We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

UK motorways to get 60mph limits?

Car Freak

Just saw this on Autocar:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/246142/

Isn't the point of motorways supposed to let vehicles travel at higher speeds so that people can get to their destinations faster, and make transport more time-efficient?

Also, I think that bit about C02 emissions is just rubbish. What kind of research was that, and how can they be so sure that it'd be the case for all vehicles? And why is the whole world (the UK in particular, from what i've observed) so fixated on C02 emissions? Yes, it is a major contributing factor to climate change, but it surely can't be the only factor?

Even though I live halfway round the world, this does worry me quite a bit, that governments all around the world will follow suit. Coincidentally, I just watched the Doctor Who episode The Sound of Drums (S3 E12), where the British PM (the Doctor's arch-enemy in disguise) goes all loony and tries to bring about the end of the world. Either funnily or scarily, what the UK government is doing now makes me think a lot about that episode...

I wish I could say this surprises me. A permanent drop in the speed limit on motorways would cause endless amounts of problems for businesses; commuting would be terrible. 10mph difference doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that almost every person who uses motorways to get to work leave home in the morning at a set time to get to work at a set time, this would just cause more problems than it would fix. It may also cause people to resort to routes on A roads and other smaller roads to get to work and cause even more traffic problems around the country.

Seeing as they love to do so much research, maybe they should research some common sense next.

To be honest, does anyone go at 60mph in rush hour? No. Is this a pointless? Yes. I thought the idea when you were about to lose an upcoming general election was to make snap decisions to win votes, I find it hard to see this winning much support from the public.