We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

yep, xbox is now dying in another way, the disk drive has given up on me this time, which is just what I need... the disk just goes in the machine, the dash says it's reading and it just isn't, because i can't hear the usual 'plane taking off' sound coming from it.

thinking of trying to fix this one myself, as the warranty is expired anyway

yep, xbox is now dying in another way, the disk drive has given up on me this time, which is just what I need... the disk just goes in the machine, the dash says it's reading and it just isn't, because i can't hear the usual 'plane taking off' sound coming from it.

thinking of trying to fix this one myself, as the warranty is expired anyway

I had the same problem on a Hitachi 51 drive

you need to open your xbox the reconnect the sata and power cables in the back of the dvd drive, these come lose on the Hitachi series for some reason.

Failing that you'll need to replace the dvd drive, these can be found on ebay for around £20. I advise getting either the Ben-Q or the Siemens drives (Ben-Q being the more expensive)

These work great and as your are opening the case and dvd drive you may as well flash your drive to play your backed up games (of course you need the original's ;) )

lol, my launch console lasted till the following march! 3 months!

These work great and as your are opening the case and dvd drive you may as well flash your drive to play your backed up games (of course you need the original's ;) )

could you pm the details of flashing my drive for *cough* backups

E: sorry for double post, merge pls

well, i've cracked the xbox open. The power was connected, and the drive does spin the disk a little, but only very slowly. It seems like a fault with the motor, cause when i move it there is major resistance, much more that any other disk drives (CD players/Dreamcast) i'm guessing that either the motor is burned, or more hopefully, that the motor is clogged with hair or something, that i can rectify by taking it out and giving it a good clean...

also, M$ are so cheap, the disk drive is the same one as my launch console by the looks, and they've just changed things as they break, considering that the MFR date of the drive (Hitatchi LG) is october 2005...

tempted to just buy an arcade and use the current one as a media centre

Interesting "tags" for this topic:

about relationships, and i wish she would, get hit by a bus, my mum is a naggy bitch, who knows nothing

LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, for some reason i fixed it yesterday by showing someone what was wrong with it (as is always the way) I opened the drive case, and as usual it wasn't spinning, so to take the piss i decided to play budget DJ hero... next thing i know the drive is very slowly spooling up.

I've never been so happy to see 'play viva piñata' in my life :P

• 2 weeks later...