We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Toyota FT86. New Celica?

Shy Guy

Toyota-FT-86-Concept-0.jpg

Toyota's President Akio Toyoda has said the automaker is in desperate need of an excitement injection, and here's the first dose: the Toyota FT-86 Concept.

Inspired by the Corolla-based AE86 sports coupe of the '80s, the FT-86 concept was designed by the automaker's ED2 styling studio in France and bears a remarkable resemblance to the FT-HS Concept shown at the Detroit Auto Show several years back.

Since it's a "concept," Toyota hasn't divulged much about the FT-86 yet, but we do know it's powered by a Subaru-derived 2.0-liter boxer four sending power to the rear wheels. Toyota focused on keeping the weight down to improve handling and, according to one source, the platform is unique to the concept. The engine sits lower in the engine bay to aid aerodynamics while keeping the center of gravity in check, and the overall dimensions of Toyota's new 2+2 are 163.78 inches long and 69.29 inches wide, with a wheelbase of 101.18 inches.

After the FT-86 bows in concept form at the Tokyo Motor Show next month, the production model will be shown sometime next year with sales beginning sometime in late 2011 carrying a sticker price somewhere north of $20,000.

Source:http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/toyko-2009-preview-toyota-ft-86-concept-brings-back-the-hachiro/

Gallery:http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/toyota-ft-86-concept/#2

I personally love the looks, it resembles the Supra in a way and has a modern fresh look of the FT-HS without the hoover look, I think Toyota is finally going the right direction design-wise. Though the rear end isn't so good.

Ah, so this is the final result of that Toyobaru sports car Autocar were banging on about...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Subaru-Concepts/232133/

Looks alright I guess. I don't quite like the rear bootlid area (they should've just made it a fastback), and the rear bumper bulges out too much. But I do love all those creases and angles, particularly that slash just below the headlights. Also, is it just me, or does that front end have hints of Nissan 370Z about it?

There was A Thread about this a while back Saying "its the new supra" and this one "New Celica?" I Dont see Supra or Celica in its name so it obviously isnt either of those, its called the FT86, Which means brand new car.

And Car Freak i think its the front bumper that looks kinda 370Z-ish its that big grill in it lol

From the side it looks a bit like a Nissan GTR with a bit of the front end hacked off to make it more angular. Honestly, I'd like to see a toned-down version of the styling. This concept styling just looks a little....off. And that interior? :wtf: But when the production version comes out, I wonder how long it will take for someone to figure out how to transplant a 2JZ into it :D

How is this "inspired by the AE86" The AE's a beauty, this is pig ugly.

Fix'd. :P

j/k j/k.

I think it looks okay, but drawing comparisons to the AE86 doesn't make much sense to me. It's more akin to the Prodrive P2, in my opinion - a lightened two-door Impreza.

Thank goodness for the lack of any hybrid mess, either. Finally, a halfway mechanic-understandable new Toyota :P

I'm interested to figure out what the chassis code for this car will be - especially because Subaru engine codes are not covered under Toyota's car naming scheme. :P

EJT240, EJA90, or EJ(some other letter that hasn't been used)10 makes the most sense.

EDIT: The engine code is claimed to be C-40 by Jalopnik. What the...? :confused: C has already been the name of an engine series by Toyota (an inline-four), and the 40 makes no sense, except as possibly the displacement times two.