thing left to do is finish up a few events I missed.

Heh. Originally posted this in the Photos thread due to me getting carried away and forgetful...

Seems cool so far.

I'm liking the detail on the cockpits alot.

Currently have an Audi S3, BMW M3 E36 and Subaru Impreza. Could of bought something twice as good as the M3 or Impreza because I had $192,000 but I like them.

Turning into corners seems a bit weird in my opinion. I find myself correcting the angle that I steer into the corner alot of the time. Not bothered by it, I quite like it. I'm too used to TDU/GTR Evo.

Vehicle sounds are nice. The Impreza engine sound actually resembles the sound of a real Impreza for the first time ever in a game I've bought.

lvl. 24, world tour open, tuned 997 GT2, normal 370Z for drift and fully tuned 135i and 4.000.000 cash :D

it´s quite a lot of fun, i like to drive the nürburgring nordschleife and i must say that the veyron is a crappy car, zonda R, mclaren, carrera gt are all much better in handling, koenigsegg is also not really good, too much sliding.

don´t buy the reventon, it´s not that fast and you can feel the weight, also it´s only 0.5 points above murcielago and costs double or triple cash.

It's a good game.

Handling feels like GTR with some controls that step in and prevent it from getting out of hand.. so not as nice as GTR:Evo but a significant improvement on previous NFS games and others like Grid. The main problem is lack of decent controller setups - and not that many options to adjust yourself. Once you do get a good setup though it's perfectly possible to drive the cars without sliding them which is more rewarding (and faster).

You can't simply boost power without consequences either - downforce and tyres need to be upgraded or it's very easy to slide again, and they've added slipping clutches so there's a need to upgrade the drivetrain as well.

Multiplayer is both the game's biggest strength and it's weakness - underneath it's a really sound game, but there's very little choice in how you join games - it randomly chooses a lobby to send you to, which is frustrating. As is the enforced start of the match 2 minutes after the second person joins the lobby.

There are some bugs, of course, like car setups disappearing or worse, setting themselves completely wrongly, but the game is very stable.

AI acts like the majority of players you meet online, which is to say, very rudely. Can be frustrating when you're trying to race cleanly but other players or the AI want to play bumper cars. Best recommendation is to get some friends who you know race cleanly, then try and get together with them for races.. but with the multiplayer setup that's easier said than done!

Graphically it gives a wonderful sense of speed with all the track objects hurtling past you and the blurring effects, but some aspects aren't as pretty as Grid.. that said you won't be taking the time to notice in a close race, or even just some of the faster cars as they demand a lot of concentration!

@Kal

is HC TDU driving even slightly comparable to Shift no aids driving?

In a word, no.

TDU HC physics let you know (sort of) what's happening under the car.

In Shift it's blind luck if you survive a turn with a slight bump in the road.

Had a very weird moment in a GT3 RS earlier, clipped the inside curb and the front end was bouncing up and down for about 200 metres, wth?

Oh, and the car sometimes decides to play hop scotch mid corner, nothing you can do other than come off the controls altogether and wait for it to stop bouncing.

Other than that, fun game. ^^

@Kal

is HC TDU driving even slightly comparable to Shift no aids driving?

Yes, at low speeds they are quite similar. At higher speeds though the Shift driving model is much better - it handles downforce and sprung weight transfer much more accurately and it's far more driveable as a result.

I've never had this bouncing thing that some others have, so I'm not sure if it's a particular setup issue or even a computer speed problem - I've tried all the cars that supposedly have the problem and they've been fine for me.

Yes, at low speeds they are quite similar. At higher speeds though the Shift driving model is much better - it handles downforce and sprung weight transfer much more accurately and it's far more driveable as a result.

Good to know that! Can't wait for my postman any longer....:wait::toetap:

thanks mate

As you know modding has already taken off with SHIFT, interesting to see but inside a file called 'VehiclesGlobal.bff' there are these cars inside.

ferrari_599

ferrari_california

ferrari_f50gt

ferrari_f430

ferrari_f430_gtc

ferrari_fxx

ferrari_superamerica

maybe a DLC in the future

"ferrari pack"

some people converted the dashboard for a game SLRR

My first post woo :thumbsup:, sorry if i rant :-x

While NFSS looks nice and may even play nice, its a shame EA didn't actually finish the game properly.

It is full of bugs on ALL systems. Really stupid things too, such as..

Half the time at the start of a race the girl will appear half inside the car.

If you play drift mode in quick play you have no car engine sounds, but do in career mode, in fact drift mode seems to be the one they REALLY didn't pay attention to.

on some races the wheel ( on the car ) will turn 90 degrees so when you start the race, the car slams into the side wall.

in the invitational races the viper vs the ford gt if you take the viper it sometimes wont launch till after the gt is far enough away to win the race.

Sometimes ( in fact a LOT of times ESP in drift mode ) you can finish a race, click the replay button and it actually gives you full control of the car, but on an external ( track side) camera, you can drive for about 3-6 seconds before the replay ends, i had it stick in replay mode once. i couldn't get out of it without quitting the game..

There are also a load of other glitches/bugs, people have been complaining about it for days now on the EA forums and plenty of other places.

Its like they got half way through building the game and passed it over to blind game testers. Even stupid things like sometimes grass will poke through the track or even be floating in mid air. HOW can they miss such obvious things as that ??

As i said its not just restricted to the PC version the PS3 and Xbox versions all have the same or similar problems. They spent too long making it look pretty and no where near enough time making it actually work.

I haven't witnessed anything glitchy with the game at all. Certainly none of the ones mentioned above.

All smooth sailing so far for me on the PC.

I completely agree with what you've said, the only bug or annoyance I've had is the bouncing, nothing of what was said above, oh and I play on 360.

There are a few bugs, but nothing major and stability-wise the game is solid. My main gripe is that a lot of things seem cut down compared to other games like the multiplayer options, as if they had to lock down the game. But I'm pretty sure they'll improve some of these things over time - the first patch already added in mouse control and LAN mutliplayer.

Just played 6 hours of it, my feedback:

-Motion/Radial Blur lags up my game like crazy, causing me to crash unintentionally lots of times. Switched it off and thankfully, it no longer lagged.

-The grass would appear on the track sometimes.

-It's impossible to drift when playing with the keyboard.

-Sometimes when driving into grass, my whole screen would be blocked by some purple or black thing, and I will crash, again. I think it could be a graphic card problem, though it's a new 512mb HD4550 card.

-Some races are impossible to win, because no matter how fast you drive, the computer is always faster using the same car.

However, I suspect the game may be much more fun when playing with a wheel, which I have (but Vista just doesn't want to install it).

Good thing was, I didn't buy it. Guess TDU is probably still the best game purchase I've ever made, my TDU 2 kitty is already full and waiting to be spent (including megapacks etc.)! :D