We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Should I buy an XBOX 360 (Forza 3)

Ryzza5

Should I spend ~$500AU buying an XBOX 360 Elite console + Forza 3  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I spend ~$500AU buying an XBOX 360 Elite console + Forza 3

• Definately, it's worth heaps more than that.
    • The game's good, but you can probably survive until Gran Turismo comes out.
    • It's only worth playing if you have a compatible force-feedback wheel, so save your money.

Hi Guys

A number of stores in Australia are offering a XBOX 360 Elite with 5 free games (I'd be trading in at least 2 of them straight away) for about $388 AU. Forza 3 is included as one of the games.

My main question is if Forza 3 is so good to the extent that I should buy a whole console and Gold subscription to play it? Please use the poll options above.

PC is my platform of choice, when I do have a choice. My computer is (or was, or will be) faster than both the 360 and PS3 (my graphics card went bust a month ago and I've preordered a nVidia 480 GTX). Playing on the PC allows me in most cases to use ButtKicker, TrackIR, and the Logitech G25 for a great immersive experience. I can also film videos using Fraps on PC, I can easy chat to others using a keyboard (not a fan of voice chat). The PC lets you upgrade whatever you want, and prices are competitive between stores.

I also own a PS3. I purchased it mainly for its media centre capabilities (was cheaper, better looking, smaller, quiter than building a HTPC) for the living room. I can stream my collection of TopGear videos stored on my HDD across the inbuilt WiFi and watch them via HDMI on my 42" TV. Since most Sony brand BluRay players almost cost as much as the PS3 (or they did when I bought it), it was a no-brainer.

While waiting for the GTX 480, I've moved the PS3 into my room, connected it via HDMI to my 24" monitor, connected the G25, and have been playing Midnight Club LA, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and Super and Ferrari Challenge by System 3. The G25 works superbly with these games, making them a lot easier than when I first attempted them with the PS3 controller (which I don't like).

I already have a XBOX 360 Wired controller for the PC, which is nice. I've used it for games that don't support the G25 too well, like FUEL and Flat Out: Ultimate Carnage. I couldn't stand using it for games like NFS Shift or GTR Evolution, however.

The G25 will never work on the XBOX 360, the XBOX 360 wheel is rubbish compared to the G25, and the Fanatec wheels are either expensive or not faantastically reliable from external forum posts that I have read.

I know Forza 3 is very good. Had it been released on the PS3 or PC I would have bought it close to launch day. Is it worth $500 though (I'll need a WiFi adapter and a LIVE subscription)?

Do not attempt to start a flame war comparing the PS3 to the XBOX, or Forza 3 to Gran Turismo 5. I am well informed about both items. Inappropriate comments will be removed if necessary.

As I said on your profile page, with the equipment you already have and as this purchase would initially be for just one game I can't recommend it despite how much I enjoy my 360. Didn't vote as my opinion on it doesn't really fit into the categories.

I won't mention that Forza 3 gets boring pretty damn quick.

Dont trow your money... Stick to PC and PS3

Helpful.

It depends how much of a "hardcore" gamer you are, I think that the 360 has other games you might enjoy, like the PGR series or Race Pro, and maybe this is the fanboy inside me, but I believe that TDU2 might be better on 360 than on PS3 (but not as good as the PC) if you fancy being part of the console community (pretty much the best part of the moderators)

The reason I think it'll be better is the fact that TDU1 didn't have a PS3 version (and the PS2 and PSP versions were made by a studio in Aus) and Eden's Alone in the Dark for PS3 came out 5 Months after the other versions, and was only slightly better because they changed certain things which made the PC and 360 versions tank.

There's also other xbox IPs that I hope would make a return, like the legendary Rallisport series.

If you want to step outside the world of Racers, the 360 also has a really impressive library...

In short: If you want Forza, and just Forza, and then you'll stop playing the 360 once GT5 comes out, then no, GT5 is only coming out in October, wait...

If you want a 360, with the benefit of playing forza then I reckon it could be worthwhile, because I've always considered the 360 better for racers, particularly because of the controller (although I use a rather knackered 360 FFB wheel...)

Exactly. I'd rather play a good game offline with a good wheel than a good game online with a gamepad. Who here still plays Fuel, for example (ok there are other issues threre).

I have about 80 games (not all installed). 90% are racers, 1 is FSX, 1 is FIFA, the rest are old small games or Nintendo/PSX emulators. I'm not a fantastic racer (no better than above-average anyway) especially in in sims like GTR Evo, and that's the great thing about TDU: it's a driving game more than a racing game.

I think I will wait at least until after GT5 and TDU2 come out before worrying about Forza. Maybe it will be cheaper when Natal comes out. Then I could keep the PS3 in my room where I can connect it with the PS3 and use the 360 in the lounge room, since it has a proper Windows Media Centre extender. We'll wait and see. I still have to put my money towards a new (8-month old, second hand) Golf 6 hopefully in a few months.