We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

XBOX 360 Elite - Where are my audio connections?

Ryzza5

Hi guys

I finally took the plunge and got myself an XBOX 360 Elite Bundle. I was hoping to play Forza 3 today, but I haven't got any audio cable options.

I connected the 360 to my 24" LCD monitor via HDMI (which has speakers and pass-thru), but I just get an Out of Range error. The console is outputting at 1080p but at 50Hz, whereas my screen requires 60Hz for this HDMI. My PS3 worked fine using the same monitor and cable.

I grabbed a HDMI to DVI cable and can now see the display. But I can't send audio via DVI so I have no sound. The only other cable I have is component, which I don't use on any of my AV systems. I don't have any adapters for that either.

A few Google search results claim that you can change to 60Hz, but they refer to the old blade interface. I've had a look in system settings and didn't see anything.

I would've expected the 360 (at least the Elite version) to have an Optical out connection straight from the motherboard like the PS3 does. I did a quick Ebay search and bought the Audio adapter that has the Red/White RCA and optical out plugs, but now I'm reading that the only way to use that in conjunction with HDMI is to crack open the plastic housing on the audio adapter.

I knew the 360 was bad hardware-wise, but seriously?

The ETA for the adapter is 7-14 days. Is there any way for me to get audio before then?

Yes, the only way to get Optical out is to use the component cable. So to get it with HDMI you have to rip the plastic off the component cable so it will fit side by side with the HDMI. It is utterly stupid. My HDMI goes straight into my TV with the audio signal which the TV then forwards to my surround sound by Optical out.

You can try messing about in the System settings. When you choose a new resolution it will ask if it displays correctly, when you say yes it then tries the next Hz range. However at no point does it tell you which one it's using. I have tried extensively to get my 360 to output PAL 60Hz (for the sake of one arcade game) but it seems to always result in 50Hz. You can try clicking various yes, no combos in desperation but as I said.. I've never got far with it.

Your problem with the audio only being carried at 60Hz is new to me.

EDIT:

You can try this, never done it myself though.

To set your Xbox 360 console to PAL 60 Hz, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the Xbox 360 console.

2. Find the HDTV switch on the AV Connector, and then set the switch to TV.

3. Turn on the Xbox 360 console.

4. In the Xbox Dashboard, select System, and then press the A button.

5. Select Console Settings, and then press the A button.

6. Select Display, and then press the A button.

7. Select PAL settings, and then press the A button.

8. Select PAL-60, and then press the A button.

9. When you are prompted to keep these new settings, confirm the settings, and then press the A button.

10. Turn off the Xbox 360 console.

11. Set the HDTV switch on the AV Connector to HDTV.

Edit 2: Forgot that won't work with HDMI >.<

I'll keep an eye out for it. The living room is getting carpeted *s00n* which is why the HDTV is unavailable atm. For now I've just done a race in FM3 and PGR4 and so far, so good.

Does anyone know what the Display Reference Level is in the system Settings menu?

Have you considered the 'Audio Out' only cable thats available for the 360 to use in conjunction with an HDMI cable? I bought one because of my new 50" plasma wanting to run the audio into my surround sound amp and the video to the monitor.

The I realized I did not need it.

I just ran the HDMI into the monitor then ran RCA audio out from the TV into my surround amp, problem solved.

May have already been mentioned here but did not see it?

This will keep you from having to peel or cut off plastic to make both fit.

Of course if you refuse to spend more $$$ on Xbox cables I could see where some would just resort to cutting plastic off.

Yes, I bought the advanced HDMI AV cable thingo for $50 and got it working. So assuming the majority of people need this cable, the 360 Elite is the same price as the PS3 (which has BluRay). I will concede that the 360 has a better interface, but what else would expect from Microsoft compared to what is essentially a Linux variant. :)

I've got a Gold membership card, but I won't validate it until I get a bit further into the offline career modes of a few games.